1 3.33%
  • 6 - other pls share...

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Returning to work - opinions and advice desperately wanted pls?

So I know I am only 7wks and I have lots of time to decide, but there has been some changes in my circumstance which has thrown a spanner into the works.

Will try to keep this brief.

Bascially DH income would not be enough - he is self employed and earns about $1200 per week (but we need to save tax etc). So basically, its about $800 per week. Our mortgage is $600 per week.

So obviously once bub cames, I would still need to look at earning some sort of income. Not sure what entitlements I would have from gov, but I would be eligble for maternity leave which sorts outs 4mths at least which is really helpful.

Returnign to my current job was never really an option sinc ewe don't have family down here and by the time we pay childcare it wouldn't really be worth it.

Anyway, today the boss offered to pay my wage + all my childcare bills. And now I am confused!

So bascially my options
    1. Boss's proposal - come back at 6mths and he will pay wage + all my childcare bills.
    2. Come back at 6mths and work 3 days a week + he pay childcare bills (I just don't htink I could put bubs into daycare 5 days a week) 3days i would clear $600 in wages.
    3. Come back at 12mths and work 3 days a week + he pay childcare bills (I just don't htink I could put bubs into daycare 5 days a week)
    4. Not return to work and try to develop my spice business (I have very slack with it) Imcome is unknown, but I could do it from home and not put bubs into care. It would require alot of effort, trips to Mel and doing markets some saturdays. Plus the responsibility of earning the money, paying bills, driving business etc.
    5. Not return to work and purchase a local pizza shop (we have looked it previously) Cost would be about $20k which we woudl need to finance. Income probably $40-50k profit for 4 nights work. Bub wouldn't need care, again allthe pressure of running own business, lease, business loan, no sick leave etc etc. DH would have to help out somewhat too. Basically look after bub during day the day and then four afternoon/nights a week work in shop (the owners are selling because they have 2 kids nad its too much work because husband has a broken back and it quite lazy) But my DH would have to work full time + help.
    Other background my DH is a bit of stresshead and gets overwhelmed with thinking about being the provider for the family. He works as a chippy and its contract work which can run out every couple of months or a few times a yr. he has never been without work, but it is sometimes stressful.

He also has some passions with market store that he wants to start doign on Saturdays which would make us extra money - but would also mean helping me wiht the kid/pizza shop could be a real strain.

So based on all that what would you do if you were me?? I will add a poll and I am really welcoming feedback and a reality check from those who have kids. Am I kdding myself about what is possible and what is not??

HELP!!!

TIA

eta: I should also mentioned that ideally I would love to be a SAHM - I never wanted to put my kids into childcare and wanted to stay home with them until school age and then only ever work school hrs. I guess I support attached parenting and really wanted to be with them as much as posisble until at least 9-12mths. I wanted to breastfeed for a min of 12mths and extended as long as worked for us. I have concerns about childcare and how it affects children.

Another option would maybe be opening a family day care???
    Last edited by Buttoneska; 19-03-2012 at 19:12.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Do you like your job?

It's hard to say how you would feel once baby arrives, but if I was in your situation, I would choose to return to work after 6 months 3 days a week with your boss paying for childcare!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    wow a boss that will pay childcare costs does he know what he is actually paying

not much of a decision if it was me

new baby and new business no way

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ohdear For This Useful Post:

shhhsleeping  (22-11-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    Do you like your job?

It's hard to say how you would feel once baby arrives, but if I was in your situation, I would choose to return to work after 6 months 3 days a week with your boss paying for childcare!
    I don't love my job, I am an admin/office manager for a financial adviser. the work is a bit crap, but the boss is decent, pay great and he is flexible. I live rural and earn more working for him that I woudl working for anyone else. *unless i started earnign my own money through self employement

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would look to go back to work at 6 Months for three days with an option for 12 months. Having your Childers paid for is an offer you would rarely get from any job. There is nothing to say you couldn't try to build your spice business whil at home or while working part time and try to get it up and running so you can eventually leave your job?

That being said I am not a self stater or interested in owning my own business.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    and a reality check from those who have kids. I have concerns about childcare and how it affects children.
    A reality check is the childcare does not affect children it is a reality for most families that do not have the luxury of many choices

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think it depends on what sort of person you are. Some people can handle the stress of your own business plus a baby. I considered starting my own business before this baby comes, but it's just not in my right now and I will leave it for when the kids are at school, I think.

I am in the same position in that we cannot live off my partner's wage. I will return to work 3 days a week when this baby is 6 months. I would rather wait until 12 months though, but we can't afford it.

I worked 4 days when my son was younger, and it was too much. too much daycare for him and I missed him.

Like a lot of people, I'm not keen on daycare for young kids, but I use it, as like a lot of people, I have to pay the mortgage and don't want to live in complete poverty.

It sounds like your employer is very supportive, which is great.

Don't be too daunted by childcare though. It doesn't cost that much for one baby, as you will get 50% back. So if it's $80 per day, you will only pay $40.

How do you feel about your job? I think if you love a job and it's interesting, you will resent it less. I find my job pretty dry and sometimes I do resent it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ohdear View Post
    A reality check is the childcare does not affect children it is a reality for most families that do not have the luxury of many choices
    this is kinda what i am thinking - maybe creating more stress just to not put bub in care would actually do harm IFKWIM???

Thankyou for saying that, I am feeling terribly terribly guilty at even considering accepting the bosses offer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yeh how much is childcare? boss seems to think it may be about $30k pa but you get about 50% back so it would cost him $15K. He says that instead of increasing my wage/tax etc - we would work out how much rebate I will get - I would pay that and then get it back and he would pay the balance each week.

he has asked to think abotu thing and do the research and we will talk again when I am 12wks if all goes well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is a big decision and so many choices - your head must be spinning!!

If it were me, I would probably go back 3 days a week at 6 or 12 months. It sounds like you need to financially. If you're at home but really struggling financially, it might make all your lives unpleasant.

Can I just say, it is possible to continue a breastfeeding relationship despite not being together all day. My DS is 13 months and is still breastfeeding twice a day, despite me going back to work at 9 months. You can express during the day or even go to the childcare centre in your lunch break and feed. So keep in mind that returning to work will not instantly stop you breastfeeding.

Good luck making your decision!