+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Progesterone versus pregnancy side effects

So, its been a looong time since I posted on bubhub.

Quick summary is that I am 4dp3dt after a wonderful friend donated her eggs.

I have been on progynova 2 tablets three times daily for weeks, and last wednesday (7 days) I started progesterone 400mg pessaries three times daily.

I didn't really notice anything until 2 days ago, and since then have noticed increased lower pelvic cramping, lower abdominal bloating and fullness, and swollen bb's.

And of course ALL of these things can be side effects of either progesterone pessaries or real pregnancy.

The last FET I had was over a year ago (with my own eggs), and was unsuccessful. I don't remember having these side effects then. The previous transfer to that was fresh, and I had HEAPS of pregnancy signs (was BFN), but was on progesterone and HCG, so put it down to that. I had a MC at 8.5 weeks, and I honestly dont remember having any signs at all, despite progesterone support. My DS pregnancy was so long ago that I cant remember a lot, but I do remember thinking I was pregnant about 8-9 days after my fresh ET, and was.

Clearly its too early to POAS, so I am obsessing instead.

Those of you who use progesterone....how many of you had pregnancy signs on it, but had a BFN???

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Meshell, thats kind of what I was afraid of. Its really messing with my sanity as this is our final try, and DH wont agree to another donor cycle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi drbeee - not sure, but I think you may have posted on the IVF Over 40 thread last year...hi

Looks like I am on the exact same protocol as you and I am also using a donor egg. I am currently on 2dp3dt (or is it 3dp3dt - had my ET Monday morning?). I have been on 3 x 2mg Progynova daily and 2 x 5 mg Prednisolone daily since cycle commenced. Then from Day 12 - 16, I was on 1 x 10mg Estrogen pessary per day and then from Day 17 to BT (may change after my mid-luteal BT on Friday) I am on 2 x 400mg progesterone pessary per day and 1 x combination 500mg progesterone/2mg estrogen pessary per day.

I am also experiencing lots of lower pelvic and lower abdominal aches, pains, twinges, bloating, fullness and sore bb's, but I have to say that I started to feel most of this prior to ET. I also felt exactly like this for my FET last year which was a BFN.

I think it is much too early to be thinking pregnancy symptoms. Good luck...I have everything crossed for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Meshell, and goodluck with your IUI.

Sunny 15, you have a good memory! yes I was, but havent been around for ages, ocne the decision wa smade to use a donor I took some time off the TTC bandwagon for various reasons....

Cool that we are almost at the same stage of our TWW, and our protocols are very similar too!. I think you are 2dp3dt if your ET was monday?

I think you are right about this being all down to the meds. I just cant rememebr this happening previously except for the cycle where Ihad HCG as well. perhaps its my old old brain!

Good luck to us all!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Pregnancy symptoms are caused by progesterone, so being on progesterone will cause symptoms of pregnancy.

The only differences I had between my BFNs and my BFP were
    (a) a twinge made me say "ouch" out loud once.
    (b) one Montgomery gland (looked like a small red pimple/freckle) appeared in one areola at 12-13dpo (but my progesterone was already heading quite high because I did a fresh stim cycle so had about 10 follicles making progesterone in response to the hCG, in addition to the progesterone pessaries 2x daily).
    I was checking my boobs for signs of pg that day because I felt like my progesterone had risen the day before (slight increase rather than anticipated decrease in pg symptoms), so I guess the feeling that progesterone is rising rather than falling is also a difference between BFNs and BFP cycle.
    Last edited by felicita; 22-03-2012 at 17:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Felicia,

How would you describe that twinge?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jessesgirl View Post
    Hi Felicia,

How would you describe that twinge?
    That's difficult. After a stim and EPU, and with the prog. support there are lots of twinges and aches and stuff going around. And I read on BH that many people need pain killers after EPU, so I don't think my impressions of pain match the general population really well.

The best answer to your question would be: "Different."

Although some of the twinges over the BFNs could be painful, most were a shorter, fatter stabby pain, ranging up to aches (which I describe as a very fat pain that is so short it can't be describes as "stabby" at all), while the one that made me say ouch on a BFP was a longer, and very narrow stabby pain. (Short and long relate to the "shape" of the stabbiness, not to the duration.) That's not to say I didn't get narrow pains on my BFNs, my first or second cycle was full of them and I am unable to describe any particular difference between them across all cycles, beyond the uttering of "ouch" for one.
    The particular "ouch" twinge struck while midway between sitting up and lying down to my right side on bed, and I guess I would normally expect to aggravate an ache rather than trigger a twinge in that position so was taken by surprise.

I hope that answers your question, but I really don't expect it to be useful in the slightest. Better to look for the effects of increasing progesterone (as opposed to stable or decreasing prog. levels).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Felicia,

I get what you are trying to say.. You did well describing it!

I guess I'll know next week! Very frustrated ATM!