+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Quick lunch ideas needed!

Do you have any quick lunch ideas? I'm trying to avoid processed meats and I only buy bread once or twice a week, and I'm sick of toasted tuna sandwiches.

I have a 5mo dd and I have little time to prepare & eat lunch during my hectic day.

So, what lunch ideas do you have? I'm happy to do some cooking and I'm happy to have stuff prepared in the freezer but I'm not a fan of re-heating frozen complete meals - I find it fiddly with our microwave and it can take ages to get the food hot throughout the whole thing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS and I just had microwaved potatoes with pesto, cheese and sour cream. Not the healthiest option, but quick and delicious.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to betherina For This Useful Post:

mim1  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    what ingredients do you have available?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to starflame For This Useful Post:

mim1  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like freezing sauces/stews that you can reheat and while it's reheating you cook some pasta/rice/quinoa/a potato to have with it - complete meal Things like pasta sauces, chili con carne, dahl, curries. My sister has a pie maker and often makes a batch of individual pies that you can freeze and then reheat, it's awesome. You can do the same with a muffin tin.

My go-to lunch at home is usually a poached (in the microwave - I'm lazy) egg on toast. I don't always bother with vegies but if we have baby spinach on hand I'll wilt that, or fry up a tomato or some mushrooms if we've got them. Sometimes I cook a frittata with whatever vegies we've got. I'm vegetarian so all this is designed to get enough protein into my system.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dancermum For This Useful Post:

mim1  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I make lil pizza's on pita bread or those mini pizza bases. Bit of tomato paste, cheese and maybe some chicken or ham. Really quick and easy.

I'm a sucker for a good cheese and salad sandwich on Yummy grain bread.

I agree with the lil pies made in a muffin tray!

Omelettes.

Baked potato with beans.

Soup in winter is fab

Mmm. Off to make a baked potato now

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessC For This Useful Post:

mim1  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Salads. Tuna salad, strips of cooked beef or chicken? Or no meat, just have some nice cheese, grilled holumi? I just buy baby spinach, tomato, cucumber and avo and chuck the meat/cheese on top.

Cup of soups? Or the microwave soups?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jetaime For This Useful Post:

mim1  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    These are some of the things I have for lunch that are quick and easy.

- Jatz or Salada crackers with cheese and tomato
    - Aldi Spirulina and Garlic crackers with cream cheese and mashed avocado
    - Baked beans or spaghetti on toast
    - Platter of chopped salad vegies (baby cucumber, cherry tomatoes, capsicum strips etc), a boiled egg or two, tzatziki to dip vegies and a few rice crackers, chopped up piece of fruit stirred through some yogurt etc. Basically just bits and pieces of what I have on hand.
    - Savoury muffins (bake on wkends and freeze, easy to chuck a couple in the microwave)
    - Pita bread ripped up and brushed with a little EVOO. Chuck in oven till crisp and then use to scoop up garlic aioli and tabouli
    - Dinner leftovers (eg if we have meatloaf or roast meat I will have some of it on a sandwich or toast the next day)
    - Sometimes i will cook some pasta and buy one of those stir through pasta sauces, the spinach and ricotta one is yummy - takes a few mins to cook the pasta and stir through the sauce. Or pasta with a bit of pesto stirred through and a good handful or roughly chopped capsicum, onion etc. Very quick and delish.

In winter I have soups or mac and cheese, stews etc. Stuff that's easy to freeze and re-heat.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to RainbowSky For This Useful Post:

mim1  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister gave me this great recipe for mini quiche type things. I make them every few weeks for a quick snack and to give to dd for lunch at daycare. Dh loves them too so it's a winner!!
    Mix together ; 2 eggs, 100grams grated cheese, 3 tablespoons cream, 100 grams bacon or ham, 1teaspoon English mustard (optional), salt and pepper.
    Line a muffin tin with puff pastry circles and spoon the mixture in. Bake at 160degrees for 15-20 mins or until golden. I make small ones for dd and bigger ones for dh, just put more filling in for bigger ones!
    They are so easy to do!! I usually double the mixture and it makes about 16 little ones!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

mim1  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by starflame View Post
    what ingredients do you have available?
    I usually have bread (for toasting), mushrooms, cheese, eggs in the house. But I'm wondering what other staples I should add to my shopping to spice up my lunches .

Some great suggestions everyone! Might make those mini quiches today

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tried this ;?

So easy a bit for time to cook but so easy to make ...

http://allrecipes.com.au/m/recipe/84...d-egg-pie.aspx