1 3.33%

1 3.33%
  • 6 - other pls share...

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would want 12 months off, but be open to 6 months if 12 was not doable.

My reality is that childcare was not the best place for my child, but there was no way around it. I can work from home now, but couldn't back then. When people say it is not detrimental to kids, that isn't entirely true. Many people cannot work because their kids cannot attend childcare. It might be ok for your bubba, but just be aware that it is not ok for some.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (20-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Definitely hold off on the pizza idea for a while!
    We own our own business and thankfully DH runs it because as soon as I had DS I never wanted to go back! We were lucky our office is now 8 years old , the first 2 years though we worked 7 days a week, 10 hour days to get it established ( would have been impossible with a baby!)
    I thought I would want to go back ASAP but I was the complete opposite!
    I go in a few hours a week now just to help out ( DS now 17 months, stays with my mum)
    I am lucky that my mum can take him ( and wants him!) anytime as I am the same as you and feel a bit uneasy leaving him at daycare that young

It is hard to know exactly how you would feel until bubba comes but I think you would be better having the full 12 months off and hopefully by then hubby can take an extra day off/ work Saturday's and I liked the idea another pp had about starting the spice business while on maternity leave ( what exactly would the business be? i love Herbies spices in Sydney is that the kind of thing you would do?) your boss does sound great and I'm sure would take you back earlier by the sounds of it if you changed your mind and went back earlier
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 19-03-2012 at 22:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would go the three days at 6 months option too! Having a newborn is waaay too stressful on it's own to be considering starting a business! Financial stress would do my head in too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i went back 3 days a fortnight when DS was 4.5 months old. He went to daycare 1 day a week and i worked 1 weekday and every 2nd saturday.
    I expressed milk for him at work and daycare would give him defrosted EBM on MY schedule. We breastfed for 20 months. we also used cloth nappies at home and daycare too.
    I hated going back so soon, but i had no choice. i should have gone back more as we were in financial strife, but since then (DS is almost 3yrs) i've slowly gone from 3 shifts a fortnight, up to 7, with 2 days of daycare a week. I work an evening shift once a week and mum watches DS for 1-2 hours until DH can pick him up after his work.
    On paper we earn heaps, we don't qualify for any family tax benefit or child care benefit. we pay full daycare fees ($85/day) but get the rebate paid back weekly.
    DS actually really enjoys daycare now, structure and routine (we're not that strict though) are important to kids, they like to know what coming next. I really enjoy working and if we weren't planning another, i'd apply for a level 2 position and throw myself into building my career majorly. i get bored on my days off sometimes!
    when we have another bub, i'll still have to work but not as much as i am now; i'd be aiming for 2 days a week of work and daycare.

ADVICE: 3 days at 6 months; you'll need the money by then. You and bubs will be fine. good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    3 days after 12 months maternity leave is what I would do. I had a year off after DD1 and loved it. It was the best time of my life! I loved every minute of it and don't regret it for a second.

I found things a lot harder when DD1 turnt 1 and started to walk and get into everything. I was glad to go back to work and have her in daycare and she loved it.

We had always planned on more kids and buying a house so I needed to return to work. I only had 3 months off with DD2 and looking back I think I went back too soon, even though DH took leave and was home with her I kinda wish I'd had just a little longer.

Is there any chance you could do 2 office days and one at home? Or perhaps do a few hours in the night or weekends when your DH could be home with the baby. If your boss is as flexible as he sounds then maybe that would work.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    thanks guys for your feedback - I barely slept last night i kept tossing and turnign and when I did sleep I dreamt I was picking my 6mth old up from childcare and she was sitting in a cot at the very end of the big long hallway all on her own crying her eyes out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    3 days per week at 6 months sounds fine to me
    I would not even consider buying your own business- there is alot to be said for earning a good steady wage without the added responsibility of owning a business.
    I would always choose a good child care centre over family day care- centres offer more adult supervision in a safe, purpose-built environment. All the best for your pregnancy and beyond.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'd go back at 12 months TBH. A PP mentioned checking out how much you'll be entitled to from Centrelink - PPL will tide you through for 3 months and you'll receive some FTB albeit nowhere near enough to cover your current wage. It will help with some expenses, but I think it will still be a strain so I voted for return at 12 months.

Child care will be nowhere near $30k. I paid $16k p.a. for 5 days a week, then got just under half back.

Check out a few child care centres, some are bad but some are great. I loved DS' centre and he's certainly not emotionally scarred by ANY stretch of the imagination!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I am feeling terribly terribly guilty at even considering accepting the bosses offer.
    What is this guilt I keep hearing about. Guilty at going back to work, guilty for putting food on the table and clothes on my children's back - certainty not

sounds like something only spoken about my women, men sure don't have the same view point, I think its called providing when they go back full time after a few weeks with their newborn child if they are lucky to get that much time

sometimes I think men have got it right its about time we eased up with the guilty and got on with living

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ohdear For This Useful Post:

Benji  (21-03-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    What is this guilt I keep hearing about. Guilty at going back to work, guilty for putting food on the table and clothes on my children's back - certainty not

sounds like something only spoken about my women, men sure don't have the same view point, I think its called providing when they go back full time after a few weeks with their newborn child if they are lucky to get that much time

sometimes I think men have got it right its about time we eased up with the guilty and got on with living
    my hubby feels just as guilty as me. He would like to take 12mths off too. If we won tatslotto ahh we would both stay home for 12mths and then both work part time for spending money.

but yeh i do see your point - its just reality and be able to provide for our child is important.