+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Metformin for PCOS

Hi Ladies,
    Just wondering if anyone else is taking Metformin at the moment?
    Two weeks ago I began taking 2x 500 tablets of the slow release version... and boy is it making sick!

I have a shocking headache all day long, on and off bout of nausea, I have no energy at all, and without being too graphic, I’m losing a few kilos the gross way!

Was just hoping to hear from any of you experiencing similar side effects or if you have any suggestions as to how to combat them.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ms Jo,

I just picked up my prescription from the chemist and I'm scared! They said I will most likely get the symptoms you described. My FS said to start off with half a tablet a day and then build up to three a day - BUT that I might never tolerate three a day and that's ok to stay ona lower dose.

Keep me posted on how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm on it and yes it's best to start slow and build up. I felt so sick when I first started, for a few weeks all I could do was sleep and dry retch. But it did ease off, all symptoms except for the runs . I still get a moments notice to make it to the toilet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Ladies

I'm on Metformin too. I'm on 3 500mg tablet per day to be upped to 4x tablets a day on Thursday.

For my first stim cycle back in August 10 I was on them too and they made me nauseous all day long. This time I haven't had the nausea. So far anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there, I am not on it, but from what I hear you have to start off slow and then increase slowly or you get a lot of the side effects. Good luck, I hope it works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been on Diabex 2000mg extended release for 3 cycles now, it gets better after around 6 weeks, the headaches go, and toilet time isn't so unpleasant

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you ladies for your replies.
    My next question is...
    Besides all the yuckiness, have any of you found the Met to have a positive result? I'm especially interested in weight loss.
    Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I first used metformin 5 years ago when I started ivf and had no side affects at all but did lose a bit of weight, until I started all the ivf hormones! It took 2.5 years to conceive my daughter and I was on it all the time. I'm about to start ivf again next week and have been back on metformin for just over a month and have had all the side affects this time, I haven't been able to get onto the 3rd tablet yet cos I just can't tolerate it. I have no idea why it is affecting me so differently now. This time I haven't lost any weight despite the side affects but I am 5 years older and in my 40's . I ended up with gestational diabetes when I was pregnant and on insulin injections twice daily, it was far better than taking these awful tablets, but I now don't care what it ever did to me cos it was all worth it in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't get to ivf stage but I was on metformin while ttc #2 & 3.

I had all the side effects you described for 4 months when ttc #2 and lost about 6kg in total (only started at 63kg so quite a noticeable loss) but then when I went back to FS to begin ttc #3 he put me on a different type. He said it was a slow release formula and he'd found it to be better for nausea and diarrhea and I found it much better. I didnt lose any weight and the only side effects I had were from the clomid I also had to take.

I can't remember the dose or what it was specifically called as it was over 2 years ago but maybe ask if there is a different formula available?

Good luck with ttc x