+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    so the docs want to induce you so they can start you on a new treatment that you shouldnt have while pregnant? is this right?

if so, what will the effects be for you if you delay starting this treatment? as in until you have bub without being induced. is your current treatment helping you? will you be ok (mentally) going along that same as you currently are?

even if you arnt induced, will bub still need probable admission to NICU? what wil change for bub if you arnt induced?

you dont have to snswer any of these questions, just my random wonderings.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I too think you have answered your own question. I hope what you want is respected.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (22-03-2012),MsMummy  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, your intelligence sounds like it's working quite well to me, can't fault your logic. Hope you're feeling OK.

The fact you are asking the question and are seeking BH collective wisdom means you're not sure about the current plan.

What about getting a second opinion from another psych or obs? Don't be afraid to call another doctor in for a consult.

Have your doctors explained what exactly they are trying to prevent because those reasons might give you a bit more faith in their advice and expertise?

Is breastfeeding important to you? What does the new medication mean for breastfeeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    so the docs want to induce you so they can start you on a new treatment that you shouldnt have while pregnant? is this right?

As well as to be able to increase the current meds I am on, yes.

if so, what will the effects be for you if you delay starting this treatment? as in until you have bub without being induced. is your current treatment helping you? will you be ok (mentally) going along that same as you currently are?
    Don't know. While I feel the current treatment has prevented further episodes, I don't think my current treatment is progressing me. I think I'll be okay mentally as I currently am. I'm actually seeking discharge at present because I'm not getting 'therapy' as such, just drugs. I want to stay at home and get things ready for the new baby. I'm also under pressure from the nursing staff to get an induction too and I'm a bit over their unwelcome input to be honest!

even if you arnt induced, will bub still need probable admission to NICU? what wil change for bub if you arnt induced?
    Don't know. Psych tells me it's highly likely bub will be a NICU baby anyway, Obstetrician tells me placenta may fail or bubs may be affected by gestational diabetes as well as other horror outcomes which is why he thinks I should be induced (yet bloods are checked everyday and I'm sitting on 4.5 which is fine) and my Shared Care GP refutes them both. For me, I think an induction f*cks around with nature on an extreme level and creates more unnecessary risk than advantages. I agree that in dire cases it's necessary but I don't think that I'm a dire case.

The fact you are asking the question and are seeking BH collective wisdom means you're not sure about the current plan.
    Well I wasn't sure about the current plan from the get go but it's really been bothering me. I just found the reasoning from them (drs) too flimsy and this rang alarm bells. I figure there are heaps of women in here who have either undergone an induction or have faced this same dilemma hence the querying.

What about getting a second opinion from another psych or obs? Don't be afraid to call another doctor in for a consult.
    Yes, I thought that too. I'm going to see another doctor for a second opinion next week.

Have your doctors explained what exactly they are trying to prevent because those reasons might give you a bit more faith in their advice and expertise?
    See above. Unfortunately, my faith is waning. I just don't think they know, TBH.

Is breastfeeding important to you? What does the new medication mean for breastfeeding?
    Yes, it is. Drs tell me that medication will get through in 'small amounts so as to cause mild sedation' whereas literature says breastfeeding will be problematic and is not recommended *shrugs*

My DH and I dsicussed this issue further tonight and he wants me to cancel the booking which I will do tomorrow. We find it amazing that I'm under immense pressure to bring this baby on before its due date and I admit it's a little daunting when you're on your own with your gut reaction versus "those well versed in medical knowledge".

Thank you all for your feedback. It's helped a great deal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi hun.

I'm a student midwife and also suffering from mental illness etc so if you ever wanted to chat to anyone personally about your worries free to PM. I know this is out of the blue etc.

I do think that not being induced will be a better outcome for you, and if bub will have to go to the NICU if you're induced then he/she might have to without being induced as well. Usually it's because bubs of mothers taking medication for mental illness sometimes withdraw from the medication they were getting via the placenta, from you.

you need to make sure you don't get bullied into doing something you don't want to do, because that will be more damaging to your mental health. Make sure you look after yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In terms of breastfeeding and Mum taking medications, LactMed is a good website to check out peer-reviewed literature http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT

Also, most maternity hospitals have a drug info service. In Victoria, Rod Whyte of Monash is an excellent source of knowledge on effects of drugs and breastfeeding.