+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Going overseas with DD.

Hi everyone. I dont know if this is the right place to post this question but *fingers crossed*. In 2 weeks I'll be going overseas for a family emergency and wanted to see if anyone could give me some advice or handy tips for taking my DD on a plane. She'll be 4 months old and its a 10 hour flight. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    IS she breast fed?? If so feed her alot on the plane, especially when taking off and landing. If not, feed her a bottle taking off and landing and maybe give her smaller bottles each time so shes hungier more frequently, this will help with the dehydration and ear popping during the flight.
    Try and get a flight for her sleep time, you may get lucky and she'll sleep some of the way. While your there, try and keep er routine the same as possible.

I know fenergen is not recommended for 4 month olds but talk to your doc about knocking her out for some of it...10 hours is a long time!! We recently travelled with my 2 kids and DS (14 months) was a horror so we gave him a half dose of fenergen and he slept...it was GREAT!! I asked the doc before hand if it was ok and he said yeah a half dose is fine. Take a sling and have her close to you, theres more chnace she'll sleep.

Four months is a good age to travel...at lease she doens t move hehehe. 14 month olds wana RUN AROUND

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jennibear For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I travelled to the UK with DS when he was 3 months, 30+ hours door to door. I was pretty worried about it before we left, but he actually slept most of the flight and it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be.

I would request a bassinet for your DD so that she has somewhere to sleep. Be aware that you have to take them out of the bassinet when the seat belt sign comes on :-( If you can't have a bassinet take a pillow for her to lay on on your lap.
    We fed on the take-off and landing, and then on demand during the journey.
    If you are taking a daytime flight and your DD does not sleep well in light conditions take a blanket and some masking tape so you can tape this up to make a curtain over the bassinet to block out some of the light.
    Either carry bubs in a baby carrier or take your stroller through the airport to the gate.

That's all I can think of for now, if I remember anything else I will let you know.

Good Luck.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012),smootch  (20-03-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A young baby is honestly the easiest age to travel with, my recommendations would be to offer breast or bottle for take-off and landing to help with ears and request a bassinet for bub to sleep in. There are only a certain number of bassinets on each aircraft but they are distributed by age of baby, not by first in best served, so you will more than likely be allocated one.

Make sure nappies and wipes are easily accessible and pack spare clothes for both your DD AND yourself If you are travelling alone, don't be afraid to ask the flight attendants to assist with your DD if need be, particularly if you need to use the loo etc.

I wouldn't use phenergan, personally. There is a correlation between SIDS and phenergan, and a baby at four months is more likely to sleep on the plane without needing help compared to an older child. If you think you will need assistance in that respect, perhaps look into some homeopathic solutions.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012),smootch  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have only taken DD (at the time 5mths) on a short hop (just Melb to Sydney) but I fed her before we got on the plane & she slept for most of it. Also made sure to have a dummy on hand for the ascent & descent (couldn't feed as she had to be in a kiddie seatbelt on my lap & fusses if she isn't hungry). And some toys to distract her during the flight.
    Ask for a bassinet for the flight - just check with the airline about making sure you have seats that can have one before you leave. For our flight there were seats that could have a bassinet but they got taken before we checked in... grrr... you would think that if someone books tickets with an infant then they might need those seats & they should be held for them... Lucky it was a short one so just had DD on my lap for the hour or so it took. But for a 10hr flight a bassinet would be really handy so check with the airline well before your travel date.
    Only other thing would be to take a well-stocked nappy bag. Baby stuff doesn't get counted as luggage usually so you can take a carry on bag too.
    And the flight attendants are usually happy to help too. They checked with us on the flight to make sure all was ok & gave me a pillow. Also they let us board first so we could get settled easily.
    Good Luck!
    Last edited by Izzys Dragon; 20-03-2012 at 20:57.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Izzys Dragon For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would like to say not to get the bassinet. You can't put bub in there for landing or take off or turbulence. Plus where you sit you can't have anything near you as it all has to be up in the lockers. Very painful.

Instead ask for a seat next to a vacant one. You get to spread out and eat using the table next to you.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ps I flew 16hrs

Thanks
    Reviews
    We just took our then 6wk old on 4 flights... BNE CHCH - CHCH Nelson and back... he did amazingly for the first 3 as he slept... the difference in him when he was awake (the 4th flight) was incredible - the poor hon had ear problems and so pretty much screamed the whole way, so yes, a lot can be said for travelling when it's their sleep time!!

Other advice I was given before I travelled:

- do layers of clothes, but make sure your bubs is not overheating during the flight. A friend of mine has been a flight attendant for over 20yrs and she said the most common reason for bubs and children to cry on a flight is overheating as parents often assume their child will get cold in the air con.... in her experience this isn't the case... so layer, layer, layer!! Our bub travelled in a single an light pants and was great.

- distract!!! My friend said she often gives unopened peanut packets to bubs as the sound distracts them from what's happening around them

- the more calm you are, the more calm your bub will be!

Good luck!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KatieMarie For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    A young baby is honestly the easiest age to travel with, my recommendations would be to offer breast or bottle for take-off and landing to help with ears and request a bassinet for bub to sleep in. There are only a certain number of bassinets on each aircraft but they are distributed by age of baby, not by first in best served, so you will more than likely be allocated one.

Make sure nappies and wipes are easily accessible and pack spare clothes for both your DD AND yourself If you are travelling alone, don't be afraid to ask the flight attendants to assist with your DD if need be, particularly if you need to use the loo etc.

I wouldn't use phenergan, personally. There is a correlation between SIDS and phenergan, and a baby at four months is more likely to sleep on the plane without needing help compared to an older child. If you think you will need assistance in that respect, perhaps look into some homeopathic solutions.
    All this, and make sure you have snacks on hand for yourself as my four month old slept on me and I didn't want to distract him
    So I didn't move!!!!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by october View Post
    I didn't want to distract him
    So I didn't move!!!!
    Yup!! I had my hubbie putting drinks to my lips and choosing my movies for me... decided not to try and eat as I'm notorious for getting crumbs on the poor lil guy!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to KatieMarie For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (21-03-2012)