User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nosey family..

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Nosey family..

How do you deal with nosey family members??

My mil finds out everything she can about my pg and goes back to share with everyone.. Like today my second test for gestational diabetes, I really didn't want anybody knowing coz I'm kinda ashamed but was down my throat as soon as she walked through the door..
    ME- 29 & DP- 32
    Together for 10 years.
    DS- My little preppy.
    DD- 18 months and mischief.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I just don't disclose a lot of things, to me pregnancy is really on a 'need to know basis' when it comes to family.

Why do feel ashamed about your second GD test? There's nothing to be ashamed of, sometimes you need to sit the 2nd one purely because of the breakfast (might have been sweeter than normal) that you may have eaten on the day of your first GD test. So don't let that worry you, or more to the point, don't worry about what 'other' people may think.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to [Mod] Uniquey For This Useful Post:

MumDadBoyandGirl  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a very nosy family too. I have learned to embrace it though. I actually liked my family knowing most things. I found the fact they are nosy comforting in a way, it is their way of showing they care. DP's family however were the total opposite, I would offer information to seemingly reluctant ears and end up feeling like they didnt want to know.

I dont think having gestational diabetes is anything to be ashamed of. As far as I know anyone can get it, even the fittest and healthiest people. Its a pregnancy thing as far as I know.

Maybe if they are too nosy for your liking maybe dont mention upcoming appointments thereby avoiding the barrage of questions. That and generalisations are a great way to gloss over the details you dont want publicly known. ie: how did your appointment go? oh yeah not too bad, I just gotta do the usual and make sure I'm not too stressed. nothing too major.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know what u mean! I have a very nosey family in laws and i don't tell them a thing except dh does! I think they know more about my personal problems or non problems than i know of.

Best to keep things a secret from them or really play down what's going on with your pregnancy as someone said. Always just say it was the usual appointment maybe just talk about things you don't mind being shared around like baby size weights etc and keep the more personal things to yourself.also that wont look like your hiding anything if suddenly you stop telling everything. Sucks i know but saves having people u don't know about knowing all your business.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Me too!!
    Just a word of advice, when it comes to your labour and delivery don't tell details regarding stitches, etc while she is in earshot and tell DP/DH not to mention it either..

MIL always asks the details regarding peoples births and then tells others. Example regarding her niece "oh yes she had a horrible time of it and tore quite badly, from end to end apparently"!!!

Who does that?
    Why would you think people want that broadcast??

Sorry, vent over :-(

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 2girls1boyplus1 View Post
    Me too!!
    Just a word of advice, when it comes to your labour and delivery don't tell details regarding stitches, etc while she is in earshot and tell DP/DH not to mention it either..

MIL always asks the details regarding peoples births and then tells others. Example regarding her niece "oh yes she had a horrible time of it and tore quite badly, from end to end apparently"!!!

Who does that?
    Why would you think people want that broadcast??

Sorry, vent over :-(
    I know exactly what you mean!!
    ME- 29 & DP- 32
    Together for 10 years.
    DS- My little preppy.
    DD- 18 months and mischief.