+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Suggestions for a 13 month old's daily diet

At 13 months old, DS is having about 6-8 bottles over 24 hours (depending on how the day goes and what we're doing).

I've come to realise that solids should be primary and formula (or evidently, cows milk??) should be secondary. TBH, I'm a little embarrassed that I didn't realise this until now :-(

Just wondering what other kids his are are eating each day?? DS will have:
    *A bottle upon waking up.
    *Then mid morning will be either toast or weetbix, followed by a 150ml bottle (all bottles have 30ml extra water).
    *Lunch time will be either a bit of chicken/veg/pasta/sauce or baked beans, with another bottle to follow.
    *Another bottle in the afternoon.
    *Dinner time, same as lunch options, plus bottle.
    *Sometimes another bottle before bed if he doesn't go to sleep soon after dinner, then 1-2 bottles throughout the night, as he still wakes up a couple of times.
    (Note: Doesn't have any cows milk - didn't know they were supposed to at this age!)

I would love some advice and/or suggestions! Please don't scold me for being a bit behind in this department - I have he baby books still sitting on my shelf waiting to be read :-/

I appreciate you taking the time to read this and TIA for any responses :-) <3

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't worry too much, maybe just try switching some bottles for a sippy cup of water? Snacks of fruit and cheese or yoghurt are nice too. My latest trick is to offer a chopped up version of our meals, but if that's too difficult for DD (13mths) to eat then I mash it. This gives her lots of tastes and flavours and practice at eating real meals. It's much easier then preparing separate "baby" food too! Good luck

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seraph8 For This Useful Post:

GothChick  (19-03-2012),MoonMoon  (18-03-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Just out of curiosity, what formula is he on?

It can be hard, my daughter is the same age, and doesn't eat much

She likes weet bix w/ honey
    Grapes
    Cucumber
    Tuna mayo sandwiches/peanut butter
    Broccoli (broccoli cauli nuggets were a hit)
    cheese
    Yoghurt
    Boiled eggs
    Meatballs

I just offer what I am having or what my 3 year old is having. The other day she ate half a mushroom on the way home from the fruit and veg shop! Dont be afraid to offer different things, he may surprise you!

But most stuff she just has a taste and throws it on the floor!
    Yoghurt

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post

Grapes
    Cucumber
    cheese
    Yoghurt
    Boiled eggs
    Meatballs

I just offer what I am having or what my 3 year old is having. The other day she ate half a mushroom on the way home from the fruit and veg shop! Dont be afraid to offer different things, he may surprise you!

Yoghurt

He's on nan pro gold ha #2 (I read somewhere not to bother going up to #3 as it has more sugar??)

I think that's it, offering him stuff and being prepared that he might chuck it on the floor 10 times but maybe on that 11th time he'll love it!

One thing that's a pain is he likes to shove the entire piece of food in his mouth, no matter how big :-/ so what I give him has to be bite size - which is not difficult really I guess.

Thanks ladies for the replies :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Grapes
    Cucumber
    cheese
    Yoghurt
    Boiled eggs
    Meatballs

I just offer what I am having or what my 3 year old is having. The other day she ate half a mushroom on the way home from the fruit and veg shop! Dont be afraid to offer different things, he may surprise you!.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 12 month old has cows milk in a tippy cup when he wakes up. Then breakfast is 1 weetbix mashed with banana and milk.
    Morning tea 1 piece of toast with butter or cream cheese and a few grapes or blueberries
    Lunch can either be a sandwich, pasta and sauce with veg, or a selection of fruit, veg, cheese and meat or fish. Followed by a yogurt and a tippy cup of milk.
    Afternoon tea some fruit and rice crackers.
    Dinner similar to lunch.
    Milk in tippy cup before bed. Ds drinks HEAPS of water throughout the day.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would start by cutting out mid morning and afternoon bottles and replacing them with snacks like yogurt , maybe homemade dips like hummus or tzatiki with either cucumber or bread stick dippers, afternoon I would try rice cakes with avocado or cheese and offer varieties of fruit all the time
    Then I would start offering breakfast before bottle of a morning
    My 17 month old DS still has a bottle at night before we put him to bed, I have not changed to cows milk ( we do use A2 or almond milk for our afternoon smoothie!)
    I would not switch him to other milks until you think all his nutrients can be obtained from food ( cows milk does not have iron )

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 13 months and he eats like a mini me, sometimes he'll eat more than I do though.

A standard day includes:
    2-2.5 weetbix with a cup of cows milk for breakfast, recently been adding saltanas on accasion. Or he'll eat a 1-2 slices of toast, or a couple of pancakes (special occasions)
    From about 11.30-12 he'll start eating again and will continue on and off till about 2-3pm. This may be anything from the following list:
    cheese stick
    tub of yoghurt
    sandwich
    deli meat
    fruit
    baby fruit muesli bar
    rice cakes
    (may be all of this depending on the day)

Then he'll have dinner, what we eat, so meat and vegies or salad, or pasta dish etc
    He has a 200ml cows milk bottle before bed, just recently finished using formula completely.

But it's so much easier to organise now, especially when we're out for dinner, we can order a kids meal and he'll easily polish of a kids roast and vegies!

Oh forgot to add, he also drinks water like it's going to run out!
    Last edited by Bundleoflove; 19-03-2012 at 09:50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my ds is 13 months too. he is still on formula and at this point im happy to keep him on it as he just doesn't eat well enough. he refuses water completely so his only water is in the formula.
    i offer him what we are having mostly. and i offer 3 meals plus prob up to 5/6 snacks throughout the day but he mostly just squashed.it up and throws it rarely tasting at all
    he likes bread and cheese and grapes and and blueberries and mashed potato. not a whole lot else as yet so that's pretty limited. and he seems a bit lactose intolerant so no thoughts here of switching.
    he prob has 4-6x150ml3scoop bottles in 24 hour period.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son is 17 months, so I little older than yours, but he's been eating like this for a while now so it might still be relevant.
    For breakfast he will have 1.5-2 warm wheetbix with puree fruit. Plus a piece of toast with cheese, vegemite, peanut butter (anything really).
    He'll have a morning snack generally fruit (watermelon, grapes, banana etc), or biscuits or something like that.
    Lunch he'll have a sandwhich with some sort of spread or deli meat, he also like tin spaghetti so will have that sometimes. He also likes avocado on sandwhiches. He will generally have a yoghurt at lunch time too.
    Afternoon tea is cheese and bickies, rices cakes, fruit bar, fruit. Whatever really.
    And dinner is generally whatever i'm having.
    He has a sippy cup of milk after dinner, and sometimes he'll have one during the day. He loves his water and sips on that whenever he wants.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub