+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used to have an commercial organic garden, loved it all those chemicals that go into growing things is crazy. When buying organic always ask for a certified organic certificate as its not truly organic without one. A side note we also had a stonefruit orchard and cannot see how you could do that organically at all. nothing would make it to the picking stage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    plus please check what you are buying is grown in Australia ( next time you go to Coles/woolies check where their garlic is from, just as an example!)[/QUOTE]

I agree we also grew a lot of organic garlic and it was really hard to sell to shops as they wanted that bleached white stuff from Asia. I will never buy anything grown overseas as Australia has such stricked spray policies and you never know what kind of chemicals are put into stuff not grown here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Everything Elijahs Mum has said is true. The thicker he skin the less the exposure to pesticides.

Organic products are also free of harmful additives. Many foods in Australia contain additives linked to a variety of health concerns such as asthma, excema, hyperactivity in children and many others.

Organic meat is free of antibiotics and added hormones, they are also treated better and have better quality food. Meat from cows fed on fresh pasture, for example, also has a higher Vitamin D-3 content.

I'd go one further and go organic and whole grain. Organic plain flour, for example, is made from wheat free of pesticides and chemical residues but the refining process still removes a majority of the nutritional content. Simple carbohydrates like white bread, flour, pasta and rice are absorbed by the body just like sugar. Wholemeal or brown varieties provide a far more nutrients.

Here is some more information on why organic - http://www.grinningplanet.com/2005/1...od-article.htm

Hope this makes sense, I've just woken up after a very long night.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeh I do agree with the grains comment - i have a mate who is a broad acre crop farmer on the murray - he won't eat his own wheat, soy, canola or oats. None of them are GM, but he uses alot of chemicals.

He buys organic - ironic hah!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies. I'll look into it further.