+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Formula / cows milk constipation

So as some history. Dd was on Nan ha gold but was having constipation issues. I questioned a dairy intolerance so changed to goats at about 6 months. She had an improvement so i avoided all dairy for a few months. Then at about 9 months i started giving cheese and other dairy products and using cows milk for cereal, which she seemed to be fine with. At 12 months i have just changed her back to cows based formula and after 2 weeks she has serious constipation again (very painful and very sad baby).

So my question here is do you think its cows milk or just the formula itself? Should i convert her to whole milk and expect an improvement or go back to goats milk? I really don't want to go to fresh goats milk as it is $4 a litre and dd is still having 4 bottles a day (although im working on changing that)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would suggest asking a GP, Paediatrician or immunologist rather than trying to self diagnose as allergies are a serious issue and you want to know for sure before excluding anything from your babies diet.

But if it helps, I was told y'day at the Children's Emergency Department in Brisbane that allergies don't usually cause constipation in children (personally I disagree, but I'm no doctor so I guess I have to be led by them...).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks... Unfortunately the health professionals in my area have been rather hopeless regarding this

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Go back to the goats formula, then as her bottles reduce try a2 milk ( easier protein to digest than normal cows milk) but as pp said maybe get her tested to see if she does have an intollerance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can't offer any advice regarding formula, but just wanted to mention that DS is cows milk protein intolerant and used to get constipated. Never an issue now that he is off dairy.

Can you get a referral to an immunologist?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mumma2011 View Post
    Thanks... Unfortunately the health professionals in my area have been rather hopeless regarding this

Mine too! I'm still waiting for my paediatrician to call me back, hopefully he'll either be able to help OR point me in the direction of someone who can help!

Good luck mate!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'd go back to what you were giving before. It worked. If the cost is an issue after a few weeks, once bub is back to normal 100% then try the cows milk. If you try the cows milk now it will be hard to tell how bub copes as you said she's already miserable and constipated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. She is back on the goats... Hopefully it will correct soon. She is teething as well so we had a very rough night. Poor bubba.