+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default For those that have had both- which was easier? vaginal birth or c-section

Hi

A bit of background first. I have had 6 vaginal deliveries. Each baby has been bigger than the last, with my 6th being 4.4kg. I am now expecting my 7th and quite scared about birthing vaginally again. I've been told that as a grand multipara (a woman who has birthed more than 5 babies) there are quite a few heightened risks with labour. Conversely, I've also been told a few concerning c-section stories.

So, please share your stories and advice to help me decide which way to go. I do have the option of an elective c-section, but need to be better informed before I make up my mind.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I've had a vaginal birth and a csection and my recovery was heaps easier after the vaginal birth. There also weren't the same birth related complications for my vaginally born child.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

babylily  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My Aunt just had her 9th baby, the first 8 were born safely via vaginal birth under the same MW, her 9th ended up in a c-section as the baby was found to be stuck transverse when she went into labour, new MW who I think didn't really do her duty of care in the lead up with ensuring baby was positioned well for birth. She said it was horrible as she is very confident in her ability to birth vaginally (obviously). Her babies are also generally very big (11 pounders).

Have you had complications with previous labours? If not then I would personally go VB.

I've had 2 elective c-sections and both were wonderful experiences, an elective is generally much more pleasant than an emergency, so I'd look into elective c-section experiences specifically if you decide to take that route.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

babylily  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had both and my VB was much easier to recovery from even with the episiotomy than the c-section. Nothing went wrong with the c-section, no complications, just the physical restrictions were harder than with the VB. At the end of the day you have to do what is right for you and your body. Good luck with your decision.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

babylily  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply Blissedout.

Whilst there were no major complications per se, most of them have been very long and I get panic attacks when I think about having to endure that amount of pain for so long. I know I probably sound like a wuss, but I am already exhausted just thinking about it

Saying that, I've heard that recovery from a c-section can be very painful and I'm also concerned about the immobility, especially with such a big family to look after.

Hard decision to make...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    http://www.bubhub.com.au/community/f...be-Empowering!

Great thread about positive c-section experiences.

My personal recovery was great, aside from coughing I was back to normal within 2 weeks, I was shopping within 3 days. Different factors contribute to your recovery though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had both and would happily do either again as they were both positive experiences, but my recovery was definitely more straightforward after the vaginal birth. That is such an individual thing though.

The actual birth - csection was easier. I really enjoyed it. Recovery - VB won hands down, but I had some complicating factors that interfered with my c/section incision healing properly. The other ladies I was with recovered much faster and were up and about the next day (albeit carefully).

Good luck, I hope whatever you decide it goes smoothly for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

babylily  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had a VB, emergency c section and a elective c section. They all have there positive and negative. But to be completely honestly I would have to say the elective was the easiest. I had no real pain at all even just some discomfit, recovery was great. Even though yes you do have to heal from a c section I felt it was better than healing from my VB after the tear in the downstairs department. That is just my experience and opinion though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to LKJHG For This Useful Post:

babylily  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    3vb and 1 elect cs here. hands down the CS was so much easier. much much less painful much faster recovery. my baby did have some complications but the were exactly the same complications my previous vb baby had so i don't think they were caused by the cs iykwim. def have another cs next time

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpysmurf For This Useful Post:

babylily  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about a planned VB? As is an induction 2 to 3 weeks early before bub gets too big, and an epidural for the pain?

I wouldn't suggest an induction without pain relief, it's more painful than natural labour.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Pru40 For This Useful Post:

babylily  (21-03-2012)