+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Scared

I had a c section for twins 19 months ago, I am currently 9 weeks with a singleton, when this bub is due it will be approx 26 months between deliveries.

I would LOVE a vbac as this is my last pregnancy but I have the BIGGEST fear of tearing and having to have an episiotomy (sp) it sounds very petty but in all honestly I have no idea what to do or how to think, I feel that I would rather recover from a csection then have to deal with lots of stitches down below, it would be an absolute dream to have a natural drug free birth but I really need to overcome my fears.

Does any one have any ideas on how to over come this?
    Last edited by Abi&Beth; 19-03-2012 at 15:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its a rational fear hun. I had the same fear before having DS but he ended in an emergency c-section anyway. If you can get through a c-section recovery, you can get through stitches down below.

There isn't a way to get yourself through it besides knowing that the pain relief will be just as available as it was with the c-section. They won't stitch you up without pain relief if you need it Speak with your hospital and mention your conerns and they can tell you how they do things there.

Good luck with your VBAC!

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't think that is an irrational fear, because I was exactly the same. When planning my VBAC I was terrified of tearing. The odds of tearing during a natural labor without any intervention is actually quite low, but just my luck I still tore lol... After I gave birth I didn't even know I had torn and it was a 3rd degree tear. It took a little while to stitch but straight after I got up, had a shower, went to the loo and had a feed... So much better than after my cesarean, where I was stuck in bed for a day, couldn't move without pain, couldn't pick my baby up without help, couldn't shower myself for the first time after the birth... Honestly for me a 3rd degree tear was a thousand times better than a cesarean

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I don't know how you get over it. I was rather terrified about my VBAC as well, but by the time it came I was SO over the pregnancy I was more thrilled than anything else. In the end it didn't work out though.

I did find reading success stories did ease it a bit, and also surrounding yourself with people who support you and believe in you (I didn't have this but I think it would have been nice.)

Guest Guest
    This was my fear as well! But during labour I pushed nice and slow and only during a contraction (even though I wanted to keep going just to get it over with) doing it drug free let me feel when it was getting painful and how hard to push and stop.
    I still got a 2nd degree tear but it was internal not on my perenium and no epesiotomy (I would have said no anyway)
    My tear was nothing like my c/s, not even close, I was up 2 hrs later showering, I could walk and sit with ease and 2 days later I was home and out shopping, I couldn't do that after my c/s. the only time I actually felt anything was the first 2 weeks needing to pee, I had to use water and I got a heamoroid, then when I dtd for the first time.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When I was faced with a birth fear I found the best thing to do was to learn about it or in this case how to avoid it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone! It's such a daunting thought but I guess it what my body was made to do so I'll just have to do it lol