So I know I am only 7wks and I have lots of time to decide, but there has been some changes in my circumstance which has thrown a spanner into the works.
Will try to keep this brief.
Bascially DH income would not be enough - he is self employed and earns about $1200 per week (but we need to save tax etc). So basically, its about $800 per week. Our mortgage is $600 per week.
So obviously once bub cames, I would still need to look at earning some sort of income. Not sure what entitlements I would have from gov, but I would be eligble for maternity leave which sorts outs 4mths at least which is really helpful.
Returnign to my current job was never really an option sinc ewe don't have family down here and by the time we pay childcare it wouldn't really be worth it.
Anyway, today the boss offered to pay my wage + all my childcare bills. And now I am confused!
So bascially my options
Other background my DH is a bit of stresshead and gets overwhelmed with thinking about being the provider for the family. He works as a chippy and its contract work which can run out every couple of months or a few times a yr. he has never been without work, but it is sometimes stressful.
- Boss's proposal - come back at 6mths and he will pay wage + all my childcare bills.
- Come back at 6mths and work 3 days a week + he pay childcare bills (I just don't htink I could put bubs into daycare 5 days a week) 3days i would clear $600 in wages.
- Come back at 12mths and work 3 days a week + he pay childcare bills (I just don't htink I could put bubs into daycare 5 days a week)
- Not return to work and try to develop my spice business (I have very slack with it) Imcome is unknown, but I could do it from home and not put bubs into care. It would require alot of effort, trips to Mel and doing markets some saturdays. Plus the responsibility of earning the money, paying bills, driving business etc.
- Not return to work and purchase a local pizza shop (we have looked it previously) Cost would be about $20k which we woudl need to finance. Income probably $40-50k profit for 4 nights work. Bub wouldn't need care, again allthe pressure of running own business, lease, business loan, no sick leave etc etc. DH would have to help out somewhat too. Basically look after bub during day the day and then four afternoon/nights a week work in shop (the owners are selling because they have 2 kids nad its too much work because husband has a broken back and it quite lazy) But my DH would have to work full time + help.
He also has some passions with market store that he wants to start doign on Saturdays which would make us extra money - but would also mean helping me wiht the kid/pizza shop could be a real strain.
So based on all that what would you do if you were me?? I will add a poll and I am really welcoming feedback and a reality check from those who have kids. Am I kdding myself about what is possible and what is not??
eta: I should also mentioned that ideally I would love to be a SAHM - I never wanted to put my kids into childcare and wanted to stay home with them until school age and then only ever work school hrs. I guess I support attached parenting and really wanted to be with them as much as posisble until at least 9-12mths. I wanted to breastfeed for a min of 12mths and extended as long as worked for us. I have concerns about childcare and how it affects children.
Another option would maybe be opening a family day care???