+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Induction due to mental illness

Hi. As I've written about, I'm presently being treated for mental illness at a facility and am on a drug regimen that is heavy going but seems to be working for me.

I have had, so far, an uneventful pregnancy. Bubs is engaged, healthy and I'm nearing the end of my term.

However, my psych and obs want me to be brought on early (39/40wks) so that they can put me on anti-depressants and tweak my current drug regimen.

I am really not sure about this.

I understand why inductions are sometimes necessary but at this juncture is it necessary for me? I mean, my body is working fine...it's just my brain has melted a bit.

So I saw my Obs and to my surprise he just went ahead and made an appointment for the following week (gel) and I was like...hang on...I'm not sure about this. He assured me it was the right thing to do but didn't really give me a concrete reason as to why other than "the placenta could weaken/stop working".

So on the night I'm due to be induced I'll be transferred to the hospital, will be given the squirt and will remain in hospital until the baby arrives whereupon I'll be in the same hospital for another five days on account of my status with my baby "possibly in NICU for a day or two" to monitor breathing etc due to the drugs I've been presently taking.

I'm like...WTF? No one said ANYTHING about NICU when I explicitly asked about the impact of these drugs on my pregnancy. I was told they were safe and that bubs would be a little irritable in the first few days of life but that's it. Now I'm being told I will remain in hospital, possibly separated from my newborn for nearly a week while all this plays out and it's really got me worried.

Then I did a search here before I wrote this post and read some horror stories in the threads that I found so now I'm thinking, god, should I go through with this? My DH is also not sure and wants the best outcome for us both. Part of me says I should say no but part of me says well surely they have your best interests at heart and then another part of me says well what would I know...I've just spent the past few weeks trying to work out what my brain's been up to.

All comments welcome. I have five days to make a decision.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I would be wary. I've been induced twice for medical reasons (kidney disease, PE) and I very narrowly escaped a c-section with my first.

I'm settling a bub, so will just throw out my thoughts.
    *You don't have to consent to anything.
    *Google "cascade of intervention" and then quiz your care provider it.
    *Get your psych and ob to tell you exactly what side effects bub could experience due to your meds.
    *Re the placenta breaking down? That's a crappy reason - tell him you'll consent to ultrasounds to check the condition of the placenta from 41 weeks.
    *if you feel you are psychologically stable to continue, then keep questioning them.
    Last edited by misskittyfantastico; 21-03-2012 at 22:25.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (22-03-2012),Caviar  (21-03-2012),MamaC  (21-03-2012),MsMummy  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad to hear that things are better for you.
    i was induced and had a great experience but I was 10 days over so my body was ready.
    at the end of the day I think you have to do what feels right for you and hubby. As you say, your body is fine and bub is healthy. They can't force you and you have every right to wait. If it is simply so they can adjust your meds and you feel okay continuing on as is then you should wait. You know your body and your mind better than the drs.
    but there is also nothing wrong with inducing if you agree that it would be more beneficial to adjust the meds now.
    If it comes down to body vs mind, maybe just follow your heart?

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do u have 2 threads?

Also when your talking to your care providers to go through this BRAIN acronym.

B ~ What are the potential BENEFITS of the action?

R ~ What are the RISKS?

A ~ What are some ALTERNATIVES to this action?

I ~ What does my INTUITION suggest?

N ~ What happens if I decide to do NOTHING?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

chicken and eggs mum  (22-03-2012),MamaC  (21-03-2012),MonsterMummy  (23-03-2012),twotrunks  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Do u have 2 threads?

R ~ What are the RISKS?

This is fantastic advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A medically managed birth can lead to less of the feel good hormones that help you recover from your birth and bond with your baby.

i would want better reasons than you have been given so far before agreeing to induction.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (23-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you still have a choice? Sorry if this is too personal, but are you a voluntary or involuntary patient? I believe the advice the others have given you is good, it is always good to get as many opinions as you can, but do you currently have the legal capacity to make your own decisions? Induction at the stage they are suggesting is still full term, so from that point of view it medically does not seem an issue, however it is the emotional side that would be of more concern, such as are you ready to meet the bub and move on with treatment, as it is all being organized by someone else? I really hope that it all goes well for you, I don't personally believe the induction itself is such a big deal, many women have them and it saves the uncomfortable 40+ elephant feeling so yay there! Baby is cooked and good to go, and by the sounds of it you are ready to move on in your treatment as well. Google will always give you the worst case scenario, ya ever hear the phrase when you hear hoof beats, think of a horse not a zebra? It's a medical thing, basically, don't always expect the worst (or a zebra) cause it is usually fine (and a horse!) yes, bad things happen, babies are compromised, bonding experiences are lost, but we all have these risks caviar, you need to be well for yourself and your family. Good luck. You will make the decision that is right for you, stuff em all! x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have much advice but don't let the "horror stories" scare you. Im sure most women who have induced births have perfectly fine experiences with it.

I planned a very natural birth and ended up having lots of intervention (syntocin and epidural and vacuum delivery). Apart from the brief disappointment and shock that things went nothing to plan, my baby was delivered safe and well and I was fine too and recovered quickly. I actually enjoyed the epidural in the end and will have another one next time. It doesn't affect how you bond with your baby. And c-sections are fine too.

But you have every right to ask your doctor more questions. Just be wary of anonymous people on forums with no medical training giving you advice. Especially when you have a delicate mental health situation at the moment. I'm inclined to believe doctors in these situations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Originally Posted by Thermolicious

Do u have 2 threads?
    Sorry, yes I do. I saw this forum first and then spotted the specific one for labour.

None that I can see at present.

R ~ What are the [unnecessary] RISKS?
    Uncontrolled contraction sequences, more painful labour, hyperstimulation by drugs causing foetal and maternal distress, drugs causing labour cessation, foetal monitoring, exposure of dangerous drugs to baby, too much artificial pain relief, inability to move freely, increase of problems in labour (eg. heart rate, dystocia...), higher likelihood of admission to NICU, likelihood of use of forceps or c-section, baby having trouble maintaining breath, temperature, feeding.

Wait. Allow pregnancy to go to 42 weeks.

To wait.

No cascade of intervention.
    No C-section (sorry, but c-sections are never 'fine').
    Baby is safe from the dangerous drugs.
    I could be made an involuntary patient.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think u answered your own question, I hope your heard

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (23-03-2012),misskittyfantastico  (22-03-2012)