+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm still waiting for this to end and my DS turns 6 very soon. Drives me up the wall. I've lost the battle and I give him a plate with our dinner food (as in fish/chicken/whatever DP and I are having) and also fill it up with a bit of cheese, cherry tomatoes, capsicum, cucumber, baby spinach and the other things he likes because he would honestly rather go to bed hungry than eat a proper meal. The condition is that he at least tries the dinner, sometimes he likes it and will happily eat a decent amount.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    Dd goes to bed at 530 so it's just me and him til 630/7. In that time I wash the dishes, he helps me hang the washing out and water the garden.

He has never liked meal food. Closest thing to a meal he will eat is chicken nuggets (home cooked). I.ve tried having him help me cook it, cooking things toddlers supposedly like, but he still won't eat it. I stop giving snacks 2 hours before dinner

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**
    he sounds like a grazer, which maybe wont be bad now but is a bad habit as it can lead to being over weight as an adult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sounds like he's grazing on the right foods, most cultures graze all day as opposed to eating very large, high fat meals. Look at Vietnam - they seriously eat ALL day and they're tiny!

I think Pregnor's boy will be fine.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Sounds like he's grazing on the right foods, most cultures graze all day as opposed to eating very large, high fat meals. Look at Vietnam - they seriously eat ALL day and they're tiny!

Honestly, as frustrating as it is I would just give him healthy snacks when he wanted them, if it makes it any easier (because I know how annoying it is going back and forth to the kitchen what feels like 50 times) maybe make him up a lot of snacks for the day in one go adjust leave them for him to graze on as he pleases? I know if I feel more organized grazing doesn't feel like such an issue.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    How much water does he drink?

being thirsty and needing for fluids can be confused with hunger - in most people, not just children.

If he hasn't got worms and is properly hydrated, Id be happy with the grazing on healthy foods too...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post

Agreed. Grazing on the right foods can be a good thing instead of stuffing yourself till you can't move.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks ladies, I will get some worming stuff tomorrow to be sure, and just keep up with healthy snacks

It's hard to move away from the standard meals, my daughter doesn't seem interested either so I best get used to it!

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    sounds like he is eating healthy to me (a milk araroot sounds like an ok snack i give it to my 3.5 year old) and eating more than my fussy eater, your doing a good job.
    Was helpful for me to read to worming to, might try that with my ds just to make sure he doesnt have!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have the same most days, it feels like all morning I hear mum I'm hungry or mum can I have some food. Some days I feel like I run out of ideas for healthy snacks.
    In the afternoons I try not to give any food after about 3pm or miss 3 wont eat her dinner. Dinner is usually around 5-5.30pm.
    I don't like resorting to bribery like dessert after dinner but sometimes it is the only thing that works!
    I do try to say if you dont eat dinner then there is no more food until breakfast rather than saying there is no dessert/icecream etc (it makes me feel better anyway even if there is no real difference)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by threechooks View Post
    more protein. Will he eat any meats or fish for dinner?
    I agree- try yogurt , baked beans , cheese or boiled eggs as snacks if he won't eat meats /fish