+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just thought I would warn you that phenergan can have the opposite effect on some kids.

I gave it to my girls for car sickness once and had 3 very hyper girls in the back of our car which wasn't fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's rare for phernergan to have a hyper effect but just be prepared for it to happen !
    I have just started giving it to my 6 yr old as she wakes too much during the night and misses out on a lot of sleep!
    Last night was the first night and it worked wonders
    She literally was out after about 10 mins of having the dose and slept all night never once leaving her bed which she normally does all night long!!
    I honestly feel so fresh and rested today had a fantastic sleep as my bub didn't wake till 3am for a feed and I was in bed at 9pm!!
    Good luck which ever way you go

Thanks
    Reviews
    I won't apologise for offending anyone as this probably will... But I have been following this thread waiting for someone to state the obvious here. Giving phenergan to children and/or babies is effectively drugging them to go to sleep. As a mother I understand completely the feeling of sleep deprivation. I don't think any health professional would advise this and it really concerns me that people are advising the op to do this!? Op please seek help from a professional perhaps starting with your GP for your child and also for yourself for some support and advice. Phenergan is NOT the answer to your sleep problems.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jacobsmamma For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (28-03-2012),AppleIsleSMum  (25-03-2012),chameleon  (25-03-2012),emzluvbub  (27-03-2012),Etienne  (27-03-2012),Gruffalo  (27-03-2012),lovemybabies!  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    I won't apologise for offending anyone as this probably will... But I have been following this thread waiting for someone to state the obvious here. Giving phenergan to children and/or babies is effectively drugging them to go to sleep. As a mother I understand completely the feeling of sleep deprivation. I don't think any health professional would advise this and it really concerns me that people are advising the op to do this!? Op please seek help from a professional perhaps starting with your GP for your child and also for yourself for some support and advice. Phenergan is NOT the answer to your sleep problems.
    I agree jacobsmamma. I'm surprised no one else has said anything yet.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chameleon For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Couldn't agree more. its so hard when your getting no sleep but drugging a baby to sleep is not the answer and its not good for the child at all. maybe ask a family member or a friend to come found for an afternoon to look after your baby while you catch up on some sleep

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    To the OP.

You will truly know if you are at your wits end with your child's sleeping.
    you'll get judgement from people like the above posters, but these people don't know you or your child, you need to do what you are most comfortable with.

i was at my wits end after about 18 months of no sleep. My child no only didnt settle (mu hubby works arvo so every night time I battled alone). There was hysterics, vomitting, poo, tears that would escalate and escalate, none of this winding down that they are supposed to do.

I saw my GP, and together we made a plan for using the phenergan. It worked wonderfully.
    Although my child still woke, it made resettling easier, rather than constantly wanting to breastfeed all night long. It took a few months (no, i didn't use the phenergan that entire time), but eventually it seemed to help overcome the waking and screaming.

We did co-sleep etc but that became more of a problem than a solution. tried gentle methods mentioned, no I didnt have other options to come and stay, i was also working. Crying it out/controlled crying not in my nature so that didn't work, apart from fact my child would never have given in and crashed eventually.

I guess what I am trying to say is, i used phenergan under medical advice, my Gp knew me and my child. I think if you have persisted with otehr options, and use phenergan sparingly and as directed, hopefully it helps you out.

Ignore the judgers....... everyone has an opinion. It doesn't tend to ever bother me as I am not seeking approval from other parents, just do what you are comfortable with.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Square777 For This Useful Post:

babyla  (25-03-2012),KillerHeels  (25-03-2012),MissPoss  (25-03-2012),Suzi446  (25-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    i wasn't judging at all i know how bad sleep deprivation is and its so hard. I was agreeing that i don't think its safe to use a medication without doctors say so. Op i really hope they can offer you some help and support x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KillerHeels For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, my daughter did this for at least 8mths when she was 3yrs old. Screaming, wailing, hitting all bloody night long. It got to the point (I'm going to be very honest here), I wanted to punch her in the face (I didn't). I was so frightened by how I felt, the very next day I saw my GP. We tried phenergan (didn't work) and got DD seen by a child psychologist. It turned out she was terrified of her room, all the shadows. She just didn't know how to tell us (we had asked). It wasn't the shrink who solved the mystery, but an Aunt who took her for a few nights to give us a break. We moved her in with her baby brother downstairs and we all got sleep again. Her daytime behaviour improved too, we used to have full blown tantrums that lasted hrs. We had also tried putting her in our room, but that didn't work as our rooms/ceilings were the same, so she was still scared.
    I really hope you figure out the problem, it's a truly horrific situation that affects everyone in the household.

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh I totally feel your pain - it seemed like the screaming and tantrums (from both my son 22months and I) became all part of the bedtime routine.

I rang and spoke to Tresillian (not sure if they are available in QLD - I'm in NSW) about his bedtime issues and they have been really really helpful.

One thing that I did do with my son - is get pictures off the net to represent the parts of the 'nighttime routine'. As in 'dinner' 'bathtime' 'put dirty washing in the basket' 'stories' 'tuck ted's into bed' 'brush teeth' 'bedtime'. This is stuck on the wall for him to see and when he's not wanting to 'play the game' I refer back to this chart and he's responded really well with it.

I know some people are against or not wanting to do charts or be parent lead - it's just I couldn't handle the screaming - the fighting - the tension - the anxiety all when we are both so tired anyway. I don't use it as a reward chart but just something to help follow and keep us both on track so then he knows what's coming up.

We give him story time and then - when he gets into bed and we let him walk to bed (sometimes he resists but he will come looking for us if we just continue to the bedroom and say Ted's are waiting for their story) - we let him have story time with his ted's. Some times he goes to sleep in 15 minutes - other times it's taken an hour and a half but I tell him - it's okay for him to read if he's not tired but I will be back to check on him. Thankfully he's never got out of bed but I'm waiting for that to happen.

Sure he still has a cry every now and then - I sit on the floor next to him and start him off on his books and tell him in a quiet voice that it's time for Ted's to have their story.

Also - I strongly encourage no tv while the night time routine is happening if at all possible. Guaranteed to have a disasterous start to the night if it's on in this household.

IF you think there is something more to it - rather than just not wanting to go to bed - definitely see a doctor about it - it's the age of pushing the boundaries. Personally, I would discount all other things before giving my child medication ie diet, environment (tv off), having a bit of a routine so they know the end of the day is coming, also your own expectation of them (meaning - no whining noise - use your words), even down to how much sleep (if any) they get through the day - might have to cut that back. Certainly though if your dr has recommended something - that's why you go to them.

Massive big hugs - if you didn't give a damn you wouldn't be on here asking for suggestions. Tomorrow is a new day - hope I've given you something that helps - new focus.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually gp's do recommend this! I have been using the phernergan under the directions from the gp!! No way would I just give my child a drug without advice from a health professional!! The gp and I have a plan for use, it's all about breaking the cycle of the child waking and this what the phernergan can achieve !!!
    Of course you and others have judged that I was using it without doctors directions t