+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default A funky, fun and cool way to toilet train using instictive response

I was reading the free publication Your Child (in Monash), and came upon this article called 'Potty Training Toddlers Made Easy' by Valerie Garner. I thought some BHubbers may be able to try this idea and report as to whether it works for their children, especially as there's been a lot of threads lately about TTraining difficulties. I love this idea and it makes sense ~ the author says she came up with it as her husband used to be in the army, and the old 'dip someone's hand in warm water while they sleep and watch them pee the bed' is at the base of it. Prac Jokes as TTraining basis ~ how cool!

This is my truncated and paraphrased version of the article.

Instinctive Toilet Training for Toddlers

Make sure your child is 'potty ready,' showing interest in pottying, otherwise let them mature a bit more before you try this neat idea.

Make this fun, turn it into a game and give the child ownership of the process and their body.

Get a bucket and keep it near the potty, along with some special water-play toys or things from around the house you don't normally allow for play. Some small jugs or cups, little balls, etc, 3 or 4 items, and make them SPECIAL and EXCLUSIVELY used for potty play. If the child has free access to these toys, this technique won't work, or work as well. This is the only rule to the game ~ these toys are only used when child is SITTING on the potty.

Fill the bucket or large bowl with warm water and offer this to the child for when they are sitting on the potty "Mummy (or Daddy) will give you the water and SPECIAL toys when you sit on the potty," etc. Try to get the child to seat themselves on potty. Place the water in front of them if potty is on the floor, or on a tray-table or step if potty is on regular toilet (if so, you may have to help child onto the potty seat).

When the child dips their hands in the water to play with the toys, they nearly always go potty instantly their hands touch the water, if they physically 'need' to go. If this happens, cheer them on with lots of praise and allow them to play with the toys for as long as they like, as long as they remain on the potty. Offer treats and rewards as you see fit, but the special potty play and Mum and Dad's praise is often enough.

When they are finished, put the special toys and bucket away for next time.

Your child feels good because they often have instant success, gone are the power struggles, it makes co-operating really fun, and Mum or Dad doesn't have to wait around for things to happen, only to have them happen when the nappy goes back on!

Potty training for 'number two's' is not quite so easy, it comes with time and patience, and allowing them to learn in their own space and own way 'relax ~ it will happen'. Good luck and I hope this works for you.

~~~*~~~

My partner suggests that it may be instinctive as dipping hands in warm water might remind the body of being surrounded by amniotic fluid, where we just let go when need be. I do notice most of the time my little boy has a whizz when first lowered into the bath, so I hope he still has the water-whizz-reflex when it's time to train him.

Please post back here if you've tried this and let us know if this works!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BaronessM For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's an idea. I might try it with DD2 as I'm getting no where with her toilet training.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats a cool idea. DS always pees when he hops into the shower.

For encouragement i feel a clap and cheer and big high five make my DS pretty chuffed with his potty using.

Just simply running the tap a little gets the job done too.... "if" he already needs to go

Thanks
    Reviews
    Going to try thing one tomorrow I'll let you know how we go thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im just not sure how it helps the toddler feel/know when they need to go so they learn to say they need to go potty and eventually take themselves off to the toilet.????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babycart View Post
    Im just not sure how it helps the toddler feel/know when they need to go so they learn to say they need to go potty and eventually take themselves off to the toilet.????
    Hi Babycart, I'm not sure either! Maybe it's a reverse-learning process along the lines of 'that's what it feels like to go whizz/have an empty bladder; therefore now I understand more what it feels like to have a full bladder'? Of course communicating it to Mum or Dad is another part of the process, too.

This idea is more about making it fun for the child, so perhaps they are then listening to their body for the opportunity to have potty-play-time...? It's also about having easy success for the child when they are actually on the potty, and maybe we'll know more if the other parents who try this post here with their experiences.

I was just posting this article here for new ideas about TTraining. My DS is only 8.5mo, but he must have some body awareness, as everytime we change him, he spends a mo straining, concentrating and making pee-faces as he seems to want to finish off before nappy change. If this continues to toddler-hood, how do I even get him out of the nappy and onto the potty needing to 'go'?! He also nearly always holds on till morning, (nappy is usually dry in morn, then he wets two in an hour) rarely peeing in his sleep. I used to think this would make training easy, but the above whizz-before-nappy-removed habit may thwart this! We'll find out when we get there.

Good luck with your toilet-training everybody. I do hope this potty-play idea helps with the actual 'going on the potty', even if not with the 'I need to go potty'.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 25-03-2012 at 11:19. Reason: didn't explain myself properly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone tried this idea yet? Cheers all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We tryed but it did t really work for us, one day DS said I need to go toilet and just went like everything clicked into place

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I did it with my DS and I can say that it worked wonders! I think the reason it works is because when we have our hands in water, it instinctively makes you want to pee! I think the idea is not to know when they want to pee to get them on the potty first, it's sitting them on there to play.
    After a minute or two of playing usually whether they felt the need to urinate before or not, they'll do a little.
    That was the moment that the light bulb lit up for my DS. Wee goes in there. Job done. *grin*.