+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Possible pre-eclampsia :s

Im 39 weeks and 5 days and was told yesterday that i could have pre-eclampsia. I had blood pressure of 144/89 and it wasnt dropping, usually have blood pressure of around 100/70. Also have severe swelling of my hands and feet and headaches and had protein in my urine. Had a blood test to determine but still waiting on results. Doctor didnt really explain much and im now worried. Has anyone been in the same situation and what happened for them??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had PE when I was 36 weeks. First sign was protein in my pee. They then saw that my BP had risen, but I never had swelling until after bub was born.

The bloods will be checking your liver and possibly your haemoglobin and platelets too. It's fairly standard and will determine what path they take. For me my platelets had dropped quite a bit, so I was induced within hours of the results coming through.

I know it can be scary, but whatever happens just try and focus on that beautiful bundle that will be in your arms soon...whether it be today or a week from now. Keep us posted. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive had most of the symptoms, have even developed a rash over my stomach. The hospital just didnt give me any information about it or what would happen if i did have it. They just sent me for a blood test and when i asked why they said i could have pre-eclampsia. This is my first child and im just really worried that something is going to go wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel for you because i was in the same position.

At 36 weeks on the monday i had huge tummy/back pain so much so i was in tears. It went away after a day. I noticed my feet and face swelling but put it down to pregnancy. Went in for checkup on wednesday, my ob put it all down to pregnancy also until she took my blood pressure.

I had to have urine/blood tests which came back really bad. I had HELLP syndrome which is worse than pre-eclampsia. I had to have 2 steriod shots for bub and was admitted overnight. The next day they said i was going to be induced that afternoon but she must have done a stretch and sweep when she did a check up before induction because all that pain from monday came back 10 fold. I was getting too stressed so they took me for an emerg. csect before bubs got stressed.

Now, i know I may have scared you more but I was horrified at not knowing what the hell could happen. The docs dont really tell you much at all so i jsut wanted to give you my experience. But, just stay calm!! They will monitor monitor monitor and the moment they even think the baby can become distressed they will act and they will act fast!!!!

I dont know how different it will be seeing as though you are nearly full term either.

Oh and even though my bub was 4 weeks early, i had Gestational diabetes and Hellp syndrome, Benny came out perfect, no jaundice and no monitors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was induced for possible PE at 38 weeks. Protein, high bp and swelling are all symptoms of it. Doctors try to get it before it turns into eclampsia as this can be dangerous. However because we have such good monitoring these days it's rare that it turns into eclampsia. For me I didn't end up having it just pregnancy induced bp. It sounds like your dr is being careful and checking everything out to be safe. If you're worried ask for more info, I fired off heaps of questions and was always feeling more reassured.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt realise how serious it was until i got home from the hospital and done my own research. I had no idea about the condition. Ive had a very healthy pregnancy with no complications at all until now. Ive had low blood pressure until yesterday when it flared up pretty bad and wouldnt come back down. I just wished they had of given me more information about what could happen. I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get my results and find out what is going on. But ive had really bad pains the past 2 days and they're getting worse and i know they're not contractions. Most have been in my lower abdomen but also some on the top of one side of my stomach. It feels like a knife stabbing into me, but i just put it down to normal pregnancy since this is my first and i dont really know what to expect :s

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's common to get pain at the top of your bump on the right hand side with pre eclampsia. That's your liver telling you it's not happy. I wasn't going to mention HELLP syndrome, it's what I started to get as well, but the previous poster is probably right in letting you know about it to be prepared. It is rare though, so please do t panic. If they thought you had HELLP they wouldn't have let you go home. Just do your best to relax (I know, pretty much impossible) and go with the flow. If you see black spots or stars in your vision, if you get an intense headache or if the pain in your bump gets worse, straight to the hospital. x

Thanks
    Reviews
    What missposs said

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 11siana11 View Post
    I didnt realise how serious it was until i got home from the hospital and done my own research. I had no idea about the condition. Ive had a very healthy pregnancy with no complications at all until now. Ive had low blood pressure until yesterday when it flared up pretty bad and wouldnt come back down. I just wished they had of given me more information about what could happen. I have an appointment tomorrow morning to get my results and find out what is going on. But ive had really bad pains the past 2 days and they're getting worse and i know they're not contractions. Most have been in my lower abdomen but also some on the top of one side of my stomach. It feels like a knife stabbing into me, but i just put it down to normal pregnancy since this is my first and i dont really know what to expect :s
    PE is serious but it is also very well managed these days and not uncommon. Do your best not to worry but as someone else said headaches or visual disturbances go straight to the hospital. Take care!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive had a headache all day and i took 2 panadol for it but it hasnt really helped. Im thinking i might just call them and talk to one of the midwives. The pain wont go away and neither will the headache.
    Thank you both, uve both told me more than what the hospital have lol