+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Another dog food thread! What else should I be feeding?

I know there was a pet food thread the other day but I just wanted to start another one about my situation. My dogs are healthy and looked after, but I sometimes don't feel like I do enough and that they aren't really eating the healthiest, best food. They are pretty much on dry food all the time, and sometimes have marrow bones (although they are a bit big for the little dog) and occasionally a treat or something (pig ears or the like.) So, what else should I be doing to boost their diet? I have heard of some people mentioning things like eggs and tuna? Is this something that is recommended and if so how often? So all those who like to spoil their pooches a little, please share your knowledge with me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, what kind of dry food ate you feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We use Science Diet (Large Breed) or Advance (Large Breed). Bit more expensive but the vet recommended it because it has all nutrients covered. We dont have to feed him anything else. Just bones to clean his teeth. He's a 40kg pure bred American Staffy. Very activevand very fit looking.
    We tried another sort of food recently and he ended up all boney and lost muscle. It was ick. We had to supplement that food with eggs and chicken carcasses.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyls For This Useful Post:

OnceUponATime  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    My dog gets no dry or tinned food.

He has grated carrot and zucchini mixed with raw meat. Usually ground chicken frames. He gets bones a few times a week-lamb necks, lamb forequarter chops. And every few weeks a big beef bone sliced in half so he can get to the marrow.

Once or twice a week he will get an egg mixed in his dinner or a can of sardines in oil.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Our puppy gets nutro dry food and a bone everyday.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

OnceUponATime  (21-03-2012),Pammyla  (22-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Any dog trainer will tell you not to listen to a vet with food recommendations bcoz they get PAID to sell various products! The ultimate food diet for any dog is RAW dog food.. High in nutrients n protein for them. If u wanna make ur own... Use pet mince n mix it up with veges (but no corn).
    If u wanna know bout diet further speak to a trainer. Especially since sum behavioral issues are associated to diet.

Good luck
    (try Urban Dog Trainings website as a starting pt... They've regularly won awards for how good they are!)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sasssssy For This Useful Post:

lones  (26-03-2012),MissMuppet  (26-03-2012),OnceUponATime  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pammyla View Post
    Hey, what kind of dry food ate you feeding?
    I'm not sure as I don't buy it. But it wouldn't be the most expensive one available. I daresay it would be a cheaper brand. We couldn't afford the real expensive ones. Is anyone able to recommend a good medium priced dry food.

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Our puppy gets nutro dry food and a bone everyday.
    I only give bones once every few weeks. Is that not often enough? What type of bones waterlily?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasssssy View Post
    Any dog trainer will tell you not to listen to a vet with food recommendations bcoz they get PAID to sell various products! The ultimate food diet for any dog is RAW dog food.. High in nutrients n protein for them. If u wanna make ur own... Use pet mince n mix it up with veges (but no corn).
    If u wanna know bout diet further speak to a trainer. Especially since sum behavioral issues are associated to diet.

Good luck
    (try Urban Dog Trainings website as a starting pt... They've regularly won awards for how good they are!)
    Thanks for the info Is there anyway you can combine a bit of a raw diet with some dry food? I'm just not sure about the cost of a raw diet? What kind of vegies do you use?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure where you are located, but I use black hawk holistic dog food. There are suppliers all over the place. It's made in Australia by a dog breeder/show person looking for a great quality food for her dogs. If you google 'Black Hawk dog food' and click on retailers they'll show you where you can get it. It's only $75 for a 20kg bag, so very good value for money!!
    I feed this, with raw chicken wings, and also throw in a shared tin of tuna once a week to keep their coats nice. Every breed is different so it's hard to pin point what everyone's dogs should be fed. Mine are Shar-pei and need low protein food, and higher essential oils etc. But Black Hawk are about to start customizing more food for other breeds including Shar-pei so I'm excited.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bundleoflove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We mix a raw egg, a small tin of sardines or tuna & a teaspoon of garlic in with our dog's food once or twice a week. Our vet recommended it, as the garlic is good for deterring fleas (they are also flea treated regularly as well though) & the eggs & tuna are good for their coats. Our dogs have beautiful coats so that's probably why