User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Good books about labour?

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has some good recommendations for books about labour/pain management during labour and so forth. I'm a little obsessed with the whole "knowledge is power" thing at the moment!! I have heard elsewhere on the forum that one called Birth Skills is quite good but are there any others that people have found particularly helpful?

Thanks a million!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Have your thought about hypnobirthing bookes? They can give you some great stratgies for pain management. I read and read for my DDs birth, watched lots of lovely homebirths and was very well prepared for the labour which turned out to be really not that painful at all (unlike DS who was induced).
    Him (41) Me (44)
    DS (Jun 2007)
    DD (Dec 2010)

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted - Ralph Waldo Emerson

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Aurelius2011  (20-03-2012)

headoverfeet is offline You have never really lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Gentle birth gentle mothering awesome book, my fav one! Also Ina May Gaskins guide to childbirth
    Mr 35- web designer Ms-31 SAHM
    Mr 7- I think I know it all Mr 5- I want to do it all Miss 3- The Queen
    Extreme Babysitting- Story of a Gestational Surrogate

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Janet Balaskas (?) - Active Birth or New Active Birth (not sure which one, probably doesn't matter). I found this one most useful in just making me feel confident about the whole process and relaxing into it and just letting labour happen. This was by fat the most effective pain management strategy for me combined with the shower. Everyone is different though and you won't know until you get there.

Birth Skills - good for arming yourself with pain management strategies. I only used a couple but you never know what might work for you.

Gentle Birth Gentle Mothering - good for educating yourself for making informed decisions right through pregnancy and for your labour. Can get a bit heavy and confusing with so much info and can be a bit "fluffy" but worth the read.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    New active birth!!..... I can't rember the author right now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2luv View Post
    Yep, Birth Skills is really good and well worth reading . It's the only book I've read in preparation for my birth.

I have just recently typed up some of the skills to bring along with me in labour so I don't forget what to do and DH can help me follow them as he hasn't read the book. Hopefully these will help with pain management.
    Thanks luv2luv - I had a good chuckle to hear that you have taken notes! That is just the kind of thing that I would do. I'm such a geek!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found birth skills great, I went into labour armed with so much confidence (and notes too), even though my labour didn't go to plan I felt like I had control, before I read that book I had no idea, it helped me heaps

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read them yet but I ordered all the books mentioned on this thread on the book depository the other day

Me (31) DH (35)
    Miss E (4.9.12)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A Labour of Love is a great book about labour it's written by an Aussie from WA also can get it with CD with birth affirmations and relaxation tracks. CD can be found in iTunes and I go the book from the authors website labor of love. It's this that I attribute to having a drug free natural labour