+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Am I selfish?

I am pregnant atm, only 10 and a half weeks along. My mum and sister are calling me selfish for NOT aborting, just because my boyfriend went to jail last week and wont have a chance to get out until march 2014 (bub will be 17 months old).
    I don't understand why this is making them call me selfish, I'd assume aborting BECAUSE dad isn't around would be more selfish. I know they aren't pleased that I am pregnant again (they never are) but the hurtful things they are saying is making me feel so horrible and cry all the time.
    What is your opinion on my decision to have this baby without it's father around for the beginning. Please be honest, I respect honesty, even if I do not agree.
    Thanks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dragonia For This Useful Post:

GluttonForPunishment  (20-03-2012)

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think it's selfish at all!! on them for not being more supportive.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

Dragonia  (20-03-2012),LoveLivesHere  (20-03-2012),NowWhoWantsPie?  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The fact that you want to keep your baby is the most unselfish thing a person can do. I hope their reaction is because they are scared of the circumstances which your baby will be born into, but non the less it's no excuse to bring up abortion and make you feel guilty/horrible because you have chosen to keep your baby. I hope your family come around, but if not maybe distance yourself from them until things clam down

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlemissmetal For This Useful Post:

Dragonia  (20-03-2012)

GluttonForPunishment is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Optimistic Poster and Newbie of the Year Awards
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's a very brave and loving thing to do, and your sister and mum deserve a swift kick up the backside. You're wanting to bring this child into the world. I imagine that you will love this baby and give it every chance in life that you possibly can. No one can ask for more. Good for you! Don't second guess yourself. This is your decision to make, nobody elses. If this feels right to you, then do it and to hell with what they think.

for you. You deserve so much more support than what they're giving you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to GluttonForPunishment For This Useful Post:

Dragonia  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No you most certaintly are not selfish, thats very awful and unsupportive of them to say such a thing

Sent from my U8510 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thats shocking. 100% with you.
    Plenty of women do just fine on their own- admittedly it will be tough, but good on you for not wanting to abort.

Don't listen to them, you do what you need to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Having been in a relationship with someone in and out of jail, I know just how much harder doing this on your own is going to be - I don't see it as selfish at all.

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    hi, your decision to keep the bub is not being selfish, it is the opposite. You deserve more support from your family. You will have enough to deal with once the baby arrives, ignore them, they should be offering to help not making you feel bad. Marie.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree that abortion is a terrible thing to ask of someone, also support is what you need.
    Is there any other reason why they think you might not be able to care for the child (other than your partner being in jail). I looked back on some of your posts and see that you have 2 other children and were on the pill when you fell pregnant this time (so I assume this was unplanned)?
    You are not being selfish, but I don't know you and your family knows more, so we can say keep the child, but dont know your living (house, finance, etc) situation.
    Do you want another child?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh my! *hugs* for you first of all!
    and well done for you standing your ground and saying your keeping your baby! which in fact (in my opinion) very UNselfish of you.
    Your putting someone else's life/thoughts/feelings/well being before your own.
    your not selfish at all OP! its quite sad they don't support you in such a hard time!
    oh and congratulations! =) oo <- hugs again