+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! took medication not recommended for pregnancy, not sure what to do now.. =(

Just found out I was pregnant yesterday, just 4 weeks.. Was also having a really bad fit of allergies the whole day yesterday, and in the middle of the night I just couldnt stand it anymore. Went to the fridge, pulled out my son's bottle of Paedamin, which has an active ingredient Phenylephrine. I read the accompanying sheet and it did not say not to be taken during pregnancy. (might be becos its childrens medication). So I took 14 mls of it, the recommended dose for adults, and ingested a total of 7000mcg of the drug Phenylephrine. Each ML has 500 mcg according to the bottle.

This morning, went to do a search on the web, and it seems Phenylephrine can cause birth defects in pregnant women, esp if taken during the first trimester.. =(((((((( I really dunno what to do now... Plan to go public, so I dont have an OB, my hub says go see a doc, but really dont see how a GP will know anything abt this.. What should I do???????? =( really upset.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly, don't panic! It's probably totally fine if it's just a once-off. You could try a health hotline like Health Direct if you're worried. I think there's also a hotline specifically for medication questions during pregnancy and breastfeeding. I'll try to find the number for you...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There should be a hotline you can call while pregnant. They tell you what meds are okay and what you can do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    congratulations on being pregnant to start with and secondly please don't ever google search anything else during your pregnancy, it will cause you more stress than actually necessary. there are some people that take illicit drugs during pregnancy and they have healthy children.

if you are worried go to the dr get a blood test and ask for an ultrasound. maybe these things will put your mind at ease. or call that 1300health and speak to a nurse.

I don't think that taken only once will have any long term effects but you will have to go to the dr or chemist anyway so you can buy something that you can take for your allergies.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I see you're in NSW. The number is 1800 647 848

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

flioe  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think you're in NSW so call MotherSafe on 02 9382 6539.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

flioe  (20-03-2012),smallpotatoes  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for everyones support! I dint expect to get so many replies so soon! I will call the number and see what they say. Post again later. thanks

A pregnant friend once told me just bear with it when u are sick and pregnant, not taking any medication is best. That is such good advice indeed, dont know why i dint heed it!!!!! not touching any drugs for the rest of the 9 months, hopefully this one makes it though with no probs....

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by nat11 View Post
    See your GP but don't worry too much. As far as I know, not too much gets through before 5 weeks as the baby takes most of it's nutrients from the yolk sac (although those nutrients still come from you). Obviously I'm not a medical professional but I'm pretty sure that's what my GP told me when I was worried about taking medicine at almost 5 weeks without knowing I was pg.
    Yep this afaik the placenta doesn't take over until quiet late in the first trimester

Thanks
    Reviews
    Called the mothersafe number, and the lady told me that at 4 weeks, the baby isnt connected to the blood supply of the mother yet, so its safe.. thank goodness!!! Not planning to go near any other medication as long as I can help it! that was such a scare...

thanks everyone for their replies, it was all extremely helpful!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to flioe For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Call Mothersafe they know what you should do the number is: 9382 6539!!!