+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How should i deal with this, she is only 8 mths old?

Miss E is 8 months. She pulls my hair, pinches the underside of my arm and scratches me. I tell her 'no' in a firm voice but I really think she is way too young to understand and thinks the tone of my voice is funny.

I tie my hair back, but she manages to grab the wispy regrowth, I cut her nails short but gee she can dig them in!

She is also is very mobile compared to mr 4. Last night she climbed up on the dishwasher door and sat there rattling the internal racks.

This is new to me. Mr 4 was a late mover and understtod 'no' by the time he was moving a lot.

Miss E is a mischief maker

Any tips?`

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Everytime you say 'NO' in a firm voice, it's giving her attention and attention to what she's doing, but not in an effective way by the sounds of things, , so I would pick DD up and gently put her down on the floor or away from you. So everytime she does these sorts of things, just remove her from you or near you so that she realises that if she's hurting you (which she wouldn't comprehend as hurting you), she knows that not being near you at that instance is the consequence.

If my youngest DD who is 16 months hurts me, I just tell her 'that hurts Mummy' with a very sad face and she definitely gets the message, but your Miss E is a baby still, so obviously this isn't going to be effective.

It's so hard when they're babies and don't fully/if at all comprehend their actions.
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 22-03-2012 at 09:24.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

bokkie_wotwot  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh my gosh, my 8mth DD does the same thing! I usually say no as well and she smiles and does this adorable little neck nuzzle and a little noise which makes me melt. I wondered what to do about this also because I'm sick of being her attack-bag!

Thanks Uniquey, wonderful advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS2 is ten months and a mischief maker too. Unlike DS1 who was way more placid. He was pinching and hair pulling a couple if months ago but I'm happy to say has pretty much stopped. Hopefully it's just a stage. Now he is busy opening cupboard doors, trying to play with power points and other nice safe games...

Unfortunately I think that some bubs are just more mischievous than others. He laughs when I growl at him, I find it more effective to pick him up, say NO and remove him from whatever dangerous antic he's currently up to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD still does this at 15 months! I think she does it when she has teething pain, and weirdly she only does it to me. Mainly scratching my chest aggressively then laughing when I cry out in pain!

I put her down on the floor then walk away, then she cries. Then I pick her up a minute later and the cycle repeats!

Hoping it stops now she has 20 teeth. Time for a teething break.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 8 month DD does the EXACT same. LOVES the dishwasher! And has been pinching and pulling hair for a while now....hope it's just a phase!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a very spirited dd too. She's now 2.5 yrs old. But when she was around this age, I did the same as what uniquey did. I'd gently puck up dd, say 'no. That really hurt mummy' and put her in another spot away from me and I'd walk away from her without looking back. Oh the tears but she soon learnt very quickly. If dd hurt someone else, I would again pick her up and put her in another spit away from us and go back to the person to make a real deal about how much he/she was hurt while ignoring dd until I could see she has realized.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was the same at that age, when he started to get rough i would gently take his hand and show him how to touch me softly and say to him "gentle, nice, be gentle". Didnt take long before he got it and even now at 2 years when i say be gentle he strokes my arm and says nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DD (7.5mo) does the hair pulling and tries to grab my eyeballs! I figure it's all part of her exploring me. When it gets painful I just distract her. If she's getting into something she shouldn't (she currently loves trying to reprogram the media centre and sound system by thumping all the buttons and keyboard etc) I say "no" and remove her from it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Glad to know others are going through the same thing as me. The other day I was BFing my dd and she grabbed a fist full of breast & pinched really hard. Ouch! Then I swapped sides, thinking she was playing up cause she was finished. Whilst feeding her on the other side she reached up, grabbed my bottom lip with her whole hand and pulled down, closing her fist as she went, so digging her fingers into my mouth. Oh, it hurt!

I stopped feeding her and moved her away from me ... to sit on my lap, rather than be snuggled in. She was happy, me not so much! I can't remember exactly what I did after that but I think she went on the floor with her toys while I went to see if she drew blood by grabbing my bottom lip (she didn't thankfully!).