1 3.33%
  • 6 - other pls share...

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Expressing at work wouldn't be an issue, its a renovated house so we have a big kitche/lounge area that would be suitable and descrete.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Would your employer consider 2 days at 6 months?

Another thing I was thinking was could your partner work slightly longer days or do some work on the a weekend day, and he could stay home one day with the baby to reduce daycare?

My partner stays home one day with our son and he really enjoys it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Wow you are so lucky!!! I'd personally go back three days at 12 months but if you need the money then 6 months could work too. Such a great offer from your boss!

What are they going to do about your job while you are on leave? Get a temp?

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post

What are they going to do about your job while you are on leave? Get a temp?
    There is a lady who used to work for us as a paraplanner who left because he and her husband started travelling. He thinks he coudld get her back for 6mths, and also the junior he will hire.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Taking into account your financial situation, I think going back to work at 6 months, for 3 days per week with your employer paying for child care is the best option.

My DS has been in child care on average three days per week since he was 5.5 months old and he has not suffered for it. He enjoys playing with the other kids and he has very strong bonds with a couple of the workers so I feel very comfortable leaving him in their care.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd go back at 6 months 3 days a week. My dd is 6 months old next week and I went back to work a month ago. It's earlier than I would have liked, but I own my own business and it was necessary.

I started my own business when I was 6 weeks pregnant and what a nightmare! Running your own business means it's so hard to switch off. Yes, maybe you can work your phone calls around your kids, but often you can't. Having people say "now is not a good time, can I call you back later today?" is certainly not the answer you want to hear when you've got a baby that has 4 naps a day, cause Murphy's Law says that important business call will come just as bubs needs to go to sleep.

The reality is that running your own business well enough to make money will usually take a lot of work, especially in retail. A lot of work with a little baby just doesn't work. As bubs gets older it actually gets harder too. Tiny bubs sleep a lot. Most 1 year olds have 1 nap a day for 2 hours at best AND they can be super clingy/grizzly for the rest of the day. Trying to do all your housework, as well as run your business in that time would be very stressful. Many WAHM's put their children in childcare (or get someone else to look after them) so they can work. My Mum helps me 1 days a week just so I can do paperwork.

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Don't shoot me for saying this, but have you asked Centrelink how much you'll get when bub is born? The baby bonus is currently around $5400 (I think the paid parental leave is more though, and you only get one or the other.) Then you have the two separate family tax benefits, plus the parenting payment. Your husband's income would affect how much you get though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go back to work whenever it is financially necessary as you don't want to deal with that stress along with a new bubba! Dd went to daycare at 12 months for 2 days/ week then after a few months we added another day. She loves it there and I still breastfeed and never had an issue with expressing or supply etc...
    I was very lucky! She is 17 months now and I'm considering another day!
    Her daycare after the 50% rebate costs us $105 for 3 days.
    Remember if you earn under a certain amount as a family, you also get child care benefit which brings down that cost even more. I think the income limit is $130,000 (before tax) combined. I hope you ind the decision that is best for your family!! It's a hard one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    6 months 3 days a week. No one wants to go back and put their kids in day care, it's just a fact of life. I'm about to start back and have just started DD a couple of days a week in day care to get her used to it. She loves watching the other kids and the carers are great with her. They never let them cry, always quick with a cuddle.

You want a job you can do with your eyes closed. There's a lot to be said for a good boss, don't take him for granted. You will need lots of sick days for when your baby is sick and can't go to care, a good boss will make that easier.

Ask for a tour of the local child cate centre. When you go through look and see if the kids are having fun or not. They're always having a ball at my centre. I think kids need more stimulation than they can get at home, especially after 1.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stayed home with bub for 12 months. It was best for me and DS, we got lots of quality time together and I got to see so much as he grew!
    We got paid maternity leave from
    Government and another 8 weeks from my employer so with other annual leave etc we could afford the extra time.
    I have gone back to work 3 days and DS is at childcare. He loves it! And I actually enjoy the time away from him, makes the time we have together so enjoyable and fun!
    We don't get any of the first rebate cos we earn over the cut off, but we get the main 50% back after we've paid and that goes back into our account weekly so we're not really out of pocket that long.
    Our childcare place supplies nappies, wipes, sunscreen, all food etc. DS doesn't have any day bottles, but if he did we'd only have to supply that. But they have to be pre-made so they'd feed EBM or formula.
    You need to choose what is right for you, bub and the rest of your family.
    My idea would be go back to work 6-12 months afterwards for 3 days a week. With your work paying childcare bills etc that'd be a bit hard for me to pass up!
    My DS loves the other kiddy interaction, loves all the ladies who work there and learns heaps of little extra things we don't teach him at home, so I couldn't see him being anywhere else. I think even when I leave work again with #2 I'll leave him in childcare 1 day a week for that interaction and fun!