+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mummy Nanny- interest? How much would you pay?

I am currently pregnant with my first baby, and I'm just exploring options for my "return to work." I am a registered midwife/nurse and a nanny, and I'm just curious if people would be interested in a "mummy nanny" and how much they would pay? I'm not actually advertising my availability just yet, more of a survey!
    Any opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What would you actually do? Depending on services & hours that are available.

Sent from my HTC Desire using BubHub

threechooks is offline If my spelling annoys you that's your problem.... I have better things to do than proofread !
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I need before school care, someone to drop kids at school and daycare at a reasonable hour (8 hours per week). I am looking to pay someone $15 per hour plus fuel money. Honestly though I would be scared that if your baby was sick etc you would pull out last minute leaving me up the creek without a paddle.

For this reason, I am looking for someone with grown up kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yes I think about $15 per hour. The thing that concerns me about mummy nannies is that their own child's needs and wants would (understandably) come first. I'd be really interested to hear mummy nannies' views on this....

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was a mummy nanny

Firstly, be sensible about ages you work with. For example, my DS was only 6months old when I returned to work with a new family.

I knocked back many jobs with toddlers and younger kids. I did after school 4 days a week with a 5 and 7 year old. Until 7pmish.

We (me and the family) had CLEAR expectations and understanding of the scenario. For example, my son was 6 months old, so obviously going to take more of my attention that primary school aged kids. As such, I halved my normal rate. I set out before I began how I planned to go about things, if it didn't suit the family then don't hire me. lol.

So, they days that DS was fussy and wouldnt sleep, or wanted to feed for longer than usual I felt no guilt. They were also awesome and set up a cot in the spare room for him for his nap.

In saying that, I still picked kids up, helped with homework, cooked dinner and got them in the bath. My DS was very easy though and would often sleep the whole time.

As our expectations of each other were so clear, I never called in sick because DS was off colour. Obviously, I would say 'DS has a runny nose- your call' but because I could still tend to him like I would at home it was not an issue.

I would not recommend a difficult age gap, so 19 months and 3 months for example. I loved it!

Sadly, uni timetable changed and I had to leave but it worked well

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard.Manny.Fran View Post
    I was a mummy nanny

Firstly, be sensible about ages you work with. For example, my DS was only 6months old when I returned to work with a new family.

I knocked back many jobs with toddlers and younger kids. I did after school 4 days a week with a 5 and 7 year old. Until 7pmish.

We (me and the family) had CLEAR expectations and understanding of the scenario. For example, my son was 6 months old, so obviously going to take more of my attention that primary school aged kids. As such, I halved my normal rate. I set out before I began how I planned to go about things, if it didn't suit the family then don't hire me. lol.

So, they days that DS was fussy and wouldnt sleep, or wanted to feed for longer than usual I felt no guilt. They were also awesome and set up a cot in the spare room for him for his nap.

In saying that, I still picked kids up, helped with homework, cooked dinner and got them in the bath. My DS was very easy though and would often sleep the whole time.

As our expectations of each other were so clear, I never called in sick because DS was off colour. Obviously, I would say 'DS has a runny nose- your call' but because I could still tend to him like I would at home it was not an issue.

I would not recommend a difficult age gap, so 19 months and 3 months for example. I loved it!

Sadly, uni timetable changed and I had to leave but it worked well
    That sounds great! Would you mind letting me know what you charged roughly?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I look after my dd and one little girl and charge 10 per hour, I didn't feel comfortable charging any higher as I feel I split my time in half so also my pay!

I am yet to come across and major issues with which baby to comfort if both upset etc, I find that my dd just wants to help if other baby crying, and If my dd needs some attention we just sit on the floor for a cuddle next to the baby.

Good luck with finding the right family

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by andthentherewerethree View Post
    Hey, I look after my dd and one little girl and charge 10 per hour, I didn't feel comfortable charging any higher as I feel I split my time in half so also my pay!

I am yet to come across and major issues with which baby to comfort if both upset etc, I find that my dd just wants to help if other baby crying, and If my dd needs some attention we just sit on the floor for a cuddle next to the baby.

Good luck with finding the right family
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, my rate was $12 an hour for mummy nannying. Obviously not a lot, but they way I saw it, I wasn't being paid to look after my own child, and was doing that as well. I did it because it was better than sitting around home

Mummy nannying is NOT for you if you want to earn a lot of money from it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I charged $12 an hour for looking after a couple of little ones (on different days) at my home.

I asked for $18 but was offered $20 by a mum who asked me to be her nanny that I met through a crèche I worked at looking after her daughter. I did actually look after her at my house, but I picked her up & dropped her off because her mum wanted to have the day to herself at home.

Another option could be a crèche for work? Often (from my experience and talking to other mum's) gym crèches or mums & bub's personal training sessions, will hire mums with babies & you take baby. The job i had working for a personal trainer even said in the job description that the position would suit mothers. I was paid $18 in one crèche & $15 in the other.