+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Unhappy Dehisced (opened) incision - has anyone else had this?

I bruise very easily and after my surgery the incision site was black and blue. The bruising been gradually turning to yellow and disappearing (i'm now 10 days post-op) but i also have a haematoma (pocket of pooled blood) above the wound that the doctors kept me in hospital an extra day for to check that it wasn't getting infected before they released me.

I was sitting yesterday feeding bub when i felt wet, and looked down to see blood oozing through my dressing, 9 days post-op. Scared the hell out of me! I called hubby at work and he raced me to the local hospital (different one to the surgery) where they thought the bleeding was caused by the pressure in the haematoma forcing some of the blood out through the incision. The haematoma is still there but i think it's smaller. They put steristrips on the wound to brace it, which still lets the blood through, and told me to come back in if it bled a lot more or if i felt unwell ie had an infection.

Lochia also stepped up a bit yesterday, i think because i must have been doing too much. I'm trying to take it easy today and perhaps nap during a few of bub's sleeps.

I feel like i've gone backwards in my healing now. Has anyone else had this? Is there any advice that you were given that you felt helped re-heal it faster?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my wound break open too. I was given steristrips too and they were amazing. I had to change them every day as my wound was weeping so much but they worked! It definitely slowed my recovery down and I've got a scar where the wound reopened but it didn't cause me any other problems.

Just keep an eye on it. Change the steristrips carefully as needed, being careful to pull the wound closed as you retape (that's what my ob told me). I got DH to do it. And I took things very slow, movement wise. I had a lot of walking to do, visiting DS in NICU while I was an outpatient and so we hired a wheelchair. It was my painsaver.

Take things easy for a bit. But it should all be fine in a few weeks.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

champagne  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks MissMuppet!

I've only got the one lot of steristrips that they put on at the hospital and was told to leave them there until they fell off. I guess that's because my incision has only opened a little bit along the middle to let the blood out.

I forgot to ask at the hospital, are you allowed to shower with an open wound? I decided not to today in case the water could introduce infection and instead just used wetwipes to clean myself, avoiding the incision. I've got a doctors appointment for tomorrow and i'll ask then, but wondered if they said anything to you about getting the wound wet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I covered it in gladwrap for showers and tried to avoid wetting it. They said not to worry too much but I was nervous anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    I covered it in gladwrap for showers and tried to avoid wetting it. They said not to worry too much but I was nervous anyway.
    Oh that's a good idea, didn't think of that.