+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I've done similarly - ignoring (the boy walking around saying "For fu#ken' sakes!!" at any given opportunity) while he's doing it and then having a chat about why we don't speak like that in our family etc...It was effective for a good while and then the behaviour started again when he started kindy and I took BUzz away. Success! H is very Toy Story motivated though.

I think it's going to be an ongoing thing as the years progress and I'm totally stealing Roopees coffee money idea!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Roopee  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VintageLover View Post
    Not good enough, five is old enough to learn the hard way..

Take away something he loves. Let him know that it will continue each time he uses adult swear words. Stick to it.

It's not on at all!
    Have to laugh at using 'adult swear words!' phrase - not sure if you are suggesting it's ok for adults to use swear words or that the five year should be using age-appropriate swear words like poohead, bum bum etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Have to laugh at using 'adult swear words!' phrase - not sure if you are suggesting it's ok for adults to use swear words or that the five year should be using age-appropriate swear words like poohead, bum bum etc...
    Geeze.. Not trying to coin a phrase here.. Think it's pretty obvious what I meant. Sorry op I'm in bed pretty sleepy.. Funny how you get picked on for the stupidest things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 yo was swearing till we brought out the soap now he tells me if anyone swears "he said that word put soap in his mouth" even strangers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Ive pretty much done today what you suggested acrea... He jumped from bed to bed singing it at the top of his lungs.... Felt so feral letting him do that but I just had to ignore it, he ramped it up whenever dp or I asked him to quit it.

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub
    That's when you walk in, ever so calmly, don't even look at him, remove the mattresses from the room, close the door and then sing at the top of your voice to drown him out so you don't get overly frustrated by his demand for attnetion.
    He knows it is getting to you. If that isn't enough on its own then once he has stopped then get the currency from him. The longer he goes the bigger the currency. He'll most likely have a huge wobbly over it but he'll eventually learn that it's just not worth it. You could also talk to his teacher and ask that they deal out some pretty good punishment if they hear him (you can even talk about what you would like to happen) or send him off to a friends house for a play and if he uses it there get the mum to get him sent straight home (this would work really well if any other mums close to you are having a similar issue...would let their child see that it really isn't okay to swear).

I haven't actually had this issue yet so none of this might be effective but hopefully it gives you some ideas!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine are 5 and almost 4 ad I have told them they are big peoples words and should be said by little people.

They accept that and not say that word again. They may come out with another word but after the adult word talk they don't say it again.

somewhere between a rock and a hard place
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My nephew who did the same thing, was video taped swearing and then everytime he swore, he was threatened with ' do you want me to show the video of you swearing to mrs jones (his teacher)?'

This could work with whoever he is most afraid/ embarrassed of seeing his bad behaviour.

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In our house I say "Our family speaks politely. That is not a polite word. You can say "Gabriel, you are really irritating me" or "Julian, you need to ask before coming into our room." But you must not swear."

And the next time I say "Our family speaks politely. There are millions of words in the English language, you're a problem solver, find another word to express yourself"

(And then I ban screens..... TV's, computers, console games, mobile phones, mp4's..gone)

They don't do it so much these days though.
    Last edited by OJandMe; 21-03-2012 at 21:42.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maybe again View Post
    Mine are 5 and almost 4 ad I have told them they are big peoples words and should be said by little people.

They accept that and not say that word again. They may come out with another word but after the adult word talk they don't say it again.
    *n't...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    Poo-poo bum head was all the rage when dd was in Prep.

OP: Hang him upside down and shake the swear words out of him! Flog him with a belt if you have to!

Or you could pretend you don't hear anything he says until he starts using respectful language.