+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 21 month old suddenly lost balance

Hi fellow bubhubbers,

Just wondering whether anyone else has been through this before. 21 month DD has a cold and this evening she suddenly lost balance and nearly fell over. It was like she was dizzy or something and couldn't walk in a straight line. She managed to steady herself again but when she tried to walk again it happened again. The fact that she looked scared and cried afterwards is making me worried....it's like she's aware something's wrong.

I was thinking it could be fluid in her ears affecting her balance but I'm also concerned it's something else. She was holding a few keyrings in one hand when it happened but I doubt they were heavy enough to cause her being off-balanced. She did hit her forehead very lightly yesterday and is quite accident prone, but she didn't have any falls or anything today at childcare. She's been more grumpy in the past few days which I just simply put down to her cold.

Any responses will be appreciated, thanks!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first thought was an ear infection. My DS suffers from them and he is very off balance when he gets them. I would be taking her to the doctors to get her checked if your concerned. Better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkandSandy View Post
    My first thought was an ear infection.
    This was what I was thinking too. It could be something else however the fact you have said she currently has a cold makes me immediately think ear infection.

It is so hard when they can't tell you how they are feeling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be heading off to the doctors this morning. My ds has lost his balance twice that I can recall. He's usually very much a 'stable' boy and didn't run into things or fall even when he was starting walking. Then one day, probably at about the same age as your dd he walked on an angle in the hallway & hit a wall. Very out of character. Turns out he had an ear abscess (nasty infection). Then, a year ago I fell into the corner of a wall and cut his head open, resulting in lots of screams (he was nearly 4.5) and my poor dh (who was home alone) had to call 000. Rather memorable all 'round. Didn't even think about an ear infection (silly us) til a day later and then got his ears checked and he had a dreadful infection and he couldn't actually hear out of 1 ear for a week.

So, definitely get your dd checked. My ds has had lots of infections, but it's only been the bad ones that affect his balance.