+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Amira View Post
    The necklace is a great idea.
    I also brought her a book called Poppy Pretzel. I am also reading it so we can talk about it later. Its really clever and easy read for her too.
    I was hoping for her sake that it was a few years away though. She wasnt impressed when I told her it will last for 40 plus years. But she was amazed when I explained its a sign she can have babies.
    I think the biggest thing I am trying to do it make sure she feels comfortable talking about it and asking questions.
    Sounds like you're doing an awesome job :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She has also mentioned she's a bit worried about wearing a skirt to school. I was thinking of buying some short bike tights or something. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Amira View Post
    She has also mentioned she's a bit worried about wearing a skirt to school. I was thinking of buying some short bike tights or something. Any ideas?
    All the girls I went to school with would wear short cycling shorts under their skirts when they had their period.

Also remember to tell her that like a PP said, leakages happen and she can just run them under the tap and pop her knickers straight in the washing machine and not have to leave them in her laundry basket.

I will also be giving DD a little diary so she can keep track of her period coming up every month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definite agree with making it a celebration and special. My mother made me feel embarassed and awkward about it (even asked how I knew I had my period lol). I definitely won't be doing that with my daughter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Waitingfornumber2 View Post
    Definite agree with making it a celebration and special. My mother made me feel embarassed and awkward about it (even asked how I knew I had my period lol). I definitely won't be doing that with my daughter
    Me either! My mother did the same. I was 12 and seeing as she has been 15 it was impossible that I had my period. She told me they must be poo stains! I trotted off to the shops and bought some pads myself (luckily I was not in such denial). It took her until the next month to get over her denial and have the talk with me. By then they girls at school had done most of the groundwork.

It sound like you are being a wonderful Mum and she will treasure her welcome to womanhood

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethylou78 View Post
    Me either! My mother did the same. I was 12 and seeing as she has been 15 it was impossible that I had my period. She told me they must be poo stains!
    I'm sorry, but I nearly wet myself laughing at this! Seriously mum, even at 12 I think we can tell the diff between blood and poo!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My mum got hers at 8 so thought i would be the same so when i was about 8 she saw this add in Womens Day to send away for lots of books and samples and got me those, so i knew what was coming when it did, i didn't get it till i was 13 and me and a friend who shares my Bday got it on the same day, so we could talk it through together.
    My parents were very open about it all and we had had the s3x talk early on as my little sister had come home from school after being told my her friend what her mummy was doing!!
    I agree with the going out for dinner just the two of you i wish my mum had done that instead of just giving me the books and expecting me to understand on my own. Make her feel super special it's a wonderful and special time in a little girls life.

Have fun tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got my period at 11.
    I wonder if there's a connection between the hormones we ingest these days (chickens etc) and how early girls seem to get their periods these days compared to the last generation...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got mine young as well. My Mum bought me some books and that helped as well.

Can I also recommend you sign up and get her some free samples from the different pad sites (libragirl.com.au etc...just google free pad samples and they will come up). That way she can try a variety and the starter kits come with handy little leaflets as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went out to dinner just the two of us. She loved it.
    i also brought her Kaz Cooke's "Girls Stuff". And she thinks it's great. So informative but funny also.
    i will definitely get some freebies, that's a great idea. And we also grabbed some of those small bike shorts and shes happy with that too.
    Its been a long day but I think we got there! Thanks for the great advice. Not near as scary as it started out.