+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Am I crazy? Planning a trip at 32 weeks pregnant

I am out of my depth here and need some advice from other mummies.

I am currently 21 weeks pregnant and live in adelaide. There is a two day course in the suburbs of melbourne thati am dying to go to. The only catch is i will be 32 weeks pregnant by the time of the course. I travel regularly to melbourne via plane but have never driven there. I am an old hat at distance driving, used to drive to adelaidefrom darwin every year. I figure i will need to takemy partner to share the driving. I just have no clue if travelling that latein the pregnancy is do-able. Will i be far to exhausted to do it?

This is my first pregnancy and so far all is going pretty well, no real health problems etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you're having a good, healthy pregnancy then I don't see why not. You might be a bit uncomfortable sitting for long periods but if you stretch regularly, you should be okay.

I travelled around 30-32 weeks with both my pregnancies, by plane and car - although I think my longest car trip was around 3.5 hours.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lock and Lu For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd do it. In fact I'll be driving to Adelaide (6.5 hours away) at 31 weeks, then flying to the Gold Coast, then coming back (and doing the drive again) when I am 33 weeks.

I'd be much more comfortable driving from Adelaide to Melbourne than where I am driving - in the outback, with lots of nothing and no phone reception for hundreds of kms at a time!

Just have lots of stops so you can get out a stretch

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Von Zipper For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I travelled at 33 weeks - flew from Canberra to Melbourne and then drove to Warrnambool, and then back to Canberra in one weekend. I'm glad I did it (it was for a friend's wedding) but there's no way I'll do it again!! I was absolutely exhausted and it can get very uncomfortable sitting in the car for long periods of time. Although I think part of the problem was that I was awake for 20 hours straight travelling and then attending the wedding - and poor DS was awake for over eight hours straight because of the noise, by the end of the night he was kicking the absolute crap out of me which was quite painful!

We also travelled at 29 weeks - drove from Canberra to Port Macquarie, which I had no problems with (just lots and lots of toilet stops!).

Don't let my experience stop you though, if you factor in breaks you should be fine - but it might be a good idea to have a day or two to recover when you get home.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamilicious For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have the option to fly, just thought it might be safer driving. Although ive just read that it seems quite safe to fly up to 36 weeks. Still worried i will be really tired flying there and back, as well as sitting through an entire two day course.

Juf84 - taking a couple of days off afterwards sounds like an excellent idea. Thanks for the advice.

Von Zipper - wow thats a loooooong trip, i hope it all goes well.

Lock and Lu - thanks for the advice, if i fly i think it will be a really nice short trip. Its usually only a 45 min flight, probably beats an 8 hour drive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely fly. That 36 week thing from the airlines is for long haul flights anyway. For short domestic flights I don't think there's any restriction.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to peoniesarepretty For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think either flying or driving would be fine at 32 wks. Personally I'd fly, rather than sit in the car for that long. I'd mention it to your OB or GP, whoever you're seeing, just so they know. But I think as long as your pregnancy has been smooth and easy-going, you should be fine.

Drink lots of water, keep hydrated, and keep your feet up during the conference if you can. Enjoy your last little trip before bub comes!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyskies For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I drove between Gold Coast and Dubbo at 36 weeks pregnant for a wedding. That meant about 20 hours of driving in one weekend. I was fine, I just made myself very comfy in the car and stopped regularly. I have to say that trip was much easier than the one we did 4 months later with a baby. This might be your last chance to do an easy no kid trip, so I'd definately say go for it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to betherina For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Either flying or driving should be ok at 32 weeks if you are healthy & things are going well.
    At 35 weeks I drove (by myself as DF wanted a boys weekend pre-baby) up to visit my parents (3.5hr drive with good traffic) and back in a weekend. Was not too bad, just made sure I had plenty of water & took a decent break mid-drive for a stretch & snack. If the roads are good (I mostly had freeway/highway travel once out of city) it is fairly cruisy so go for it. As pp said, just make yourself comfy & keep hydrated & refreshed with breaks.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, the majority of Australian airlines will allow you to fly for under 2 hours domestically up until the onset of labour. There isnt any 'cabin pressure' safety issues - their main concern is the potential for you to go into labour mid-flight!

I would definitely fly vs driving at that stage (even though I am in my first pregnancy, so technically what-would-I-know?!) as imagine just how much longer the trip will be when you start to factor in repeated loo breaks, rests and the potential for you to be having an 'off day' and being too tired to sufficiently drive/releave your partner from driving.

Plus, why not fly and still consider the trip to be as long as it would have taken you driving...eg if you had planned two days worth of driving (there and back), schedule those two days as rest days...maybe plan to fly up a day earlier and then spend a day at your hotel resting.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to cakeish For This Useful Post:

Taiyed  (23-03-2012)