+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Don't know where to start!

So I am not from a particularly religious family but I would love to get DS baptized or christened and start going to church but have no idea where to start! I would also love for him to go to a catholic or christian school. Nobody I talk to seems to know where to start. I'm not married so dont know if that will cause any issues.
    Would love to know how everyone else has gone about getting their child baptized/christened?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my son was christened... i wasn't married nor did i go to church, it was a nice ceremony and i had a lunch at the end with a cake etc
    i would suggest that you approach the church/s of your choice (or call) and just enquire anonymously. they should be able vo advise you on what steps to take first
    hope this is some help vo you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you set on the Catholic church or would another Christian church be okay? The Catholic church has more rules and regulations than many others so you might find other denominations suit you eg: Uniting Church as they have broader views of what's accepted. I have absolutely nothing against the Catholic church but it's an idea if you are exploring options.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am baptized uniting church so I am really open to that. But I went to a catholic school. The school I am wanting for DS catholic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have emailed uniting about a baptism but I wasn't sure if they would do it because I am not really able to attend church regularly, or "belong" to any church

Thanks
    Reviews
    My understanding is that Catholic schools accept anyone and if you're Christian it's a bonus and Catholic it's a double bonus. I wouldn't get too caught up on that. Most schools are far more liberal than they use to be. Could you ring the school and find out how much difference it might make if you're concerned?

As for where to start, you can just turn up at a church and give it a go. Most churches are very welcoming of new people and most have a person who welcomes people as they arrive to ensure new people feel welcome. (a lot of 'welcomes' in that sentence but you get the message...HA!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! I think I'll take DS down to the local church this weekend

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    we recently got DS baptised, and we were not part of the church at all. We rang the minister and said we'd like to get DS baptised, and the minister came over to our place and explained what happens at the service etc. So on the day of the baptism we went and everyone was soo lovely, and they gave DS a baptism candle and a childrens bible - i think we're going to try and goto church at easter and xmas now..
    Sounds like exactly what I would suit me! Thanks for the help

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm catholic and don't attend church often. I organized DS's baptism this week. You just need to call the church and arrange a time to meet with the priest and he will organize it all