+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Red face Help please :). Returning to work, Centerlink payments & Child Support.

Hello Everyone, I am so pleased to have found this forum! Please if there is anyone who has a better understanding of the issues I mentioned in my title I would appreciate your help.

I am a single mum to 3 kids 8 yrs and younger. I separated 1 year ago from my husband. Since then I have been getting the following from Centerlink:

Parenting Payment Single
    Family Tax part A
    Family Tax part B
    and Child Support from the father.

What I cannot seem to understand or grasp more like is what happens to these payments if I go to work part time? I have found a job that is two days a week and pays $21,000 a year. I have been to Centerlink 3 times in the last week and each time I walk out with different information! This is not making my decision any easier. Of course I want to work as long as we will be in a better financial position. Given the income of $21,000 a year, how much parenting payment is lost? What about Part A & B of family tax? then there is Child support??? So far Centerlink have said they access my entitlement based on the current tax year but the Child Support Agency work on the previous tax year???? I don't understand at all.

Will I be better off going to work or not? I am anxious about leaving my 14 month old son at daycare but that's just me and I am sure I will feel peace when the time comes to actually dropping him off .

I am finding this decision very hard to make . If it helps I get about $1360 a fortnight from Centerlink and child support of $440 a fortnight.

Please help me make some sense of all this. I need to make a clear decision but importantly I can't get an answer as to whether I will be better or not? If so by how much? Also is child support considered an income to centerlink or not?

Thanks for reading and I really hope you can help.

Many thanks,
    S

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Your Parenting Payment Single will be affected by income. The first $105 (I think) will not affect payments, but it will reduce by 40c in the dollar based on gross (before tax and other deductions) pay. Depending on your earnings, your ex's earnings, and care arrangements, it may reduce what you receove in CS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

PeppermintPaddy  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Check your PM's. :-)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyls View Post
    Check your PM's. :-)
    Hmm cant send them to you.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    oh dear... not sure why I can't receive any messages? Well this is becoming anxious. I have just two days to go and I need to know what I will be doing . Ideally I wanted to study Teaching as an external student through Seek Learning but I don't qualify for studying now and paying back later !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm cant send them to you.
    Hi please try resend whatever information you have. I need clarity and I don't know whether I am doing the right thing or not . Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You cannot receive (or send) PMs until you have a minimum number of posts. The number is not high, perhaps 5, perhaps 10, perhaps 20, I'm not sure. I think 5 is most likely, so two more posts and hopefully it might be unlocked for you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still not working so...
    This link will show you heaps.
    http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...estimators.htm
    Pps is paid each fortnight (f/n) based on your gross f/n income. So that will be roughly $21000 divided by 26 = $807.70 gross. It is not affected by child support. Your payment of pps would be $395.
    -------
    Ftb A and Ftb B will not change as long as your Pps stays on. Being on Pps gives you a higher rate of ftb.
    Ftb A is the only one affected by child support.
    -------
    Child support is based on previous tax years. So payments now are based on the 10/11 tax numbers. Next assessment it will be based on the tax returns from this July. But if you start work now it will only be for 3 months of financial year. Shouldnt impact your assessment too much.
    --------
    Hope that helps a bit.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi I'm a single parent who works part-time too. your family tax won't chane until you earn more than about $40k your child support may change slightly once you are employed. As for parenting payment single you can earn $175 fortnight before it effects your payment add $25 fortnight for your second and subsequent children after this you will lose 40cents in the dollar until it's all gone. You may qualify for JET CHILD CARE too. You need to apply ASAP once granted you will only pay 10cents an hr for childcare for your first 6 months of employment. Can be a great help!! If u have any other questions feel free to PM me anytime.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to nelle7250 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Still not working so...
    This link will show you heaps.
    http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...estimators.htm
    Pps is paid each fortnight (f/n) based on your gross f/n income. So that will be roughly $21000 divided by 26 = $807.70 gross. It is not affected by child support. Your payment of pps would be $395.
    -------
    Ftb A and Ftb B will not change as long as your Pps stays on. Being on Pps gives you a higher rate of ftb.
    Ftb A is the only one affected by child support.
    -------
    Child support is based on previous tax years. So payments now are based on the 10/11 tax numbers. Next assessment it will be based on the tax returns from this July. But if you start work now it will only be for 3 months of financial year. Shouldnt impact your assessment too much.
    --------
    Hope that helps a bit.
    Thanks helps a lot. Thank you for taking the time to help me work everything out. Hmmm so looking at all this would you agree that I will be better off at work? Thanks again.