+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default My son is pushing other kids!

Ds is 2.5yrs old and I have been told by daycare that he pushes other kids (some bigger than him too). He also hits, but it is mainly the pushing. I feel sick everytime I go to pick him up (he goes 2x per week). I cant do much from home as this behaviour is at daycare, so I dont see it here. I try to tell him before hand not to push other kids (why etc), he repeats the rules back to me, but does't seem to follow them.
    I was told that the other kids move away when he comes near them, or now they are starting to 'fight back' (one kid scatched him today).

Some how he seems to 'enjoy' pushing them with his hands or other objects (eg: driving a toy car or bike into them). He gets to hyper around other toddlers, like he cant control his excitement.

My son can be so affectionate, funny, loving...however this behaviour makes him seem like such a terrible boy.

I dont know what to do anymore

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS2 is the same. He's 2.5 and a lot bigger then the other kids at daycare. It started with him wanting to give the other kids hugs and when they don't want to, he pushes them. Now it's turned into when he wants their toy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Unfortunately as a mother of a very rough, randomly aggressive, seriously lacking self control 2.5 yr old DS I don't have much advice, just hugs.

Its a really awful feeling to be anxious about whether your toddler is going to hurt or frighten another child. We just talk about being gentle, about how hurting people is not nice, practise being gentle, talk about expectations before a playdate etc. We try to be a no-smacking family (we slip up, I find it difficult to control myself when he hits/pushes/kicks DD or me). None of the above has done anything to stop our DS but obviously we can't do nothing. Be patient and persistent and consistent and hope its a short phase.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Kaktuz is offline Slowly losing the plot.............
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 2 year old is such a bully but it doesn't matter where we are. We have managed to get him to stop biting and pulling hair, but now he just shoves everyone. I don't know if its because he gets frustrated or what. No answers, but i hope if i wait patiently enough someone might have some.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Apparently this is a pretty common theme for toddlers on the verge of a language breakthrough. When they know the words but they just can't quite spit them out and they resort to being physical instead. It doesn't mean you're a bad parent! Hopefully will pass soon, but the pp have some good ideas.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks all for your replies. I just feel like I am not coping ATM with a newborn and most of you know that my dad recently passed away (cancer) and my mum has cancer (most likely cured as caught early), so everything is just so hard to deal with.
    I tried to call parent line last night but was on hold for 45min, so had to hang up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    hi! don't have an answer, but i couldn't read and not at least give you hugs! hope things get better for you soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP, I'm a daycare mum and I see this alot in children that age. Its a horrible stage for parents but it doesn't last long. You just have to guide them through it the best you can. *big hugs*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all.
    I am considering taking him out of long day care (2 days per week 9am-4.30pm) and only taking him to occasional care (9am-noon) as I am on mat leave. WDYT? Maybe a full day is too much for him at this stage of his development (and having a new sibling and me stressed with things going on at home) (Oh I forgot to mention that I am stressed ATM as my dad just passed away 3 weeks ago and my mum is having chemo for cancer, so he can probably sense my anxiety + new baby brother).
    Last edited by 2BlueBirds; 25-03-2012 at 06:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump