+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Do people take your allergies or you children's allergies seriously?

Ok so I have an allergy to peanuts, and my dd has intolerances, but no allergies *touch wood*

I have anaphylaxis with peanuts..
    And People just don't seem to realize how serious it can be!

For example when I was pregnant with my dd, we went over to my in laws for dinner and they ordered pizza, all the pizzas were chicken satay.. (I had told them millions of times in the past about the peanuts) I told them I was allergic and there reply was "can't you just pick the chicken off"
    I went into anaphylaxis from the smell, but even after that happened they still do things like that..

When my Dh (who loved snickers and chocolate coated peanuts) and I first met I had told him plenty of times I couldn't have peanuts and told him he had to be careful with what he ate too.
    He was really good and never ate peanuts, but one night just after we move in together he went to the shops to get some things, bought a snickers, ate it in the car later that night we were kissing, I had one of the worst reactions I have ever had, Dp had to call and ambulance because my epi pen wasn't helping, i ended up in hospital quite sick. I never knew he had the snickers in the car, and he said he didnt think it would have hurt me because he "drank some coke after to wash it away" But ever since that happened he has never had peanuts and is more of a peanut nazi than what I am lol.

I have also had problems in the past with work places, I have told them my allergies to peanuts and they have informed staff there, but sure enough you would walk into the lunch room to have lunch and some was was eating or cooking some type of satay dish or peanut butter.

But I was just wondering, do you feel people take your allergies or your child's allergies seriously?
    Or do you feel like it is a constant battle?

Do you have any stories to shar of people not taking allergies seriously or where they have taken them seriously?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have gone from not taking it seriously to taking it very seriously.

I am a chef so am used to ppl having allergies, intollerances or special requirements. But we were also bombarded with difficult ppl who didn't want something or another in their food (fair enough they are the customer).

But it wears you out and your get 'allergy fatigue'. I know alot of ppl who say they are allergic to x,y,z at a restuarant just because they don't want it in their meal. Again, to each their own, but I think it leads to ppl WITHOUT allergies/true understanding to become compliancent IFKWIM.

For me I try to accomodate EVERYONE (i now run my own business) and while products are wheat free etc, I always say they may have traces but im not overly worried about a celiac buying something that doens't have wheat as a listed ingredient.

BUT, nut allergies - WHOLE DIFFERENT SITUATION!!!! I pretty much refuse to sell them anything. Its life and death and I cannot guarantee something is nut free because I have nuts in prep kitchen and nuts in some of my products.

My sister just had a party for her son a child who is allergic to nuts. I tried to find a nice cake because i didn't have time to make one and all the cafes, bakeries where so flippant!!! No ingredient lists or anything, just a few ppl talking to each other and going 'oh yeh im pretty sure its nut free' WTF - your pretty sure?!?!? You want me to feed this to someone without knowing if it will kill them??!?

I think ppl don't get the difference between allergies and intollerances and the scale for each. A bit of flour can make someone violently ill in the tummy which is nasty, but nuts can kill someone.

Its bloody scary

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD alleriges are to egg and peanuts. FIL trying to stir me and dh up said infront of neighbours that dd wasnt allergic to egg anymore and was allergy free. Felt like an idiot having to stand there saying yes she is then being told shes not. He also took my dh to get poop for the vegie garden. I was told sheep poop. He came back with chicken poop FULL of egg shells and put it in the garden! It was very stressfull waiting for it to all be turned into the ground. Needless to say it did not and will not happen again. FILS

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My dad doesn't take it seriously, or at least didn't at first. But I can't blame him as 'back in his day' allergies were pretty much unheard of and there is no history or allergies in my family. My ds has a peanut allergy and when he was first diagnosed I'd go to my parents house and find my dad eating peanut butter on toast, and leaving a half eaten piece on a plate sitting on the table within ds's reach.. made me very nervous! But he has come around alot now and is usually pretty good with not having anything with peanuts while we're there, though I often check the cupboard to move peanut things up higher.. it's easy to forget and harder to understand when you don't live with it everyday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    People take my DS' allergy very seriously although I wish they wouldn't fly into a panic like some do - he's allergic to pine nuts which really aren't in many foods you'd give a young child anyway.

My collegue is celiac and I find that people are always saying she's "too over the top" with her disease but the problem is the celiac disease has actually caused her bones to lose a LOT of their density, so, yes - even a CRUMB in some butter could be a worry as she could end up snapping bones as she ages - there is NO way for her to reverse this. I certainly hope companies are honest when it comes to labelling gluten on their products or she's in trouble.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just on the point of coeliac disease, it doesn't just make someone sick in the tummy. It attacks the body, can cause cancer, damages the small bowel, makes the person violently ill which can be so bad they are hospitalised, can cause problems with muscle, bones and organs, can lead to miscarriages, often affects their ability to learn, focus, or concentrate, and can interrupt mood and sleep pattern. They may not die, but it doesn't just cause a tummy ache.

To answer the OP, yes they do. My dd is allergic to tomatoes and has coeliac disease, and is also sensitive to gluten and caseine. I have yet to come across a person or a business that is flippant. All food prepared for sharing with people in her class/school is gluten free, nut free and vegan. If kids or adults are unable to have other things, I try to accommodate, but so far wiping out eggs, dairy, nuts, gluten, and honey seems to cover it.
    Last edited by share a book; 21-03-2012 at 13:37.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    share a book - good point. I didn't mean to minimalise it, but it did kinda of sound that way. Im sorry.

I just remember being a chef and doing soem contract work for an agency at an aged care place. The food attendents stuffed up the trays and a lady with celiacs got the wrong meal (well it was on its way to her room). I completely flipped out (i was in charge) and run up there like a maniac because I literally thought omg I am going to kill this women. When I arrived thankfully she hadn't eaten anything, but I was in tears and so upset. The nurse assured me that it wouldn't kill her, its far from ideal and can make her very sick, but it wouldn't kill her if the worst thing happened and she ate it. Thats all I meant.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last time dd had gluten from cross contamination, she was sick in bed for a full night, all the next day and that night, she had brain fog, was fatigued and irritable for that whole week, and her bowel motions took the better part of a week to go back to normal. She fell behind in class, too.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

Areca  (21-03-2012),KatieMarie  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I'm allergic to eggs and have been since I was a tiny child.

I have had people tell me to my face that 'all bread has eggs in it' and 'all pasta has eggs in it'. I cannot begin to tell you how angry it makes me when people who know nothing about my allergy try to challenge what I can and can't eat!

I find that I have less trouble dining out these days, as people are more educated about the seriousness of allergies. Sometimes when I ask if they can check if something has egg in it, they tell me that they don't know, or can't guarantee that it doesn't. I would MUCH rather this response than someone not checking properly and telling me it's fine. Sometimes I find myself ordering the most simple of foods just so I don't have to worry about a possible reaction.

I do not intend to discriminate when I say this, but I have found that Asian restaurants have taken my allergy the least seriously. I had staff members at a Star City noodle place laugh in my face when I tried to get their help when asking if certain dishes had egg in them (about 12 years ago). I ended up ordering a dish and it gave me a reaction. I wanted to hang around in there and throw up all over their counter! I was much younger and less assertive back then - if I had this treatment these days, look out!

I have found over the years that my friends and family are very supportive and careful with their food handling without me even having to ask, which I really appreciate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Growing up i was never near allergies as none of my friends had them. Since having a child i think i have become much more open to them because there is generally always someone around that has an allergy. I know they can be very deadly if not taken seriously and i think there should be more information out there on allergies.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub