+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default what do you feed your toddler, snacks ..lunch?

Hi ladies I'm after ideas or suggestions on snacks and lunch ideas for my two children, ds1(3) and ds2(21m)

They are very fussy... As you probably guess.

What do you feed your toddler/s?

I want to add more range because I'm sick of them only eating the same thing.

I try a wide variety but they won't touch majority of stuff.

They LOOVVEEEE toast. They eat apple's, sometimes eat watermelon, love mash potato, spaghetti Bolognese, but I'm really after snack lunch ideas.

They also like cocktail Frankfurts, fritz. I want to try to steer away from this.

I know people say keep offering healthy snacks and if they're hungry they will eat, but no... Mine won't. I regularly make fruit salads with a large rang of fruits, if they eat anything it will be a little bit of watermelon.

Any replies would be very much appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to missymoo9 For This Useful Post:

Becks23  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    how about changing your toppings on the toast?
    ie mashed banana with honey, hommus, tuna/cheese, ham/cheese, pesto chicken, bolognaise toasted sandwiches,

as a kid I loved jaffles so mum would often pop leftover curry as the filling

might work for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi missymoo your LO's sound like mine..

actually they sound like better eatters then mine.

They will eat:
    • anything crumbed (fish, chicken, steak etc only crumbed, very time consuming but i bake it so its not so unhealthy)
    • fresh fruit and veg (anything that can be eaten raw)
    • anything crunchy (toast, chips, crackers, again i try to make all of this at home)
    • any kind of dairy (yogurt, cheese, milk)
    sounds like a pretty healthy diet, but they only way i can get them to eat any of this stuff is by a.helping me shop/letting them pick fruit and veg to try, and b.helping me 'chop it up' and 'cook' it.

To be honest they eat much much more during the preparation then once its served on their plate.

I get the chopping boards out and give them a plastic picnic knife each and let them 'chop' things up on their little table and explain what they are and what theyre like (eg, apples are like pears, but different )

Its time consuming but it is alot of fun. We serve most lunches and dinners like this.

(I have twin DD's 21 months x)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I make:
    savory pancakes &muffins.
    Muesli bars
    Fresh and dried fruit
    Crakers and dips
    Pop corn
    She gets fairy bread as a treat.
    Sushi
    Chicken nuggets (I marinate them in a sauce then dip them in rice crumbs and pop in the oven)
    Mini pies made out of wraps.
    Fried rice rolled into balls then I make a few dipping sauces
    Spring rolls (I'm very naughty and buy these so it's a very very occasional treat)
    I make seasoned chips out of mountain bread and leb bread. Put heaps of herbs ad spices on them, cut them up and cook till crispy
    Also to the same with potato slices.
    Mini pizzas with English muffins.
    I also make mash potato and put lots of herbs and spices in it then pipe (or just dollop with a spoon) it onto a tray and cook them till crispy.
    Last edited by waterlily; 19-03-2012 at 09:23.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (19-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I try only give toast/sandwiches every second /third day and i usually try and save last nights dinner as his lunch - especially if its pasta/curry/rice our fav lunch meals are;

Salmon cakes ( just made these for today!) you can do tuna/crab etc
    Mini quiches or egg and veggie frittatas
    Zuchini slice
    Mini meatballs ( lamb or chicken)
    Falafel kebabs( with mountain bread)
    Mini pizzas ( if I don't have homemade dough I use pita bread)
    Rice cakes with avocado and cheese or tuna

I always make him a side salad of cucumber/lettuce/tomato/olives with a splash of olive oil and apple cider vinegar , he never ate it in the beginning but now gets cranky if his salad is not served with his lunch!

We do go out for lunch a few times a week so he is used to a big variety!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a dehydrator and a Thermomix, today the 1yo and 2.5yo are eating home made pizza, homemade roll ups and a glass of milk each. This is a typical lunch.

They also had sandwiches, fruit skewers, dried fruit, vegetable chips, homemade ice cream or sorbet, a bowl of yoghurt, fresh fruit, chicken nuggets, meatballs, pasta bake.

If you can get your hands on the Dora and Diego cookbook. I got it from Target and there are some great kid-friendly recipes in it.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    for my boys, the secret with lunch is to make sure I serve it 'tapas' style.. so lots of different selections on the one plate. Usually they eat most of it, some days they will eat something that they wouldn't touch the day before etc.. it's been a real winner for me, and I also find I'm not throwing as much food away as I used to be because I can wait until after they're finished and just have that for my lunch

But- if you figure out the secret to dinner time, let me know. My boys are notorious for not eating much at tea time at all

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am so jealous of you ladies whose kids eat a varied diet.

Op my DS is like yours. He is sooooooooo fussy, it actually makes me cry.

Some days he eats ok and on others he will eat like a bird.

In the mornings he will usually eat 1 weet bix or some porridge.

Morning tea might be scrambled eggs, or otherwise nothing.

Lunchtime today was baked beans. cocktail frankfurts happen here too, or tempura nuggets. Usually I try to give last nites left overs but today there aren't any.

Dinner is usually a stew where I try to pack it full of veggies and protien.

He isn't into fruit at the moment, wouldn't eat grapes if his life depended on it. He likes yogurt but refuses to try it and unless I pour it down his throat (which I don't like to do) he won't eat it.

The portions he eats are so tiny it's crazy.

I just bribed him into eating a goulburn valley fruit.

He won't eat by himself and he doesn't like food thT isn't warmed up.

If you ever figure out how to get your boys to eat, let me know

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Funniest Caption
    All dd will eat at the moment is 2 minute noodles.... Everything else goes to waste

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sandwiches, fritz, savoury muffins, - mainly things that can be eaten as finger food.