+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 1st Pregnancy & I May Have Placenta Previa . . .

I had my morpholgy scan done yesterday & it showed a small part of the placenta covering my cervix. The Doctor said he can't tell if it is attached to the other side so I have another scan in 4 weeks time to have another look.

This is my first pregnancy, only 29 & I've been feeling great! I had a bit of a melt down last night with hubby but I'm trying to remain positive as it may not be the case in 4 weeks time . . .

Has anyone else had this happen to them? Or if you had PP how did you go? Did you require bed rest, how early was bub born & how did you recover?

Like I said, I have to wait 4 weeks & it may not be the case, but I'm interested to know everyone else's experiences. Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi schmara
    Try not to worry too much, at 20 weeks your uterus still has so much growing to do and as your uterus grows the placenta usually (not always) moves upward away from your cervix.
    This is pregnancy number 2 for me and I have low lying placenta and need to check again at 36 weeks.
    My midwife explained that bed rest isn't necessary unless you have had alot of bleeding aswell.
    Low lying and previa are a bit different but in any case, try to remain relaxed for your baby, I'm sure your Doc will take good care of you and bub
    Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I had a similar finding at my morph scan-my placenta was partially covering my cervix. My ob closely monitored this with regular scans to see if it would move. Had a last scan at around 36 weeks and was classed as grade 3 placenta previa.

I had a planned c section at 38w6d. I did have some complications once bub was out and started bleeding quite a lot. I ended up with a bakri balloon in my uterus for 24 hours to help contract it and stop bleeding plus I required several blood transfusions.

I was very lucky that I had no complications during my pregnancy and did not require bed rest.

I hope your placenta moves (as a large majority do if they are not completely coveting).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subscribing as I'm interested in any replies.

This is my second pregnancy and my 20 week scan on Monday showed placenta previa. I have an appointment with the ob on Friday to get the details but I got the impression that it's completely covering the cervix. I was already going to have frequent scans to check on bubs growth after complications in my first pregnancy so I guess they'll keep an eye on the placenta location too now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I am also pregnant with my first child and now in thrid trimester. Had my morphology scan at 19th week and diognised that I have placenta previa, as placenta wall is covering my cervix. But my misdwife suggested me to remain positive. Because study says, almost in 85% cases it will move in third trimester as your uteras gets bigger.
    And it's true in my case. Had my 33rd week scan last week and it is cleared
    and it's all good to birth your child as normal delivery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is really common and happened to at least half the women I know including me! In the vast majority of cases the placenta will move up as you and baby grows.

Someone I know was told hers was quite severe and she was all set for a c-section but her 34 week scan showed it had moved up and all is now well!

I believe there are some restrictions for more severe cases, like no sex, etc but your doctor would go through that if that was the case.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Ladies!

My scan is in another 3 weeks so hopefully it has moved up. My Doctor did say for these few weeks to stay away from sex :-( until the other scan can be done. I'm staying positive & not stressing out about it as there is no point worrying until the day comes around.

I'll let you know how I go