+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Gaps between contractions.

I've heard a few ladies talk about how they had a loooong labour but it wasn't THAT bad because their contractions never came closer than 3 or more minutes apart.

I had a short labour (4 hrs) but in all seriousness, I don't even remember getting as much as a 20 second break between contractions! Is this possible or is my memory really inaccurate?

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be possible, although it would mean that your labour definitely started with a bang if your co.tactions were that close together right from the beginning! Usually they do start further apart & get closer togeher as the labour progresses, but there really are no rules.in labour lol. I had a 6 hour labour, my contractions started at 5 mins apart but were 2 mins apart by the time I got to hospital (as in - the contraction lasted a minu-te, then I had a minute break), and they got closer after that - probably more like a 30sec break in between. But I have heard of people in labour for 2 days but the first 1 1/2 days the contractions were only 15 mins apart . So I think that usually, a quicker labour probably means closer contractions.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    This happened to me. I had a 1hr 20 labour with almost no break between contractions. It was torture. It caused bub to have very long heart decelerations due to the stress. I have records of the whole thing since it started when i was already in hospital (and no I wasn't induced). You should be able to get your hospital records to see if it happened to you (if you had monitoring).
    No monitoring unfortunately. I swear they secretly induced me aye It was exhausting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Every labour is different, so I'm sure your memory isn't too bad!

My labour was 32hrs (roughly) from the first noticeable contraction until birth. The first 14 hours they were about 5-7 min apart and fairly easy to manage. Then I had strong contractions 2-3 mins apart for another 12 hours! But I took foreeeeever to dilate. After all that effort I was only 3cm. So I got an epidural and that got things on track. About 6 hours later DD was born with forceps. She's a stubborn creature!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post

My labour was 32hrs (roughly) from the first noticeable contraction until birth. The first 14 hours they were about 5-7 min apart and fairly easy to manage. Then I had strong contractions 2-3 mins apart for another 12 hours! But I took foreeeeever to dilate. After all that effort I was only 3cm. So I got an epidural and that got things on track. About 6 hours later DD was born with forceps. She's a stubborn creature!
    Holy dooly, I always said that if my labour was any longer I wouldn't have managed without drugs. But by the time I got to hospy I was 8cm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post

Your labour sounds a bit like mine

52 hrs :0 the first 38hrs of contractions were anywhere from 5-15mins apart lasting from 30-90 secs.
    After labouring at inlaws (live out of town) for 28 hrs with contractions that would be full on for and he or two, then NOTHING for 2 hrs :-/
    finally give in went to hospital, took 10 hrs to get a bed (laboured in fathers room :-/) I was only 4 cm.
    Epidural, then monitoring showed hopeless contractions, dr came in after 2 hrs pushing, gave me 2 pushes with ventouse to get her out or it was off to the theatre.
    So two pushes and DD was born.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe your contractions were very close (or near continuous) at the end, in the last hour or so, and further apart in the beginning but you only remember the worst part?

I know I remember the last few hours a hell of a lot better than the first part.

My first labour was 36 hours from 8 min apart contractions. The first 15 hours were the kind of contractions where you cant concentrate on a conversation and breathe to yourself, the next 15 hours where rocking around and scrunching sheets in my fists, feet stamping, swaying, breathing, eyes lose focus kind of pain, and the last 6 was moaning, eyes rolling, delirious focus kind of pain (all drug free). My cervix was not coming to the party, despite baby fully engaged and all those contractions and I was still ZERO cms after 30 hours. They inserted gel and that got me dilating.

I would say that the last 20 or so hours were "that bad"

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't get a break between mine.

They were never regular too. Anything from 2minutes long with a 30 sec break to 30 sec long with a 1 minute break!

I had an epi though (and I am thankful in the end as I needed forceps)

Thanks
    Reviews
    gaps? what gaps? u guys were getting gaps!
    seriously though. i get 3 contracts. then bam. lasting 90 /120 sec breaking for maybe 15sec and 9 cm dilated. the hospy always think im about to pop a baby any second without even getting to birthing suite. sadly though my babies are stuck and i am trapped in that miserable final zone for the whole time. ugh. mine are posterior too so prob why they are stuck.
    baby #1 26 hours of hell
    baby #2 12 hours of hell
    baby #3 4 hours of hell
    baby#4 elective cs

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've heard of women labouring for days. How do you know if it's true labour if contractions don't get any closer/stronger ? Is there an increased chance the baby could get distressed & after what point should you call the hospital ? sorry if these seem like silly questions but really curious to know. Thanks