15 50.00%

12 40.00%

1 3.33%

1 3.33%
  • 6 - other pls share...

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would not advise starting up your own business with a small baby. I run my own firm and it's purely and solely because I have 50/50 shared custody that I'm able to do it. Well, I could do it with a full-time live-in nanny/au pair I guess. It also takes a HUGE amount of mental energy which you're not going to have with a new bub.

I think your boss's offer is fabulous. I would work 3 days and have him pick up the childcare bill. I worked 3 days a week when my DS was six months and it was great for me.

Plus it's best to go into a job that you know and can easily do, when you have a new baby. It's not the time to be taking great leaps of mental agility or having to expend masses of energy learning new tasks.

Childcare is not the devil. Look around you at the adults you know - can you tell who was in care and who wasn't? Thousands and thousands of healthy, happy, well-adjusted children and adults have been in full or part time care from a young age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    There's a good book on young kids in daycare - Raising Babies by Steve Biddulph. Worth a read, although maybe not if you have no choice but to use daycare as it is anti daycare for kids under 3.

I genuinely believe my son has been affected by daycare and it has increased his anxiety.

But, you have to make a holistic decision for your family. Your partner doesn't earn enough so you have to do something, and if a business is going to cause a lot of family stress or anxiety, then part time daycare might be a better option.

The other thing is that it's hard to know how you will feel until you have a baby. you might enjoy or not enjoy being at home.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

betherina  (19-03-2012)

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I should also add. When we planned to have DD I knew I could only afford to stay home for 6 months. In the end it was 7 months so I was on mat leave for 9 months. Considering her sleeping issues and our breastfeeding issues I regret going back to work and wouldn't have if we could have afforded not to.

I went back to work knowing that we would get ourselves in to a better finacial position and that I could stay home with both of them when we had another, I also plan to study. DD will probably be 4 by the time I am a studying SAHM but if we had waited until we could have afforded for me to be a SAHM I wouldn't have DD now. I would rather have DD for the rest of my life with having her in DC from 7 months 2-3 days a week then not having her at all. While I wish I could have had the full 12 months I am happy with my life and our little family.

tiggerfields is offline Priestess of Kult K'iesha... Mooo!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I also bf until 12 months, I used to express at work

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tiggerfields For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    yeh how much is childcare? boss seems to think it may be about $30k pa but you get about 50% back so it would cost him $15K. He says that instead of increasing my wage/tax etc - we would work out how much rebate I will get - I would pay that and then get it back and he would pay the balance each week.

he has asked to think abotu thing and do the research and we will talk again when I am 12wks if all goes well.
    It's between $70 and $100 per day. So it wouldn't be more than $300 per week for 3 days per week, ie. max $15,000 per year, or $7,500 after the rebate. I think the max rebate you can get per annum is about $7,500.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (19-03-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Will childcare give your bub expressed breastmilk or do they only do formula?

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh how much is childcare? boss seems to think it may be about $30k pa but you get about 50% back so it would cost him $15K. He says that instead of increasing my wage/tax etc - we would work out how much rebate I will get - I would pay that and then get it back and he would pay the balance each week.

he has asked to think abotu thing and do the research and we will talk again when I am 12wks if all goes well.
    Childcare costs vary. We pay $82 a day but after rebate (which goes straight to the centre so the money doesn't come to us) is $41/ day. So at 3 days a week that's only $6,400ish per year. I think... Maths is not my strong point!

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfields View Post
    I would love to do this next time as will be studying when bubs is about 6 months. I had major issues last time and DD self weaned at 6 months and I kept expressing so she had EBM until 9 months, I pumped until the pump went dry

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerfields View Post
    I agree, it doesn't have to stop feednig. I fed my son until after 2, and went back to work 3 days a week when he was 3 months. I had my own office and a great employer so no issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Will childcare give your bub expressed breastmilk or do they only do formula?
    They'll give whatever you ask them to give your baby.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lock and Lu For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (19-03-2012)