+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. One of my 'friends' almost killed me because he didn't take my allergy seriously. I am highly allergic to nuts and this person didn't believe me because he said he had seen me eat nuts ages ago (allergy started when I was a teenager, before then I ate nutella by the spoonful) so he decided to give me a eclair shot. 15 mins later I was in ambulance going into cardiac arrest. Needless to say this person is no longer a friend. My ex MIL is coeliac and I always kept gluten free goods in pantry for her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not an alergy but my DD2 has Cystic Fibrosis and my own MIL classes us as hypocondriacs with her as with any little sniffle we have to get her checked out or they dont bother informing us that they have colds before we go see them

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I've had a doctor tell me Maxalon doesn't contain lactose and prescribed it for me, an hour after taking a dose I was puking my guts up in woolworths and has gastro symptoms for the next 8 hours, a quick call to the pharmacist and I found out it does contain lactose course the looks I get when I tell people I can't have tablets with lactose in them but I can consume dairy are like they think I am making it up!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    Not an alergy but my DD2 has Cystic Fibrosis and my own MIL classes us as hypocondriacs with her as with any little sniffle we have to get her checked out or they dont bother informing us that they have colds before we go see them
    I'm so sorry to hear that, people not taking it seriously is horrible! It's not just a "common cold" for someone with Cystic Fibrosis...

I remember when my dd was born and my MIL had the shocking cough I was worried about whooping cough because it had been going around in our area... I was freaking out when she would visit our new born with this cough that would send her into coughing fits when I asked her if she could go to the dr about it, every one was saying I was paranoid ect and in the end she went and it wasn't whooping cough.
    My dd ended up catching MILs cough when she was 2 weeks old though.. So If it was whooping cough it could have been a whole lot worse.
    but I just remember how worried I was then,
    I could only imagine what you must have to go through on a daily basis
    And to have family not tell you when they have a cold would infuriate me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ItWasntMe View Post
    Yep. One of my 'friends' almost killed me because he didn't take my allergy seriously. I am highly allergic to nuts and this person didn't believe me because he said he had seen me eat nuts ages ago (allergy started when I was a teenager, before then I ate nutella by the spoonful) so he decided to give me a eclair shot. 15 mins later I was in ambulance going into cardiac arrest. Needless to say this person is no longer a friend. My ex MIL is coeliac and I always kept gluten free goods in pantry for her
    That's shocking!! I hope he felt pretty bad after what he seen it did to you!
    To purposely do it.. It almost sounds like he was trying out an experiment on you! To kind of see what would happen... I'm glad to hear he isn't your friend any more..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    YES!

Frustrates me so much, people just dont get it & think im being a *****. I just dont want to end up sick & not be able to care for me kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've been really lucky and people have taken DD1's allergies seriously. We've had the odd slip up here and there and she's had a reaction but everyone is careful, sometimes they don't think...like they'll cut up her sandwich with a knife they've used to cut up a sandwich with butter on it or something but that just means I'm very strict as to who is allowed to look after her.

If we're eating out we always do a thorough investigation of her food before she eats it and she knows she's not allowed to drink her drink until we taste it first. The biggest thing people seem to have trouble with is that she is allergic to tree nuts but she can eat peanuts.

Who knows what it will be like as she gets older. I think people get more complacent when it comes to adults and allergies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't know anyone personally with allergies but I take them seriously by not sending my kids to school with any nut products and when I make a cake ect for playgroup ask all the new people if their kids are allergic but I know of other school mums that don't care and send their kids to school with peanut butter cause it's poor little jonnys faviroute and he won't eat anything ealse her thing was what was the chances of the allergic kid sitting next to her kid at lunch out of all the kids and bad luck if he does my response to her was I wonder how you and you kid will feel once you have murdered someone elses kid just because your kid can't go a couple of hours whilst at school with out nuts and I walked off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2pink 1on way View Post
    I don't know anyone personally with allergies but I take them seriously by not sending my kids to school with any nut products and when I make a cake ect for playgroup ask all the new people if their kids are allergic but I know of other school mums that don't care and send their kids to school with peanut butter cause it's poor little jonnys faviroute and he won't eat anything ealse her thing was what was the chances of the allergic kid sitting next to her kid at lunch out of all the kids and bad luck if he does my response to her was I wonder how you and you kid will feel once you have murdered someone elses kid just because your kid can't go a couple of hours whilst at school with out nuts and I walked off
    Teachers at our school do a lunch box check, and is it has nuts they aren't allowed it. Parents are made aware of this at the time of enrollment. I had to tell them dd had Freenut Butter (nut free) but the lunch duty teacher still took it off her.

SPC is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2010- The Most Passionate Crusader Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm new to allergies, as we're still in the nail biting stage of working out what she reacts to, but I'm finding having a visual aide helps. I show people a picture on my phone of what she looks like if she eats banana. That gets their attention.