+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 4 and a half month old night sleep????

Hi looking for some advice or maybe just to know that I'm not the only in up at all hours of the night!

My 4 and a half month old bf son on a GOOD night feeds every 3 hours ( bed at 6/7 pm, feeds 10ish, 1ish, 4ish then start the day at 6-7am) I hear of babies having 1 longer stint at night, but not here!! He feeds both sides and drinks like crazy.

He generally just feeds and straight back into cot and self settles. But for the last month for two nights a week each week he will stay awake after either the 1ish or 4ish feed and just be wide awake! I leave him in cot but he will mumble and grumble for 10 mins b4 crying, I'll go in and he will be smiling and kicking around, this continues for up to 2 1/2 hours!

What is going on?? This will happen for two nights then back to "normal" for the rest of the week ( normal isn't really that flash anyway!). Where is this 5 hour stint I read about? I can't even do a dreamfeed cos he always wakes up anyway!

Help, first time mummy going slowly crazy!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

They talk about 4 month sleep regression - maybe that's it? Are you feeding him in the dark with minimal noise/light etc?

I know that around 3.5 months DD's sleep went to crap - we were getting a 4 hour stint and then it slowly decreased to 3 hours, then 2 hours and then one two hour stint and then up hourly needing to be resettled!!

She's five months now, and she's only just getting better, and by better it's 2x 3hour stints, then 2 hourly. I'm re-reading Elizabeth Pantley's 'No cry sleep solution' at the moment. I was looking to implement some strategies from there when she was only 3 months but I didn't keep to it. Now I'm determined to go through it and see if there are some tips on helping her to sleep.

I wish I had a solution for you. Just and know that you are not alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the tips, I might look up 4 month sleep regression. Yep I feed in his room which has no windows so completely dark and quiet, I don't change his nappy either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a 4 month old and she is bf every 4 hours during the day, but at night time she usually goes longer. She often has her feed around 7pm and goes straight down, then I dream feed her at 10 and she stays down til 3am. Of course some nights she mucks around and is feed more often and some times thinks 3am is play time. I have recently tried leaving her down from 8pm feed and she slept through to 5am. I think you just have to go with what your little one needs atm and as they get older they'll settle into a better routine... Fingers crossed!

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    sounds like 70% of the babies in my birth group & they are all 6 months.

its normal - it just comes downt to wether u can handle it or not & most people cant so they try to change it.

try no cry sleep solution (book

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

What is your daytime feeding routine like? I got my DS to sleep longer by cluster feeding before bedtime. I did a BF at 5pm, then bath then another fed before bed at 7pm. At 3 months I switched to a bottle feed before bed as I felt very tired and drained by the end of the day and didn't feel like I was able to provide the best quality milk. I started with expressed breast milk from earlier that day, and then once he was ok with taking the bottle switched to formula. If you don't want to do formula you could try and get a sleep in the afternoon to improve the quality of your milk. At 4 months DS was sleeping a 5-7 hour stretch and then feeding every 3-4 hours after that.

At 5.5 months he started waking up more again, so I started to give him solids and increased this until he was back to 1 feed per night.

His long sleep is really dictated by how much he eats during the day/before bed.

Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    You can have a 'you are not alone' post from me! My bubs used to sleep from about 10pm-3am and then wake at about 6:30/7am. Perfect! But then at 3.5 months it all went down down down. For over a month now I have been waking every one-two hours to either rock/feed him back to sleep. My tip would be set your alarm to just before you think he might wake and give him a rock or a sleepy feed so he isn't wide awake.

I get so frustrated when I hear about other babies sleeping!! I was a mess when it first started happening. I had a major breakdown. But I have decided I can't let him cry it out (I tried and it is not for me or this baby!) so I will wait...he won't be doing it forever right?

Good luck! Hope you and I get some sleep soon