+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DD is 7.5mo and has similar naps to yours. She usually has short naps of 30-60min in the morning and afternoon, and a decent sleep of about 2hrs in the middle of the day. The afternoon nap is hit and miss, sometimes it doesn't happen.

She sleeps well at night, usually from 7:30/8pm to 7:30am with 1-3 night feeds.

What sleep school did you go to? Seems a bit rigid trying to force 2hr naps! We went to Tresillian and they looked at the total sleep over a 24hr period rather than the length of each individual sleep.

I figure that since she sleeps well at night she doesn't always need a lot of day sleep. Also depends so much on what's happening in the day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

OS&N  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    My DD is 7.5mo and has similar naps to yours. She usually has short naps of 30-60min in the morning and afternoon, and a decent sleep of about 2hrs in the middle of the day. The afternoon nap is hit and miss, sometimes it doesn't happen.

She sleeps well at night, usually from 7:30/8pm to 7:30am with 1-3 night feeds.

What sleep school did you go to? Seems a bit rigid trying to force 2hr naps! We went to Tresillian and they looked at the total sleep over a 24hr period rather than the length of each individual sleep.

I figure that since she sleeps well at night she doesn't always need a lot of day sleep. Also depends so much on what's happening in the day.
    I went to Karitane and at every nap they insisted that she should get 1.5-2hr and have an awake period of atleast 2hrs(usually she is awake for 2 hr but sometimes after 1.5hr she'll start getting tired and wnt to sleep..and this is what would bug me that on one hand they are saying to look out for tired signs and on the other hand saying to force her to stay awake for 2hr when she's cleary tired!).
    Nighttime is different every night.usually she requires alot if resettling at her bed time, than will wake up usually twice a night for a feed. oh thats another thing they would say..that if you've fed her before midnight than she doesnt need a feed till 6am and i should try resettling her if she wokeu in between..well i've trued doing that for 4nights and its ended up with her crying for nearly 2 hrs..and when i call their hel line all they say is persist with resettling!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samar81 View Post
    I went to Karitane and at every nap they insisted that she should get 1.5-2hr and have an awake period of atleast 2hrs(usually she is awake for 2 hr but sometimes after 1.5hr she'll start getting tired and wnt to sleep..and this is what would bug me that on one hand they are saying to look out for tired signs and on the other hand saying to force her to stay awake for 2hr when she's cleary tired!).
    Nighttime is different every night.usually she requires alot if resettling at her bed time, than will wake up usually twice a night for a feed. oh thats another thing they would say..that if you've fed her before midnight than she doesnt need a feed till 6am and i should try resettling her if she wokeu in between..well i've trued doing that for 4nights and its ended up with her crying for nearly 2 hrs..and when i call their hel line all they say is persist with resettling!!
    If I try to resettle DD at night and she's hungry, she lets me know loud and clear that it ain't happening!! Tresillian is pretty much all about following cues for young babies. If she's tired, off to bed. Hungry, feed her! Maybe try their helpline next time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    According the Sleepeasy Solutions book bubs of that age ( DS is 8 months tomorrow) should be sleeping anywhere from 13 - 15 hrs out of 24 which is usually 11-12 hrs at night and 2-3 hrs of a day in 2-3 naps. My boy is about as close to this as it gets. He sleeps 11 hrs at night and has 3 naps of a day, Usually one 90 min, one 60 min and one 30-45 min. If though he wakes before an hr for the first 2 naps i try to get him back to sleep.. he usually goes backdown for a bit longer, but not always. SOunds like your bub is pretty much right where she should be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    just wanted to add... 2 hrs is too long to try and re-settle her IMO, obviously there's something else wrong.. I'd feed her. My boy still wakes once a night for a feed..I try to re-settle most times, but often it's easier to feed him. I did the same with my other 2 and never developed any horrible nasty habits that needed breaking. I think sometimes the "professionals" live on a different planet. Feed your baby hon if it will make you feel better!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had virtually no success at getting my ds or my dd back to sleep after 40 - 45 minutes sleep if they wake up. Trying to put them back to sleep just ends up with them still awake & me in tears. Therefore I don't bother.

My dd (6 months this week) can have 5 or more 40-45 minute naps a day! Seriously. She'll be awake for an hour, then sleep for 45 minutes, then repeat until bedtime at night. She doesn't do this all the time, but maybe 2 days a week, especially if we're out cause she'll never sleep longer than 45 minutes if we're out & about.

She's seeming to settle on a long middle of the day sleep now. So, she'll wake up for the day at about 8:30am (when we go to kinder) and then have a short morning nap (45 minutes) at about 9:30am and then a bigger nap at 11:30/12 for 1.5+ hours (it's been 2.5 hours so far today). She'll then have 1 or sometimes 2 more naps of 45 minutes later in the afternoon, finally going to bed around 7 - 8pm. I let her lead - if she's tired, she gets to go to sleep, simple. As for overnight she's feeding 1 - 2 times and I call her 5 - 7am feeds an overnight feed cause she's often keen to go back to bed afterwards even if I can't!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD, who's almost 8 months now, at 6 months had 2 sleeps of 1.5-2 hrs each, an was sleeping through the night.

I find if she cuts short her naps and won't resettle, it's best to get her up, but still try and keep her afternoon nap time the same. This usually involves diversions and visits to the chook pen

But if I don't keep her up, I'll put her to bed and she'll end up fussing around and playing with her dummy and blankets and not going to sleep until about half an hour AFTER what would have been her nap time..... :-/

We are a very routine orientated family, so she gets a bit fussy if her naps get out of whack.