+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with PP who have said that it's easier to travel when they're small. We took DD on her first flight at 4mths and she was great - slept for most of it, and pretty happy for the rest.

She was on formula (not sure if you are formula or breast feeding), and we had a bottle warmed ready for takeoff - but then they took so long to take off that I ended up giving it to her early. It wasn't a problem, and she didn't seem to notice takeoff at all!

I'd recommend packing a couple of 'single use' nappy bags, each containing a nappy, nappy bag, and wipes. That way you can throw the whole thing away if you have to do a nappy change on the plane, instead of carrying a bigger bag + baby down the aisle.

We've flown with her several times now, and I've found that most airlines are really helpful if you have a baby - and you also get to board the plane first for some!

I wouldn't use any drugs (someone mentioned fenurgan) - aside from what Witwicky said about SIDS, there is a % of kids for whom fenurgan has the OPPOSITE effect, and it makes them go a bit over the top. Not worth any of the risks, I would say. Plus most people I know who've flown with babies (me included) have found it trouble-free without needing to unnecessarily medicate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We took DS when he was 9-10 months to America. All up we traveled for 30 plus hours once you took into consideration all the transfers. Here's some advice I gave my cousin when she asked the same question:

As for my tips and tricks for traveling with a 9- 10 month old. I'll give you my ideas and also some that my friend gave me when she took her 9 month old from Toronto to Italy.

- if you are still breastfeeding, let them feed on demand. This was my number 1 saviour on the flights. It meant DS was comforted AND sleepy. I didn't give a stuff about anybody walking by and seeing me because my baby wasn't crying or fussy.
    - get a bassinet if you can. It means you'll be sitting near the bulkhead and don't get a good view of the video screen but I never really got to watch any movies anyway
    - bring lots of baby food you know she likes. Baby food is not a liquid restriction so you can bring as much as you like, within reason, in the cabin. Also pack her food in your luggage in case she refuses the food where you are going. AT least cereal.
    - make up quick diaper packs- a diaper, 2-3 wipes and a disposable bag. That way all you need to take into the bathroom is your little pack to change her. It's also quick to grab.
    - do the same for a change of cloths. Use a ziplock bag and have everything you need to change her into her PJs or an outfit- including a diaper change
    - pack a change of cloths for you and DH as well. In case you NEED a change due to spew, spills, etc.
    - put away some of her favourite toys now and bring them out on the plane. Like new toys all over!
    - pack a familiar blanket or toy that she sleeps with
    - if she takes a dummy, pack LOTS of them. I had all of mine in a little cloth bag so DH knew where they were easily
    - once we got to our destination DS would not settle in the pack'n'play or cribs provided. We just brought him into bed with us. We all slept much better and it helped us get over the jetlag. If you do this just be prepared for the endless 'advice' from people telling you that it's not a good idea.
    - go with the flow because your routine will be out the window. If you try to force the routine it may work or you may just be hitting your head up against the wall and not enjoy your trip. One morning DS woke up at 3:30am. Instead of fighting it we went and watched the sun rise
    - jet lag took us about 1-2 weeks to get over
    - take a stroller unless you know you'll have one when you get there.
    - In retrospect I would have liked to have packed my carseat. But it meant I would have had to check it in and it was one more thing to carry.

Above all have LOTS of patients and understanding. Babies don't understand what is going on, they just know something has changed. Good luck!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to CDNinOZ For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks everyone for all your advice

I am breastfeeding for all those who were asking and yes I'll definitely feed on demand.
    I read that some airlines let you bring the stroller on board?
    Has anyone had experience with this? Or does it get stored away with the luggage? I wanted to avoid taking a stroller but its my DH's first time in Korea and we'll be going sightseeing so a stroller is now going to be necessary...

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a Quinny and it folds up small enough that some airlines allow you to store it as cabin baggage. Most airlines will allow you to take a stroller up to the gate and then you need to fold it and they will store it for you. Just be aware that they are not exactly gentle with them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CDNinOZ For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CDNinOZ View Post
    We have a Quinny and it folds up small enough that some airlines allow you to store it as cabin baggage. Most airlines will allow you to take a stroller up to the gate and then you need to fold it and they will store it for you. Just be aware that they are not exactly gentle with them.
    I'm also going overseas with my DS soon & I have a bugaboo & have been worried about this, not sure whether to take it or not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mm... Mines kind of bulky but light... Maybe I should buy a cheap one just for the trip. Its always good to have an extra stroller right? Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just make sure your stroller will be able to withstand the travel. If its a real cheapy it may be difficult to travel with.
    We have just travelled with strider plus to Melbourne. Had to go in oversize luggage. Not able to collapse at gate.
    When ds was 10 months we bought a stroller which was light and easy. This we were able to take to the gate.
    Honestly, as pram is used until you are in plane, the size doesn't necessarily matter in terms of hassle unless you have long stopovers where bub may want to be in pram and not held.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to moongazer For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would definitely recommend an ergobaby or some type of baby sling/carrier. Good to be hands free at check in/flight transfer/in the airport.

We took a baby jogger city mini. Very lightweight but good quality so could get thrown around a bit.

Use a backpack instead of bag on your hip - easier to get down the aisle.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to kel87 For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (22-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh yes, how could I forget the ergo?! OP, an ergo was a lifesaver for me!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (22-03-2012)