+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default "Reality" TV encourages real life bullying

I was watching an episode of MKR, and was disturbed by the nasty comments going to air by the jury about the contestants

I only watched it after a strong recommendation by a work collegue who was rebelling in how nasty some of the people where.

I wonder, I look at the likes of MKR, which I am told by my kids is a school hottest watched program, and think, how can we expect kids to play nice, say nice, be nice and yet they watch the like reality tv program and see adults getting off on people being expelled, people cheering when they see/hear horrible people to etc etc

I think reality tv is fostering a bullying culture and I have little wonder when I see kids being nasty to each other.

Guest Guest
    I don't watch shows like that, I can't stand the way they treat each other and it makes me cringe. The only reality shows on are master chef and biggest loser here which I don't find too bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I thought that the few times I saw Australian Idol and the likes. They make it through, or they don't make it through. The nasty comments, particularly around a person's looks, weight, choice of clothing, hair style, sexuality, is completely unnecessary and potentially very harmful, for the contestants and others.

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I see your point, but at the same time, life isnt all rainbows and compliments. These people go on the show to be judged...they know this, people watching the show know this. Most reality shows are aired at or after 7:30 which is when younger kids are in bed, so I guess that might be the networks excuse.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to London For This Useful Post:

IamTryingToHideHere  (20-03-2012),Stiflers Mom  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by London View Post
    I see your point, but at the same time, life isnt all rainbows and compliments. These people go on the show to be judged...they know this, people watching the show know this. Most reality shows are aired at or after 7:30 which is when younger kids are in bed, so I guess that might be the networks excuse.

Yes, I agree, life isn't rainbows and lollipops, but it shouldn't be celebrating the mean spirited people either.

I don't think many kids over 8 are in bed by 7.30 - and bullying starts to become rife in middle school.

I do think there's a casual effectand a link between the media saturation and themes in tv/media and the rise in bullying

We all knew a bully when we were at school. In the 70's when I was starting middle school, there was maybe one bully in each year level and one really nasty bully in the whole school. When speaking to a retiring teacher yesterday (who taught me when I was 6) she said that the attitude, behaviour and demeanor of kids had changed exponentially and so many more kids were just nasty, aggressive and mean

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    All TV shows have a "bad guy," and reality is no exception. It'd be too boring if people were just, "Wow, that was great," or "Well... at least they tried," every episode. Nobody would watch.

People love to have a villain and these "bad guy" characters are just fulfilling a role. I don't think I'm a particularly nasty person... but I watch heaps of these shows and love to hate the bad guy. I do think these shows are not made for children though, and that parents should be monitoring their viewing if they have any concerns.

I do suspect bullying was common long before reality TV was... there wasn't really much reality TV when I was in primary school, but there was still plenty of bullying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We watch very little tv here, but when the early seasons of Aus Idol were on, there were lots of comments about physical appearance. When someone is there to sing, that is the only thing that needs to be judged. I remember once watching a Transvestite audition. That was awful it was a singing competition, not a beauty pageant, and even if it was, the horrific comments were so degrading it was sickening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP I know what you mean, There is a show on foxtel called 'fashion police' hosted by Joan rivers, and its all about bagging (or very rarely by her, complimenting) a celebs dress sense. Some of the nasty comments made by her leave me gobsmacked, and I often wonder how kids would go watching it. She makes remarks about what a celeb is wearing, than the other hosts have a little giggle. How is a teenager watching this show meant to differentiate between a joke and a joke at someone else's expense?

London is offline “I think we're losing our sense of humor instead of being able to relax and laugh at ourselves" - Betty White
    Winner 2012 - BubHubber you'd like to meet IRL
    Winner 2012 - Best Avatar

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WorkingClassMum View Post
    Yes, I agree, life isn't rainbows and lollipops, but it shouldn't be celebrating the mean spirited people either.

I don't think many kids over 8 are in bed by 7.30 - and bullying starts to become rife in middle school.

I do think there's a casual effectand a link between the media saturation and themes in tv/media and the rise in bullying

We all knew a bully when we were at school. In the 70's when I was starting middle school, there was maybe one bully in each year level and one really nasty bully in the whole school. When speaking to a retiring teacher yesterday (who taught me when I was 6) she said that the attitude, behaviour and demeanor of kids had changed exponentially and so many more kids were just nasty, aggressive and mean
    Absolutely agree that bullying is getting worse. I personally think its also because people are putting themselves out there more to be bullied, with things like Facebook and the internet in general.
    'Back in the day' you got bullied for your clothes or car etc, and you generally copped it at school and that was it. Nowdays kids can be bullied left right and center. Their Facebook accounts are on show and mobile numbers get passed around and suddenly they cant escape the taunts.

Kids have always been mean. Maybe once upon a time the little caveman kid laughed at the other caveman kid because his loincloth was a bit more tattered or something equally as trivial, but kids now take things more personal because thats just the way society has become. Kids will be kids. I agree with Sassy that back in my day there wasnt reality tv and yet bullying was around alot.

As far as adult bullying goes, well thats just people being bored, isnt it? Most people are nosey by nature and everyone has an opinion...it sjust some choose to not keep it to themselves.

Thats JMO on it all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I COMPLETELY agree with you OP... and as a school teacher, I have also seen this first hand being played out in the yard. We had a group of girls in tears because they were playing 'My Kitchen Rules' in the school yard, and they were being so nasty to each other and picking on a few girls. This was in grade 3, so an age when children are often awake and watching TV later than 7:30, but not yet mature enough not to bring what they watch to their play and relationships. I personally think that these types of TV shows are not appropriate for children... or at least, if children watch them, conversations about what contestants are saying & doing, how it must make the other contestants feel, and why it isn't nice, should at least take place.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (21-03-2012)