+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would be upset with your mum for telling you that your grandad will do it and to stop over reacting! Not to sound rude but does he have some odd obsession/tradition with giving chocolate biscuits to babies in the family? Or was it maybe a once off with your nephew because there was a biscuit there at the time? If likely that he will do it, I would just not leave my baby with him. I'd just watch from a far and if you see him reach for a biscuit, swoop in and say "Oh he's way too young for that" and take bubs off into the kitchen or something. My MIL gave my dd a cruskit when she was 3 months old and I was livid! Made sure my df and myself never take an eye off MIL when we are at her house. Even after we explained that she was far too young for food she kept pushing a piece of cucumber at dd !! Please stick to your guns and try to enjoy your holiday

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PrincessC For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (22-03-2012),SugarSkull  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire86 View Post
    I know he is not actually going to be eating it, only licking it but I just hate to think about my child having chocolate at such a young age. The thing is now I am dreading going as I know I will have to follow my Grandad around to make sure he won't do it when I am not looking & I will not want to go out without my DS incase my Mum takes him to my Grandad's house & while I am not there lets it happen.
    Be firm with them. My in laws ask before doing anything these days because I've been a bit of a *****. And so I should! I'm the only one looking out for DS, nobody else.
    You should also be firm with them. Why make yourself unhappy?
    Tell them that he will not be having any chocolate and they need to respect your decision. If they ask for reasons, tell them that you don't need to give them any reasons because you're his mum.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (22-03-2012),GothChick  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about going with preventative strategy, like have a rattle or rusk or teether ready to give to him as a substitute for his factory made chocolate biscuit insanity.

Disarm him with a baby voiced, 'no, no, no, no, no'.

Or visit when bub is asleep.

My mother does this sort of thing for her own amusement. REALLY irritating.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pru40 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're not over-reacting!! A 3month old is only supposed to be on milk.
    FIL wanted to give DD some brandy custard when she was 3months at Christmas...I refused & although they thought I was over-reacting didn't do it (at least not that I saw).
    MIL told me at 2 months that I should be giving DD water between feeds "because you'll be told to give her some anyway by the Dr so you should start getting her used to it". Um no, I don't think so...
    Am glad they respect my boundaries cos I'd hate to have to go nuts at them.

Your Granddad shouldn't do it if you say no. Tell him if he wants to give his children a chocolate biscuit to lick then to go ahead (although I imagine they can get their own biscuits now lol), but you don't want your child having one at that age! Maybe just swoop in with a "ah ah ah, not for bubs!!"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    That would drive me mental too. My family have, on numerous occasions, talked about buying my baby ice creams etc. I've made it clear that it's not on, but I know unless I police it they'll just do it anyway - so their one on ones with my baby will be nil! So you aren't alone in this situation. The issue for me is the other babies in my family are fed all sorts of junk - my cousin will sit & feed her 6 month old a big plate of cake & ice cream - so they don't see it as an issue. Good luck! Your Grandad & your Mum should both pull their heads in. It's your child, it's your responsibility to protect him & allowing someone to do/give him something just to make them happy is an irrational demand on their part!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to becandabub For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I find your family's attitude a bit baffling. So if your stubborn you can do what you want and everyone else has to give in? I'd reply that I'm stubborn too and I don't want my bub having chocolate.

I don't like the idea of telling people to do things they think are unhealthy simply to make someone else happy. Uh, no.

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it, but I'd be firm. Polite but assertive. No.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    A pp mentioned putting bubs in a sling. I second this idea. And don't take bub out, that way he won't be able to get close enough to offer a biscuit. I know the extended family will want cuddles, but obviously your grandfather can't be trusted and the rest of the family indulge him, so they can't be trusted either.

In a good sling, you'll be able to comfortably carry bubs all day. Much better than stressing about them feeding processed crap to your baby.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to preggasaurus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Dragon View Post
    MIL told me at 2 months that I should be giving DD water between feeds "because you'll be told to give her some anyway by the Dr so you should start getting her used to it".
    omg! I had this too!
    We left dd with MIL for 1/2 hr to go to bank, came back and she was trying to shove water down her throat!

Sorry to hijack, it just drives me mental what inlaws do! :-/

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kezty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated. At least I know that I am not overreacting & that I should def stick to my guns.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    My FIL kept trying to feed Jasper junk food as a baby. I shouted at him once when he tried to ignore me & do it anyway. So i dont think your overreacting.

Id just keep baby in arms and away from grandad unless closely supervised and be prepared to get vocal if you have to.

When jasper got bigger & was on solids i started just handing FIL a bowl & a spoon. lol. here - wanna feed him? heres some fruit or veg. Go for it.