+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am I overreacting?

Ok so I am going to the UK to visit my family in a couple of weeks, my DS will be 3 & half months when we leave & we will be there for 3 weeks.

My Grandad gave my nephew a biscuit with chocolate on it to lick when he was 4 months old & everyone thought that was really cute (I didn't really think it was good) now my Mum is telling me that when I come over my Grandad will do the same with my DS.

I am really annoyed by this & have been telling my Mum that I don't agree with that & at 3 & half months old he should not be licking chocolate, they think I am overreacting & a licking chocolate isn't going to do him any harm & it will make my Grandad happy so why don't I just let it happen. Also my Grandad is really stubborn so they also said that I will have a hard time making sure that it doesn't happen.

Am I overreating? Should I just let it happen to make my Grandad happy? I'm kind of annoyed that they will think I am mean but I just don't agree with it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont think its anyones place to tell you if you are overreacting or not. Its your child and i completely understand why you would not want your 3 month old baby eating chocolate and they should respect your wishes no questions asked.
    Stand your ground, its your child and you shouldnt let anyone try and convince you to do things that you feel are not in their best interest. After all we are the parents and its our job to protect our kids and advocate for them. yes its only a biscuit but i guess its not really the point at the end of the day

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fox For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (21-03-2012),Lulu56  (21-03-2012),SugarSkull  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stand your ground - why do you have to be unhappy to make someone else happy?????

Does the same go for dipping a dummy in scotch to help sooth it to sleep?

Had a friend who's mother thought it was HILARIOUS and great to see her granddaughter eating ice cream cake (covered with every colour of the rainbow) and then within the hour breaking out in full body hives and then being taken to hospital for breathing difficulties when she was 9 months. HILARIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS results for something so short sighted. They say no solid food for a reason and even then - you don't know what reactions your child is going to have to certain ingredients.

We all have mother instincts for a reason ... might have to keep bubs with you at all times when it comes to tea time.

Best of luck

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deville For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (21-03-2012),SugarSkull  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your grandad was wanting to give a chocolate biscuit to a toddler, I might think you were over-reacting just a little bit (and even if you were it's totally your right to do so), but a not even 4 month old baby?? Shouldn't be having anything but milk. Their little tummies are not equipped to digest anything other than milk.

Tell him to bugger off.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CazHazKidz For This Useful Post:

Ash93  (21-03-2012),Claire86  (21-03-2012),MrJones&Me  (22-03-2012),SugarSkull  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know he is not actually going to be eating it, only licking it but I just hate to think about my child having chocolate at such a young age. The thing is now I am dreading going as I know I will have to follow my Grandad around to make sure he won't do it when I am not looking & I will not want to go out without my DS incase my Mum takes him to my Grandad's house & while I am not there lets it happen.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry but that is absolutely not on. If you say no then it means no. I would be livid if someone especially a family member ignored my wishes for my child and did it anyway. I hope they respect you enough and dont try to go behind your back

10. The Following User Says Thank You to The Fox For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stick to your guns!

We went out for lunch at the tavern with my SIL FIL DH MIL and family etc.
    Anyways, my FIL dissapeared with my 2 1/2 yr old nephew, we thought to go look at the play ground.
    Next minute he returns with nephew in arms carrying a glass of red lemonade!

Now not the best drink for a 2 1/2 yr old to start off with.... But for a toddler that has averse reactions to red colourings, and known to get VERY hypo and can chuck an AWESOME tantrum if he has stuff taken off him, it was probably the WORST drink he could give him.

Cut a long story short... Pysco child, major sugar crash, major tantrum, smashed glass (accident) Very p***ed off SIL.

FIL has already told me and DH that he will buy my DD her first red lemonade, which I, maybe rudely (don't really care) said "no you won't."

12. The Following User Says Thank You to kezty For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will always remember my horrid aunt giving DD honey on her dummy when she was about 2 months old. I wasnt even in the room, I came in to everyone going 'awww, give her some more'. I was furious. The first thing other than milk that DD ever had in her life and the choice was taken from me.

I have always been furious with myself for not kicking up a fuss but I was young, naive and let them do what they liked. I said something like 'aw I didnt want her to have that' and they all went 'oh for Gods sake stop being fussy'...

Never again.

He is YOUR son and you know what is best for him. Stick to your guns.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (22-03-2012),SugarSkull  (21-03-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hells no, you aren't over reacting! I'd be furious if someone took that stance with MY child! I don't care how harmless it is, you don't expect me to stand by after I've said no to something and say you'll do it anyway! How beeping rude! I've be well p!ssed.

Smartphones. Enabling my forum addiction.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire86 View Post
    Ok so I am going to the UK to visit my family in a couple of weeks, my DS will be 3 & half months when we leave & we will be there for 3 weeks.

My Grandad gave my nephew a biscuit with chocolate on it to lick when he was 4 months old & everyone thought that was really cute (I didn't really think it was good) now my Mum is telling me that when I come over my Grandad will do the same with my DS.

I am really annoyed by this & have been telling my Mum that I don't agree with that & at 3 & half months old he should not be licking chocolate, they think I am overreacting & a licking chocolate isn't going to do him any harm & it will make my Grandad happy so why don't I just let it happen. Also my Grandad is really stubborn so they also said that I will have a hard time making sure that it doesn't happen.

Am I overreating? Should I just let it happen to make my Grandad happy? I'm kind of annoyed that they will think I am mean but I just don't agree with it.

Any thoughts?
    You're definitely not over reacting. I wouldn't give a baby that young chocolate. I gave DS a chocolate cupcake the other week because it was his christening and I felt like treating him. He's 9 months old. That day I was told that I was overreacting when I refused to give him a second cupcake and a sip of beer.
    You do what's right for you. Yes, it'll make your grandfather happy, but he's a grown man. I'm sure he can understand your parenting choices and if he can't, he'll have to get over it. Bub is only 3 months old... I don't think chocolate is the best idea for a 3 month old. Be firm with them = )

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

Claire86  (22-03-2012)