+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default How do you deal with a swearing child? HELP?!

DS2 seems to have been 'taught' some choice 4 letter words in his first year of school

DS1 & DD have said them..know it's not acceptable (I've told them unless they know what it means, and they can use it in context/a sentence - then it's not to be said thankyou very much)

But DS2 is taking much delight in giving them a good work out.

I'm sick of hearing Fu(k and Sh!t come out of my 5 year old's mouth

(he is my *ahem* 'spirited' / 'challenge' child...)

ADVICE would be great thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went the 'soap' route with mine when they chose to use those words, knowing full well what they were doing.

With DD1, the tiniest bit of dishwashing liquid on my finger did it. Twice and she stopped.

DD2 was harder and turns out using mayo for her works better. The old deterrent method and now they know 'grown up words for grown ups' type thing but with DD2 - who is my spirited child lol - it took a few rounds of mayo. Weirdo loved the dishwashing liquid.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wash his mouth out with soap, put some chilli powder on his tongue, smack him.....

How about just refusing to speak to him why he is talking like that and get everyone in the house on board with it. Tell him you don't like to hear those words and don't want to speak to someone who uses that kind of language. Then when he goes to tell you something or ask you for something just pretend like you can't hear him for a bit and then turn around and ask him if he is going to speak nicely or if he is going to continue with his choice words.

Then I'd get him on his own at the first chance I could and have a one on one with him about why the language isn't appropriate. It might take more than once to get through to him...let him know he'll get in trouble if he speaks like that outside of the house...at school or a friends house etc.

If that doesn't work then take away a privilege every time he swears or get a swear jar if he gets pocket money!
    Last edited by Areca; 21-03-2012 at 20:09.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 20 month old has dropped the f bomb about half a dozen times over the past week after dh "let it slip" when his drink wad spilt. Now dd thinks it's what's said if anything get spilt. Like op and pp's I am sooooo mortified! My mum would not let me say fart growing up as she thought it was rude!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My boys have recently taken to calling each other some pretty awesome words- SO, I hit them where it hurts. They pay me 50c every time they swear and then I take that money and buy my coffee at Uni with it. I make sure I tell them how awesome my coffee was and thank them for it- over the top stuff.
    They dont do it anymore- they absolutely detested buying my coffee.

Would something like that work for you?

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roopee For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (21-03-2012),Mod-Myztik  (21-03-2012),OJandMe  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roopee View Post
    My boys have recently taken to calling each other some pretty awesome words- SO, I hit them where it hurts.
    I read that and was like 'OMG she gives out some tough loving these days!' lmao

I would say do something like what you actually did when my kids were older...and I would enjoy the lunch money too so either way it would be a win for me! hahaha

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (21-03-2012),Roopee  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ive pretty much done today what you suggested acrea... He jumped from bed to bed singing it at the top of his lungs.... Felt so feral letting him do that but I just had to ignore it, he ramped it up whenever dp or I asked him to quit it.

We are still working in actually earning pocket money... So his 'currency' will have to be toys or craft stuff I suppose.

Yeh, I won't be washing his mouth out...

Sent from my LT15i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not good enough, five is old enough to learn the hard way..

Take away something he loves. Let him know that it will continue each time he uses adult swear words. Stick to it.

It's not on at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    I read that and was like 'OMG she gives out some tough loving these days!' lmao

I would say do something like what you actually did when my kids were older...and I would enjoy the lunch money too so either way it would be a win for me! hahaha
    hahah yeah! They've been p!ssing me off lately so thought I'd take to beating them .

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, I have just gone through this EXACT thing with DS! I can tell you what doesn't work: losing my shiz every time he swears, he sees the big reaction and gets worse, if that is even possible. What has worked is saying to him that I will not be listening to him when he talks like that, and I basically ignore him. The thing is, he knows very well that it's unacceptable and never says the words outside the home, so he was purely doing it because it got him attention. Actually, he did drop the F-bomb at kinder but was reprimanded and didn't like getting in trouble so there have been no further incidences there, he well and truly got the message that swearing is not acceptable.

It is REALLY hard to do the ignoring thing, particularly when they're so scarily good at using the words in context, but I have persisted with ignoring and finally it's paying off, he really has stopped using the words for the most part. He'll occasionally *almost* slip up, but even then he stops himself and says a 'substitute' word, like he'll say "oh shizzzzz" or something like that, and even say "sorry, Mum" for almost saying it. It's like it was a novelty for a while and now that novelty has FINALLY worn off (thank god, don't know how much more of that my nerves could handle, we're really not swearers here).