+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Numeracy skills for preschoolers

I would like for my 3.5 year old to do a numeracy program (not online if possible) to start improving her maths ability before starting school. Does anyone know of anywhere? I live on northern beaches. A program along the lines of where she attends weekly for 30 mins or so.

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you don't mind me asking, is there any special reason why you want your child to start a numeracy program so soon? There is a lot of research out there (I can find it if you like) showing that early schooling has little to no benefit to children.

Have you looked into Kumon?

Thanks
    Reviews

Rather than a numeracy program, why not spend ten to fifteen minutes per day counting with her, teaching her shapes, playing fun games with blocks and groups of toys. Ask her which is bigger, smaller, taller, longer - introduce mathematical language. Get her to select the biggest jar of jam at the supermarket. Let her handle real money. Cook with her - add one cup of flour etc. there are so many great, fun activities you can do together and you will be giving her real life context.

And then repeat it every day/week.

Online programs won't help at this age - she has no context or real life examples to draw on. It won't mean anything to her.

I teach early years and know that these things work much better than an isolated lesson for 30 minutes per week.

Have fun with it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

You could try some songs with counting in them! Especially ones with counting back and taking away!