+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    every country has things we wont agree with, I know there are some here that just baffle me and are very backwards but those laws wont pass over there anyone can try to make a law but most dont pass.
    yes, well australia doesn't have quite as many vocally stupid politicans as america

its always more fun to watch a politician stumble through something, that *i* as a foreigner apparently know more about. Like what the vice president of the US actually does...

and yes, I can be alarmed, and shocked by some of the laws they try to pass in America, because Australia seems to want to emulate the American maternity system, i worry about these small, stupid changes that happen. even if they don't get passed, or get altered so they're not *quite* as mysoginistic.

That, and i dislike this total attack on women from all fronts.
    A wise man once said 'First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew..
    Well i may not be American, but i still have a voice.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Ana Gram  (22-03-2012),Benji  (22-03-2012),MissMuppet  (22-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (22-03-2012)

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd like to know these 'backwards' laws

I find that idea very subjective. That would indicate that there is a bar of superiority set, which tends to be Western and usually American. I also find the idea of American superiority incredibly hubristic.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-03-2012),MissMuppet  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    yes, well australia doesn't have quite as many vocally stupid politicans as america

its always more fun to watch a politician stumble through something, that *i* as a foreigner apparently know more about. Like what the vice president of the US actually does...

and yes, I can be alarmed, and shocked by some of the laws they try to pass in America, because Australia seems to want to emulate the American maternity system, i worry about these small, stupid changes that happen. even if they don't get passed, or get altered so they're not *quite* as mysoginistic.

That, and i dislike this total attack on women from all fronts.
    A wise man once said 'First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew..
    Well i may not be American, but i still have a voice.
    i meant the abortion pill laws and such not laws here sorry wasnt clear.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    I'd like to know these 'backwards' laws

I find that idea very subjective. That would indicate that there is a bar of superiority set, which tends to be Western and usually American. I also find the idea of American superiority incredibly hubristic.
    I do agree,

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    We've had issues with abortion laws but nobody, that I know of, has ever suggested women being criminally CHARGED for their own miscarriages or suggesting that women should carry a fetus that has passed away until she goes into labour naturally, which could be deadly for some women. That's bloody scary!! It's nothing short of pure mysoginy!!!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-03-2012),MissMuppet  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovemyfam View Post
    i meant the abortion pill laws and such not laws here sorry wasnt clear.
    yes, well midwives cover all the fields of pregnancy. including conception and abortion - so to me, its still the maternity setting, and i still find it concerning.
    So its not that you weren't clear - its that we're disagreeing on whether its important or not

To me, abortion and homebirth are two sides of the same coin

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Every time I feel a bit 'durrr', I youtube old videos of Sarah Palin to make myself feel better.

But in all seriousness, they represent a portion of the population that they are vying fors votes.

Their whole electoral system is ridiculous and I sympathize with those who want a greater range of choices when it comes to voting in a government.

I enjoy watching the US become less and less relevant to the world, but I continue to enjoy their television shows and movies... the good ones anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    The notion of women being charged for their abortions and being denied BC bc their employer that provides PHI doesn't approve makes me want to gag. I hate the ultra conservatism of the US, maybe that's why I hate Abbott so much?

I can't stand watching the US political speeches and debates and all the postulating that goes on. It always seems so phony and contrived and I feel like I'm sitting in the audience of a Jimmy Swaggert show their pollies remind me of evangelists the way they give speeches....

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (22-03-2012),Gandalf  (22-03-2012),MissMuppet  (23-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    rick santorum......ugghhhh.....

sadly though i see similar attitudes in politics and positions of power here in australia. my family is american and my brother in san francisco hardly ever knows what is happening in politics and america's doings in the 'real world'. for a 'free' country, there is a lot of propaganda there.

Ana Gram is offline 2008 WINNER - straight shooter award
    Winner 2008 & 2009 - Community Minded thread
    Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most passionate member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You are so right halloweendee. The general trend is that they don't tend to know about what else is happening in the world and get fed a diet of bullsh*t and end up thinking they are the best in the world.

The power of the US government is disturbing to say the least.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Gram For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (23-03-2012)