+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trying to settle a newborn with noisy sisters

How on earth do you get a 20month old to not YELL while you get the newborn settled!? I don't mind normal talking/playing but she screams at the top of her lungs or decides it's time to bring out all the noisy toys! Does everything she can to keep bubby awake... It's doing my head in! And DD1 (nearly 4) isn't much better!

Any advice on how to keep the older 2 occupied while I settle DD3 would be awesome... It was so much easier going from 1 to 2 than 2 to 3
    Last edited by Nmgb; 19-03-2012 at 17:44.

Nmgb is offline No relationship is all sunshine, but two people can share one umbrella and survive the storm ♡
    Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you so much for your reply. They are just so out of control whenever i go near DD3. I know it's normal sibling jealousy but they are waking her up constantly. She's 6 weeks tomorrow and the longest sleep in one block today was an hour and a half. If/when i do get her to sleep i have to put her in her cot so they don't touch/poke her then as soon as she's in her cot DD2 is banging on the door, so i can't win. I've tried the "if you be quiet for mummy you can have pfeffernusse when bubba is asleep." Even tried playdough they just fight. I honestly don't know how others cope. DD3 is so irritable cos she's exhausted and DD1 & 2 are wanting undivided attention that i just can't give them...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Abc for kids, a baby gate at the bedroom door and the bedroom door almost closed is working for us right now. But now that DS is 4 months old he's learning to settle despite the noise of his sisters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by KAnn; 27-03-2012 at 05:57.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KAnn For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (20-03-2012)

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm in the same place right now - so here's what I do!

I wear baby a lot, she has a good long stretch of sleep on me, inquisitive fingers cannot reach and I can go outside and still focus on fun play activities, which distracts the toddler. It's not fool proof as she's still noisy but baby is getting sleep and toddler is getting stimulation.

Can you babywear? Try a wrap or an Ergo - I find they are better than a ring sling at this point as you can move around more with less head movement.

Do You have a baby swing that can be moved into a room? That constant movement may help bubba to sleep longer, and keep it safer?

I also recommend a white noise app like IRelax or something similar to drown out the house noises - today I combined the swing and the white noise (loud) and got baby to nap for 4 hours this afternoon. Other days it's in the carrier or wrap for 2 hour nap.

Also, I try and get my toddler as involved as possible - nappy changes, singing, cuddles, all the positive things so she doesn't feel like all I say whenever they are together is stop touching!

I hope you all find something that works!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, yes TV is acting as a bit of a babysitter at the moment only when i'm doing stuff for bub but still feel guilty. Just need to adjust to 3 (we all need to adjust a bit) hopefully it won't take long...
    Thanks for the white noise suggestion, works well until the door banging starts. Unfortunately we rent so can't use baby gates cos they dent the walls slightly.

I had DD3 in the sling yesterday, it's the only way i got the dinner prep done. But as soon as i put her down to cook she woke. And while i'm holding DD3 DD2 screams! I try really hard to include her and never tell her "don't" i tend to re-direct eg. she touches her soft spot (rubs quite firmly) so i tell her it's lovely rubbing and bubba likes that on her leg but yesterday she came over and smacked bub in the face for no reason other than i was holding her. She wont listen to me at all she folds her arms and ignores or throws herself on the ground and cracks it...

Thank you all for your words of wisdom. I guess we all just do our best until it works...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Last edited by Nmgb; 23-03-2012 at 13:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I know you have prob tried this but have your older 2 got their own babies (dolls) that they can feed, burp, rock etc. it's so frustrating- we are expecting number 5 and if I had a dollar for every time I've list my nana over the older kids waking the baby if have a fully time nanny. Also love the white noise app- we just have the free one from iTunes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    ooh a full time nanny that would be so handy sometimes! Haha still just bumbling along. DD2 has got over the violence now which is good she likes to "help" now. Still struggling at dinner and nap times... Don't know how all you other mummy's so it. Tried their baby dolls but DD2 want it to be with DD3 haha it's fine while their daddy is home cos they're too busy mauling him to care what i'm doing. Don't know how i'm going to cope when he goes away for 80 days in may

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    i just wore dd in a sling, and she was rocked to sleep while i chased the twins around.
    hoping bellyfruit sleeps well like that too!