+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default when do they insert the catheter when having a c section?

do they put it in after you're numb? does it hurt coming out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am due to hav a c section in just 5 weeks and interested to know the answers to this also.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They put it in after your spinal/ epidural. No it doesn't hurt coming out. It's uncomfortable, but it doesn't hurt. I've had three. Just make sure you drink heaps of water before they take it out and get yourself going to the toilet ASAP. If you don't pass urine within 2 hours then they put another one in. Now that one will be very uncomfortable as it goes in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes after you have your spinal block, when they lay you down they do it, you don't know they are doing it, it dosen't hurt when it comes out its just a weird feeling. Hope that helps.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wigglemum View Post
    Just make sure you drink heaps of water before they take it out
    Best advice! I couldn't reach my tray where my water was so I hadn't drunk enough and they wouldn't take it out first up. Only lasted another 2 hours thankfully.

I was expecting pain or something when it came out but there was truly no pain at all. Just an odd feeling that's over in all of 3 seconds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just had C section 2 weeks ago, didn't feel it go in or come out was totally pain free for me and I had a training midwife take it out. My hospital supplied bottled water which I drank about 7 litres of water during the night and morning after as I was so thirsty- so maybe that helped the whole situation. - poor midwifes though having to empty it regularly

earthfairy is offline Winner 2009 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    In Antarctica for 12 months.... I mean Tassie!!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    You wont feel a thing! Going in or out!

I will advise though, as well as drinking some water to get into the ural, cranberry tablets/juice as well as soon as you can! I ended up with a UTI a few days after it came out.... I am susceptible to getting them, but it cant hurt you just to take that precaution!

Best of Luck!

EF x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Didnt feel a thing going in or coming out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Mine was put in after I had the spinal and was in theatre. The midwife actually wanted to do it when I was still on the ward, she said it was more private that way. I really didn't care who saw in theatre and did not want to feel a thing, so told her after the spinal.

I drank heaps of water and it was painless coming out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Some times they put it in before you are numb so just make sure you tell them you want it in after you are numb.
    I felt a lil sting when they took it out but only last a few seconds... It's a nice relief to get it out, not that it hurts when it's in I was just freaking out when I moved in bed I was gna pull it out lol.
    It was auctually really nice not having to get up all night to pee like I had done for the last few weeks of my pregnancy